Waste of money signing?

0f8IO.jpg

Srpkx.jpg

1zfb6.jpg

3rd top scorer in the League, only 24 years old, not a bad looking pacey striker for the Championship.. I just don't get that response.

His valuation was £475k when I agreed the transfer too (Back in February) I thought it was a great bit of business, to get him for only £200k more than what he was worth. (and he was the top scorer in the Championship at the time)

I can only assume this response is because, his valuation had dropped to around £180k by the end of the season.

But this was because he was going into the final year of his contract. (on FM12, valuations seem to drop massively, when the player gets near to the last year of their contract.)

Some supporter spokepersons in the game seem to be very difficult to please, and are more concerned with finances than your board. Is your team in financial difficulties or something when this happens?

Ah ok.

Hmm no, we have £8.7 million in the bank and I'm under the wage budget. (we did have £10 million in the bank, but 3 new players have just come in, at the start of the transfer window).

3rd top scorer in the League, only 24 years old, not a bad looking pacey striker for the Championship.. I just don't get that response.

His valuation was £475k when I agreed the transfer too (Back in February) I thought it was a great bit of business, to get him for only £200k more than what he was worth. (and he was the top scorer in the Championship at the time)

I can only assume this response is because, his valuation had dropped to around £180k by the end of the season.

But this was because he was going into the final year of his contract. (on FM12, valuations seem to drop massively, when the player gets near to the last year of their contract.)

...players' values go down going into the final year of their contracts because the selling club's negotiating position goes down. If you'd waited til the summer to put in a bid, you probbaly could have got him cheaper. Of course, there'd be more competition sniffing around him too - so you made an early move. Fair enough.

But it's not so nonsensical for the fans to think you should've just waited.

Of course if he starts banging them in, the fans will pretend they always knew you were a genius in the transfer market, and never doubted you for a second. C'est la vie.

If only you could do a Keegan & tell the fans to trust you, I hate the fact that after 4 or 5 years of having supporter spokesmen in the game we still cannot communicate with them.

...players' values go down going into the final year of their contracts because the selling club's negotiating position goes down. If you'd waited til the summer to put in a bid, you probbaly could have got him cheaper.

Maybe so, but it's only £725k, he's scored 21 goals in the Championship (22 in all comps) and he is only 24.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I just don't understand the

'anger at waste of money' or

'the fans don't feel he's worthy of such an inflated transfer fee' or

'many believe I have paid over the odds for him'

Anyone would think I have spent £3.725.000, not £725.000... £725k is nothing now adays in football.

If I'd spent £1.5 million or £2 million etc, or if I spent it on a 32 year old striker etc, then I'd understand.

But £725k (less than three quarters of a million) for a 24 year old player, who's just banged 21 goals in the Championship with 8 assists.. is a very good bargin to me.

I should be praised for my wheeling and dealing, maybe I would have been, if my last name was Redknapp.:p

Imagine the response, if I'd spent £35 million on Carroll... :D

Of course, there'd be more competition sniffing around him too - so you made an early move. Fair enough.

£725k to me was cheap enough, in the past when I have waited, I've had times where the player ends up signing a new contract before the end of the season, and his valuation shoots up even more.

Or like you said, other teams end up sniffing around too, and I end up in a bidding war. Or, I have to offer the player higher wages, if a team with a bigger budget/reputation has had an offer accepted aswell etc.

Also, Barnsley were 3rd at the time when I had the offer accepted, and we were 7th in the League. So I also couldn't risk waiting incase they finished higher than us (or got promoted) and the player would no be longer interested in joining me. (which as happened to me before)

But I'm not having a go, or moaning etc. Since posting this thread earlier, I've reminded myself it's just a game(no matter how much I get sucked into it hehe).

So having said that, I also understand it's just a game, and the AI can only do so much.

So If Haynes valuation was £180k when the deal for £725k, finally went through. The game see's it, as I have paid 4x his value. And the game is going to assume that I have paid well over the odds because of this (where in most cases it would be right, if I paid £4 million for a £1 million player (4x his value) I would be angry too). FM has no human intelligance/common sense, for situations like this one with Haynes, So I think I would be harsh to criticise the game because of this.

And like you said, when/if he bangs in some goals for us, the fans will no doubt love him. :thup:

And I'll probably get this message in the monthly review "The fans think Danny Haynes has been a great signing.. however they are disappointed with the departure of player X" etc.

I've got something similar, paid £675k for a 17 year old regen from Dundee Utd, scouts believe he could become a leading premiership player. Yet, my fans hate him.

screenshot20120229at162.png

I think he looks pretty good for 17, no idea why the fans dislike him. Not like I got him from Portsmouth!

If you'd waited til the summer to put in a bid, you probbaly could have got him cheaper. Of course, there'd be more competition sniffing around him too - so you made an early move. Fair enough.

You have to remember that most fans don't think about that and generally assume that their club can get whoever they want :D

I think it happens if you pay a lot more than the players actual value

i had this at Chelsea when i paid 30m for Zakaria Labyad who was valued only 2.3m, but ofc i knew he is future superstar and players in lower rep leagues like Erdivisie are undervalued by the games estimation.

Archived