Tutoring: advice needed, Unambitious to Professional

Hi everyone!

I've got a promising regen though the club's own ranks in my LLM FM10 save in season 2036/37. Unfortunatly he has an Unambitious personality. Since I've just started smelling the roses of higher league competition with the club I am currently at, cash is on a budget due to the impending doom that is called relegation.

I've tried to get him tutored by a Model Professional and a Professional (my team's captain), but I got personality clashes for both of them close to the end of 180 days of tutoring. Even though he is only 17 years of age, his reputation now exceeds my 32 year old low profile Model Professional tutor (once a first teamer, but at this point only a backup player). I am now considering my options. I will be selling off a few backup players and see if I can free up funds to bring in an older (28+ years of age) player, hopefully an international/ex-international, to tutor him past his Unambitious personality, and hope my team captain can have a second go at tutoring him a year later on, hopefully with a better result.

I've already lost two chances on a change, I would prefer preventing a third failure. What would be the best personality to bring in at this point to guarantee a change for the better? The personalities I'm considering for the new tutor are Resolute, Spirited or Light-Hearted at this point, but I am unsure if either of these three would guarantee success. Would it perhaps make more sense to go for a Fairly Ambitious / Fairly Professional / Fairly Determined / Determined tutor?

Thanks for any help :)

Well, personality clashes are random, so you don't really need to worry about matching personalities.

For this personality type, your main concern is that he lacks the attributes that most heavily influence the rate of skill development (Professionalism and Ambition), so you're going to want to raise one of those, if not both, or your youngster likely won't develop far beyond his current skill level. Of the personalities you listed, Resolute and Spirited would be the better options, though I think Ambitious would be a better way to go. If you can find a Perfectionist, that would work well too.

Thanks for the advise, The Hand of God, SCIAG. Will try that. His determination is 9. The Model Pro has 15, my captain has 19. Will try and find a resolute / spirited tutor for him. I have been unable to find a perfectionist tutor for him. They might be around, but I play with hidden stats so I'm bound by what my scouts are able to find for me :)

Another question I am wondering about. I've never managed it, but has anyone ever successfully managed to train a promising youngster into a Model Citizen?

Thanks for the advise SCIAG, will try that. His determination is 9. The Model Pro has 15, my captain has 19. Will try and find a resolute / spirited tutor for him. I have been unable to find a perfectionist tutor for him. They might be around, but I play with hidden stats so I'm bound by what my scouts are able to find for me :)

Another question I am wondering about. I've never managed it, but has anyone ever successfully managed to train a promising youngster into a Model Citizen?

Yes, many times, but not from unambitious. I steer clear of these types (no matter what their potential) since I failed miserably to improve one who fell out with five different tutors.:( (FM10)

In your OP you said, "I've tried to get him tutored by a Model Professional and a Professional (my team's captain), but I got personality clashes for both of them close to the end of 180 days of tutoring." I'm surprised the tutoring lasted so long without any change in the younster's personality.

All youngsters that I have tutored who fell out with their mentor late in the session showed some improvement in their personality, all unambitious youngsters I have had tutored, who fell out with their mentor, did so early on and had no change in their personality. (none that could be seen without an editor anyway)

In your situation I would start tutoring him, for a third time, four/six weeks before the start of the winter transfer window and monitor his progress closely.

*If there was no change after eight weeks I would loan out the youngster to end the session before they fell out.

*If there was a little improvement in the youngsters personality I would let it continue as long as I dared then loan out the youngster to end the session,

*but if there was good improvement I would take a chance and let the tutoring session run it's course.

Hi pigfacemonkeyman, yes, I was surprised aswell that both sessions ended with a personality clash close to the end of the cycle. I haven't had it happen that often, most of the clashes I encounter happen fairly shortly after the session has started, similar to yours. The youngster didn't improve his determination or personality in both sessions, however, I didn't keep an eye on his media handling skills to see if those changed for the better. His professional value, along with his ambition value just might have been really really low.

I'm nearing the end of my third tutoring cycle. I've taken The Hand of God's advise ("Well, personality clashes are random, so you don't really need to worry about matching personalities") and got him tutored by a third Professional personality player I brought in; a 33 year old venezuelan international with 15 determination (of which my fans thought immediately as a waste of money). The youngster's determination has only just now risen to 10, and there have been a few stat improvements lately. His personality still reads "unambitious", but his media handling skills say level-headed, which according to the personality guides I've seen is reasonably positive, so I am hoping I will soon receive a message saying that the tutoring was successfull :)

He's going to be 18 in a month's time, even if this doesn't work I'm going to try for a fourth time. Manchester City and a few other clubs are after him, so he must have some skill on the ball. It's not that often that I get a kid like that come through my club's youth system (average youth facilities). I must try :D

Of course you must :thup: Has he picked up any PPMs?

If this session ends amicably you have a good chance of improving the rest of his personality attributes to a reasonable/good level, along with further improvement in those that have already risen, because you will have a tutor you know works and it is likely to be easier to improve the youngster as he will be starting from a better level.

