Old player is ready to work as staff, do I lose him?

Pung

I recommended my 34-year-old player to become a coach when he decided to quit playing because I would like to keep him as he's been very loyal to my team. He tells me he's ready now and can start if I want to. If I accept, will he stop playing or will he do both? I would greatly appreciate a quick reply as I do not dare pressing anything right now :lol:

Well, the twice i have done it the player has disappeared from my squad, so i would say dont do it until the end of the season if you want to play him this year.

Really? I've done this loads of time and the player's never disappeared. Has this been happening to you in FM12?

He's still one of my key players so I wouldn't want to lose him. He's been my captain for many years and has been tutoring many youngsters. As I'm playing in the Swedish top division I don't really care about the staff attributes as most of the people that are willing to discuss contracts with me isn't very good. I just want to know if he will get mad if I tell him to wait. Thanks for all the quick replies though!

Really? I've done this loads of time and the player's never disappeared. Has this been happening to you in FM12?

Yeah its happened to me twice, maybe just a bug in certain situations, both time i have gone past the point where i could give SI a save to make it worthwhile reporting. I cant remember if i just had the convo or if i offered a player coach contract afterwards.

@milnerpoint Did this by any chance coincide with an impending retirement as a player at the end of the season?

Yes it did, i think maybe the player would have said he would retire at the end of the season and i have offered a player/coach contract but both times the player has disappeared from my squad.

Have done this a few times in England, but as their staff attributes were poor in all cases, i stopped doing it. But there is perhaps an outside chance that a club icon or legend will have a good effect on the team anyway. And to add to that, the player will usually be past his prime by then, so he has by then become doubly useless. :thdn:

Archived