How to proceed with young players?

MM23

As I have top tier youth facilities, typically a player will stay in my U18 squad until he is too old to play there anymore. Then I like to send him to a feeder club - established Championship or top tier foreign side (I have Charlton and Watford, FC Lorient, and Steau as my feeder clubs) - for 1-3 seasons. After that they're either raring to go or else they're a bust.

I usually keep my promising youngsters until they are homegrown at club (3 full years) while tutoring them if necessary, and then they either gets implemented into the first team 25-man squad, loaned out or sold, depending on how good they are.

I never loan out players who does not have 15+ Determination and a good personality, and they need to be good players at the level of the loaning club otherwise they won't learn anything. I very rarely take back players that were not deemed good enough to be implemented in my squad even though the developed well at loan. The match experience is useful as sales arguments.

The players who does not have high enough potential to make it to the top level I usually send to an affiliate to help them out. I like giving them an opportunity to enjoy a career later, and I often follow them years later to see how well they did.

I usually keep my promising youngsters until they are homegrown at club (3 full years) while tutoring them if necessary, and then they either gets implemented into the first team 25-man squad, loaned out or sold, depending on how good they are.

So for 3 years they play youth and/or reserve leagues? Let's say you sign a 17yo...He'll be HG when he turns 20, but in the mean time he just sits in the reserves? Do they develop well enough like that?

I tend to play loads of friendlies in a pre season, Will play loads of friendlies, some will be big friendlies for the 1st team, but will also play the likes of barrow, lancaster, morecambe, (basically lower league/non league sides) where in these games I will have a look at my reserve team/youth players. Those who shine I will have a look at mixed with my 1st team and go from there, Like to have my higher achieving young players to give chances to in cup games if drawn against lower league sides, send the rest out on loan to assess there situations and performances, not a big spender of money, I will buy 2 or 3 big name players for my team and then sign young players for the future to strengthen my reserves aswell,

The main thing to me is to get their personalities developed, if they are good enough to go on loan at 17, they will, if not they get tutored and will generally go on loan when they are 18 or 19.

In England i have a lot of success with loans, though it seems sometimes that players refuse going on loan after a number of loans or a bad experience, i had a 17 year old that i loaned to my league one feeder club where he went on to have a good season, on the next season only had championship teams offering cover for the first team, i took a risk and accepted it, by December he didn't played that much so i called him back, i offered him again and there are some championship clubs wanting him as a valuable member for the first team but he doesn't want to go there despite having a professional personality.

Probably a issue with reputation i think, his reputation is probably too high and he thinks that he is above championship level, not a complaint though, loans are working fine most of the time for me, maybe i shouldn't have sent him on loan when only cover for the first team was offered but sometimes they end up playing a lot anyway.

So for 3 years they play youth and/or reserve leagues? Let's say you sign a 17yo...He'll be HG when he turns 20, but in the mean time he just sits in the reserves? Do they develop well enough like that?

Here's a more specific example:

I sign a 16-year old player with L2 CA and Leading PL potential

1st season he stays in the u18 playing both youth and reserve matches while being tutored from Fairly Determined to Determined reaching 16 Determination. He develops well because that level is high enough for him.

2nd season he continues his development, now being a leading star for most L1 sides

3rd season he stagnates a bit in the beginning, so I give him a few cup matches and league appearances vs weaker opponents. He ends the season being a good player for most Championship sides (0,5-1 star).

4th season he is now 19 and I loan him out to a Championship team for the season. He dominates there due to his attribute distribution and personality, and ends the season being a leading star for most championship sides.

5th season I decide to loan him out again, this time a PL side wants him for backup. I look at their team, decide that the players in his position are actually weaker and let him go there. The team is weak so he doesn't make that much of a difference, but the experience still taught him a lot since he got to play a lot thanks to his high reputation. He is now a 2-star decent/good PL player and is worthy of more chances in the first team.

Mostly it doesn't go like this. The crucial part is the 2nd season in the youth/reserves. If he stagnates then, his value to me diminishes greatly because he is not ready for first team football (in this case). The player must be 1,5 stars (decent PL player) before there is any point letting him try his luck in a competitive match. While he can still become a good player, he will only be home-grown in nation since I have to loan him out. Down in L2 and L1 the clubs are poor and don't have good training setups, and they have low quality players who don't turn in consistently good performances so the chances of him playing really well are slim... and that is necessary for him to learn anything down there. Generally there is no point loaning out players to teams below Championship. There is also little use loaning out midfielders because they rarely play above 7.0 in any AI club.