With a bit of luck a second stint with the same tutor might raise the youngster's personality enough to stop him falling out with further tutors. (randomness aside ;))

I was referring to buying in youngsters when I said I steer clear of Unambitious types, I have to admit I would try my damnedest to improve one that came thru my system, as I did with that five tutor rejecting SOB.

Fingers crossed and good luck. :)

Got a message in my mailbox yesterday that my trainee's tutoring was successfull, he didn't learn anything substantial (the tutor didn't have PPM's, so that's nothing new), but did gain an insight in the mental department. He's still unambitious! Man, this guy's a tough cookie to crack!

I can't seem to tutor him so soon after his tutoring session ended. Does anyone know how long I have to wait before my other tutors show up in his player link list? I am planning to let him be tutored by a Fairly Ambitious player now and see if that helps.

Got a message in my mailbox yesterday that my trainee's tutoring was successfull, he didn't learn anything substantial (the tutor didn't have PPM's, so that's nothing new), but did gain an insight in the mental department. He's still unambitious! Man, this guy's a tough cookie to crack!

I can't seem to tutor him so soon after his tutoring session ended. Does anyone know how long I have to wait before my other tutors show up in his player link list? I am planning to let him be tutored by a Fairly Ambitious player now and see if that helps.

Try Balanced first, then something better. Make sure the reputation of the tutor is higher than the tutee's, as well as perhaps the CA star rating.

Try Balanced first, then something better. Make sure the reputation of the tutor is higher than the tutee's, as well as perhaps the CA star rating.
I've got a 21 year old Romanian international who's Fairly Ambitious which I am hoping to use. I've put myself on a tight wage budget and transfer policy as long as I am unsure of my squad's potential to stay up in the league and not relegate.

To add (because the tutoring system just doesn't make any sense to me at times), both he and my youngster (18 now) have a reputation of National, but the Romanian's current CA is higher. The Romanian is listed as DC/DM/MC (accomplished/natural/natural), the youngster as DC/DM/MC (natural/natural/accomplished), but he's not in the player link list (no players show up currently). Past tutors of his were a Model Professional DC (natural), my Professional captain DC/DM/MC (accomplished/natural/accomplished) and lastly another Professional DC (natural).

I have no idea if my Romanian international doesn't show in his player link list due to him not being able to be tutored again so soon, if it is because I am currently retraining my Romanian international to become a natural in the MC spot or if it's because my aimed tutor's reputation is dodgy, but he's a Romanian international, has a club status as Indispensable to the club. My youngster on the other hand has only played 2 or 3 Under 18 caps and is listed as Hot Prospect.

The Romanian is not learning any PPM's and has been at the club for a year and a half, is Fairly Ambitious and has a determination of 12. The youngster is not learning any PPM's, has been at the club for about the same ammount of time now and has a determination of 10. Sometimes this tutoring stuff just feels so random instead of "working as intended", lol

Is there a thread which explains well how tutoring works in FM12 and what one should keep in mind when making use of it?
jayahr, here's a link which I use with a lot of helpful info regarding personalities:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide

If you google for FM, or Football Manager and Tutoring, you can find a lot of helpful information! The above is simply a link to show you what the personalities in FM are like.

Those descriptions are for FM10, but if you go to page 2 in that thread, you'll find info for FM12 aswell created by another user.

jayahr, here's a link which I use with a lot of helpful info regarding personalities:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide

If you google for FM, or Football Manager and Tutoring, you can find a lot of helpful information! The above is simply a link to show you what the personalities in FM are like.

Those descriptions are for FM10, but if you go to page 2 in that thread, you'll find info for FM12 aswell created by another user.

Just be sure to look on the following pages of Lyssien's thread linked here about personalities. The list in the OP is not entirely correct ;) .... but it is a good indicator.

I've got a 21 year old Romanian international who's Fairly Ambitious which I am hoping to use. I've put myself on a tight wage budget and transfer policy as long as I am unsure of my squad's potential to stay up in the league and not relegate.

To add (because the tutoring system just doesn't make any sense to me at times), both he and my youngster (18 now) have a reputation of National, but the Romanian's current CA is higher. The Romanian is listed as DC/DM/MC (accomplished/natural/natural), the youngster as DC/DM/MC (natural/natural/accomplished), but he's not in the player link list (no players show up currently). Past tutors of his were a Model Professional DC (natural), my Professional captain DC/DM/MC (accomplished/natural/accomplished) and lastly another Professional DC (natural).

I have no idea if my Romanian international doesn't show in his player link list due to him not being able to be tutored again so soon, if it is because I am currently retraining my Romanian international to become a natural in the MC spot or if it's because my aimed tutor's reputation is dodgy, but he's a Romanian international, has a club status as Indispensable to the club. My youngster on the other hand has only played 2 or 3 Under 18 caps and is listed as Hot Prospect.

The Romanian is not learning any PPM's and has been at the club for a year and a half, is Fairly Ambitious and has a determination of 12. The youngster is not learning any PPM's, has been at the club for about the same ammount of time now and has a determination of 10. Sometimes this tutoring stuff just feels so random instead of "working as intended", lol

I thought players had to be at least 24 yo to tutor a youngster?? Not sure if this is still the case but it was definitely was at one point.

