Finance Help

I am managing Worcester City F.C. and i am currently in League 2 in the 4th season, so far i have had two stadium expansions and new youth and training facilities, my 'salary per annum' is about £800k and in the 4 years i have spent around £15,000 on players, £12,000 of which was on one player, the rest on comp fees for backroom staff. I get about 3500-4500 attendance on a regular basis sometimes getting around 6,000, fairly average for my league but is still increasing as it was around 500 first year on a steady increase until today. My worry is that in the last few months i have started declaring monthly losses. Fairly meager losses at the moment (£50,000ish) albeit slightly worrying as i have no means of promptly increasing my turnover and i am not sure how long the club can sustain taking these losses, my fear is of doing a 'Gretna' and rising too quickly, i was surprised to have back to back promotions in my first two years in charge as i am an aspiring purist when it comes to tactical approaches and haven't had instant success quite like it, also i am currently top of the league coming into the christmas period. Never did i think i would be intimidated my promotion but i fear i would require investment in the squad or risk relegation and i am stuck in a sort of limbo situation on figuring out a way to take the club forward. I call on the FM Community to help me in my quest to take my hometown club to the top of the game and would genuinely appreciate any help or insight into my predicament. I will gladly provide any info you might need to make a well rounded assessment on my situation. :)

i personally wouldnt worry too much. if the board had added facilities along with stadium increases its fine. i speak from experience as i was playing with basingstoke town who now are no1 in the world. increased turnover, increased investments and players values rising as they come up through the leagues. i was making losses every month (smallish of less than 100k a month) as i was progressing. what you can do is go for friendlies in between gaps in fixtures to pump the coffers a bit more. during international week i was getting friendlies with lots of scottish sides adding 200 or even 300k a game.

Archived