Most youngsters end up on loan in order to increase their value so I can sell them for profit.

Aside from tutoring, what is the best way to develop personality? I had Marco Materazzi (leader) tutor someone and his determination is still only 10. I also have player who is "model proffessional" a 17 year old left back, not sure what the best thing for him is.

Only disagree about the league one clubs, can easily find clubs with average or good training facilities that will ensure the player has a good development there, at least for players that you signed mostly to make a profit and need gaming time to develop it's normally better than being stuck on reserves unless you plan to give them a lot of cup and sub appearances.

It's the difference between England and the other nations IMO, in other countries loaning players to third tier teams it's probably not worth it, in England in my experience it is.

Aside from tutoring, what is the best way to develop personality? I had Marco Materazzi (leader) tutor someone and his determination is still only 10. I also have player who is "model proffessional" a 17 year old left back, not sure what the best thing for him is.

If he is a model professional he doesn't need any tutoring unless you have a high determination model professional to tutor him.

The only other way to increase determination is to fine players when they have poor performances.

Let me try to summarize; only those players who develop well just by playing in reserves/youths until they reach the age of 18-19 have a chance of becoming world class. The others may develop into good players, but not top players.

I thought that until I faced this guy in a champions league final. I'd sold him for not being good enough a few years earlier:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223306_10150559857605268_607000267_17864788_4114893_n.jpg

I can't actually remember. It was a while ago now.

He's not the only one like that, though. I have an awful record for deciding how good DCs are going to be. Every other position I'm fine, but DCs always catch me out.

Has there actually ever been any research made on the progress of youngsters who were sent on loan?

Whenever I do that I have the impression that they return with the same ability they had before leaving. Never noticed an considerable development :(

That said, I've never checked it, as due to refusing to download any scout app I don't have the means to do so...

Has there actually ever been any research made on the progress of youngsters who were sent on loan?

Whenever I do that I have the impression that they return with the same ability they had before leaving. Never noticed an considerable development :(

That said, I've never checked it, as due to refusing to download any scout app I don't have the means to do so...

You need to pick your loan club carefully to get the best out of your youth.

By which criteria? Would be great to know what you are looking at :thup:

I would really love makiung my youngsters better. Now I just keep them to be sure they have good coaches and facilities and maybe they even get their occassional run-out, but in my perception regular first team football at another club one or two divisions lower seems less effective in FM than it does irl.

By which criteria? Would be great to know what you are looking at :thup:

I would really love makiung my youngsters better. Now I just keep them to be sure they have good coaches and facilities and maybe they even get their occassional run-out, but in my perception regular first team football at another club one or two divisions lower seems less effective in FM than it does irl.

1. The training facilities. Should be Good or better.

2. The manager. Should have good attributes, use a good tactic (not 4-2-3-1 wide) and good Working with Youngsters especially.

3. There should not be too much competition in your player's position. If they play with one striker he needs to be the best one (highest rep).

4. The team should be able to win most of the matches they play, and score more than two goals per game on average. Otherwise none of their players will play around 7.0, which is what they should do to develop optimally.

5. Your player must have good Determination and his physique must be ready for the level he's playing at. Strength 10 in BSP, 12-13 in L1 and 14-15 in Championship/PL for example.

6. His CA should be deemed "good" or "leading" for the league he is playing in. Playing at Full Detail may help here, but normally CA is the most important factor for how well he is doing.

So it's not only about whether they get playing time, but also about them winning and getting good ratings?

And what's wrong with the 4-2-3-1 wide? Using this myself with absolutely satisfying levels od success.

The AI's version of it is awful. Teams using it are consistently underperforming, especially after a few years when those using it leaves the clubs set up to it (Real Madrid for instance). The AI doesn't know that the two CM's must be hard-working defensive-minded midfielders, and they are unable to realize the dangers of sending the full backs forward at all times, making it effectively a 2-0-8 tactic.

Edit: and yes, players with low morale won't develop as well as when they have good morale. Bad form on the pitch is often leading to red arrows in training, and possibly vice versa. Having an exceptionally good personality can of course alleviate some of this.

Archived