I thought players had to be at least 24 yo to tutor a youngster?? Not sure if this is still the case but it was definitely was at one point.
I think it's less, but am unsure what the prerequisites are. My Professional-personality team captain has already tutored several players during his years at the team, and he is now 22 years of age.

I think it's less, but am unsure what the prerequisites are. My Professional-personality team captain has already tutored several players during his years at the team, and he is now 22 years of age.

The Captain can be younger. The rest must be 24 or older.

The Captain can be younger. The rest must be 24 or older.
I just checked my team. I have a 22 year old AMR with the status "Backup to the First Team" training a 19 year old, and a 23 year old DC with the status "Important First Team Player" tutoring an 18 year old. Either your information isn't up to date, or things have changed in FM11 / FM12 :)

I just checked my team. I have a 22 year old AMR with the status "Backup to the First Team" training a 19 year old, and a 23 year old DC with the status "Important First Team Player" tutoring an 18 year old. Either your information isn't up to date, or things have changed in FM11 / FM12 :)

They have. In FM10 22 years of age was generally quoted as the limit, but it turned out that some players could tutor from any age and they didn't have to be captain. (I've had several tutoring at 19)

Unless the reputation of your youngster has just exceeded that of the successful tutor, that tutor should show up on the list, so it appears that, for some reason, he can't be tutored yet. (unambitious?)

The only times that I have had to wait to restart tutoring a youngster is when a session has ended prematurely, with every successful session I have been able to restart tutoring immediately.

I would check his list every day and then go again with the same tutor as before, you know he works and the second session might raise the youngster enough to stop him being a prat and take to further tutors down the line.

A word on tutors and PPMs, I prefer my tutors to have as many (good) PPMs as possible, as they can be quickly transferred with no loss of training time and when passed on, the tutoring session generally ends more successfully, with a higher rating of friendship between the two players, and possibly between them and yourself.

That explains, thanks for clearing the age tutoring difference between the versions up, pigfacemonkeyman :)

I did check his player links every day, and the option did turn up after a few days, yay! Unfortunatly I can't let my Romanian international train him due to his age of 21, but I got some good news. At the start of the season I signed a reasonably good Guatemalan MC/AMC of 24 years old. He has a backup status in the team. To my surprise he was on the player link list for my DC/DM/MC. His determination is 12 and his personality reads Very Ambitious, which as far as I know means he has 20 in the hidden stat Ambition. I've started the tutoring and after only one month so far my youngster now has 11 determination and a Balanced personality.

Finally! It's starting to work. If this tutoring session keeps going as well as it's going now, I am hoping his ambition raises beyond 17. If I am able to do another one or two tutoring sessions after that with my Professional-personality captain, I might even end up with him being a Perfectionist!

Thanks for all of your insights in tutoring. I've learned from the advise in this thread and feel I am able to mold my players even better than I could before I wrote my starting post :)

Glad to hear it, but be careful, if your captain is still the same one who fell out with this youngster, then they will dislike each other, maybe not enough to be visible in the game, but it will be there unless there are visible signs that the youngster now likes him. It may be safer not to use the two tutors who have so far failed, which is a shame as Professionalism should be the main attribute you are looking to improve.

A couple of things worth knowing, if tutor and tutee fall out drastically (personality clash) they will each lose points on how much they like you (the spoiler hides how much, in numbers, from the relative hidden attribute)

25 out of 100

Perfectionists have low temperament, I think that Model Professional is the best tutor to use.

It is useful to develop a professional squad and use the squad personality to better judge what level of professionalism a player has. (when it isn't obvious)

To help avoid any further confusion, this is for FM10. :)

On a related note, is the main reason a young player doesn't appear on the list someone can tutor down to reputation (aside from position)? I ask because I have a u18 striker and a journeyman, both with local reps, but the youngster doesn't appear on the older players tutor list. Has the young player got more rep points but not enough to push him to a higher rep category the likely reason?

On a related note, is the main reason a young player doesn't appear on the list someone can tutor down to reputation (aside from position)? I ask because I have a u18 striker and a journeyman, both with local reps, but the youngster doesn't appear on the older players tutor list. Has the young player got more rep points but not enough to push him to a higher rep category the likely reason?

There's also Squad Status, the tutor's status has to exceed or match the youngster's. If your journeyman has the required status and matching position no lower than accomplished then it will most likely be down to reputation.

Bear in mind things may have changed in FM11/12. (I have read that some players can't tutor immediately after joining the club)

There's also Squad Status, the tutor's status has to exceed or match the youngster's. If your journeyman has the required status and matching position no lower than accomplished then it will most likely be down to reputation.

Bear in mind things may have changed in FM11/12. (I have read that some players can't tutor immediately after joining the club)

It must be rep- then, as the tutee is a decent young player, older striker is a backup. Shame, as the kid could be good with the proper mentals.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived