Club Maximum age...why don't players understand?

Preface: i still play FM 2011, so perhaps this was fixed already, in which case, i'll go ahead and buy the new one already :D

As a new challenge, i decided to create a new club in League 2 with an enforced maximum player age of 21. I can't buy or even make offers to players over 21, and upon reaching age 22, the player gets an "ineligible" icon next to his name and i can't play him. I also gave the club boosted Youth Academy stats in hopes of eventually trying to be competitive in the Premier League and Europe.

I figured that, around age 20 or 21, players would understand that they can't stay at the club much longer. But no, i begin the process of selling a player, and he gets angry at me for forcing him out of the club! And when he finally is sold, the news item will say that he is pleased to be getting away from me!

It seems that the game ignores the maximum age policy for a club when it comes to transfers. Any chance of this being addressed?

I'd like to see at the very least, something in the Player conversations where i can tell him he's being transfer listed because he won't be eligible to play for us much longer...or at the very least, let me tell him something positive!

To be honest, you are trying to run a professional football club here. Most if not all have players aged from 16-40, maybe sometimes older and the vast majority of clubs have at least a couple of players over 30. I don't think there is a full time club anywhere that refuses to keep players aged over 21. If they are good enough to play and cheap enough to keep then the players are normally allowed to stay. The trouble is to implement it would be unrealistic compared to real life. Why would any club consider a player to be old at 22?!?

I would imagine the maximum age policy is in the game so that youth teams could function properly. Not to be implemented for first team purposes as there really isn't a team anywhere where something like this is used.
There is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harimau_Muda_A (not sure how Harimau Muda A are implemented in FM, if at all)

Young Lions are another one - except this is a Singaporean team. They are based in the "wrong" leagues (Harimau Muda A play in the Singapore S-League, while Young Lions play in the Malaysian Super League) for experience reasons.

I would imagine the maximum age policy is in the game so that youth teams could function properly. Not to be implemented for first team purposes as there really isn't a team anywhere where something like this is used.

There is one in Malaysia which is ran by the national federation that has an U21 policy but its the only one I've ever come across.

EDIT

See post above ^

Actually, it isn't for national teams (it would be under Nations, and not Clubs). I know in older versions of FM there was Hong Kong 08/09, who had a no transfers, under 21 club policy (talk about a challenge!). This is a case of a single club in a low-rep nation that FM staff took the time to implement correctly.

In the 11.3 database of FM (looking at it now), there are 457 entities with a Maximum age policy, 1 of which is a Professional club, and 310 of which are Semi-Professional. Many of these clubs are human controllable, or at the very least, have a division set, and can very easily be made playable.

I'm not sure how much effort it would take to make players understand that they are being transferred because they can't legally play for the club much longer, but if it isn't too much trouble, it would be a nice addition.

By the way, my youth team also works correctly (U18), and it has nothing to do with ticking the Maximum age box!

What would this have to do with anything, though? Semi-Professional clubs also deal in the transfer market. And if the programmers can take the time to make Hong Kong 09 function properly, why not make the Maximum Age tick box work properly as well?

If it's not going to work, then remove the tick box!

All i need is for my players to keep their morale and respect for me when i start trying to sell them at age 20, because they know they can't play for the club past 21. Is that really such a crazy idea?

May I ask why you want this in place anyway? When I was in LLM I only bought players aged 21 or under in the hope they would improve so they would be either to able to step up to the next level with us or generate some money from a sale. Also, wouldn't you be pretty gutted if for example you had a striker score 40 goals in a season but you then had to sell him because he has reached the ripe old age of 22?

I want it in place simply because it's already in place! I can already force the game to block me from buying or playing anyone over 21. I just don't want half the players leaving the club to tell the media how much they hated playing under me just because i tried to sell them at age 21! I assume this affects my ability to buy young players in the future if i'm earning this kind of reputation.

And i don't mind losing my best players...it's all part of the challenge. I've had FM 2011 since it came out, and i'm fairly sure i have never missed promotion with any club i've been with (i've even managed to get promoted on first attempt with this club, but i'm hoping it won't be so easy in League 1...it certainly won't be easy in the Premier League if i get there!). It gets boring, and ultimately i quit the save after a few seasons. This is just a way to guarantee that i won't have the best players, because i have to give them away to my opponents. I can only win with training, tactics, and getting the most out of the players i do have (the ones who aren't angry at me, that is).

Couldn't you just sign them to contracts that would end the year they turn 21? Even with a 5 year contract after they become eligible for one when they turn 17, it would just be one extra year at most before the contract expires, which would solve most of your problems of having to sell I imagine, unless there's something that's restricting you from doing this?

I've been avoiding that because of the Bosman rule. Wouldn't my players just leave for free if i let their contracts get within 6 months of expiration?

EDIT: Even an option in the Private Chat to transfer list the player because the club needs the money from the transfer would be enough for me. Is that in FM 2012? In 2011 my only transfer options are "your training sucks," "your attitude sucks," or "you suck."

It sounds like you want to be able to sell the players as opposed to letting them go for free. But surely if this was implemented properly not only would the players be aware of why you were trying to sell them but also the other teams and therefore that would negate to a certain extent the players value as other clubs aren’t going to pay decent transfer fees when they know in one year time you will not be able to use the players. Much like the effect when a player is down to one year left on there contract.

It sounds like you want to be able to sell the players as opposed to letting them go for free. But surely if this was implemented properly not only would the players be aware of why you were trying to sell them but also the other teams and therefore that would negate to a certain extent the players value as other clubs aren’t going to pay decent transfer fees when they know in one year time you will not be able to use the players. Much like the effect when a player is down to one year left on there contract.
I don't think the OP really cares what value he sells them at... The issue is that the players are unaware that they are ineligible to play next season.

Exactly. By setting the age limit, you've basically set yourself up as an academy which is allowed to play in the football league. Just as the state-run Singaporean and Malaysian examples above. Just like VTC Football here in Melbourne.

What you're looking at doesn't exist so there's no wonder it isn't implemented. The enforced bosman departures would realistically represent what you've got set up.

Exactly. By setting the age limit, you've basically set yourself up as an academy which is allowed to play in the football league. Just as the state-run Singaporean and Malaysian examples above. Just like VTC Football here in Melbourne.

What you're looking at doesn't exist so there's no wonder it isn't implemented. The enforced bosman departures would realistically represent what you've got set up.

Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are not "academy" teams, as they have no "parent" club (VTC Football's parent club is Melbourne Victory). Both Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are clubs in themselves, with no parent club. They do, however, feed into the national teams of Malaysia and Singapore respectively.

So yes, they do exist. Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are teams in themselves, with no parent, that play in a FIFA-sanctioned league, that have enforced age limits within the teams themselves.

In fact, Young Lions even does its own transfers! Luka Savic is a non-Singaporean who once played for Young Lions, but later transferred to Singaporean powerhouse SAFFC.

I reckon if any club actually enforced a rule such as this they wouldn't be legally allowed to sign people to playing contracts that last beyond the date they'd become ineligible. Also' date=' why would any player sign a long contract under these conditions in the first place?[/quote']

In the case of Harimau Muda A, at least, the contracts are centrally-held by the FA of Malaysia. Contract law in Malaysia is, of course, murkier than Europe, but then again, being a professional footballer in this part of the world (I'd argue it's not even professional, but somewhere between professional and semi-professional) doesn't pay as much as Europe, and I would imagine the FA of Malaysia can afford sensible contracts for their youngsters.

In the case of Harimau Muda A, at least, the contracts are centrally-held by the FA of Malaysia. Contract law in Malaysia is, of course, murkier than Europe, but then again, being a professional footballer in this part of the world (I'd argue it's not even professional, but somewhere between professional and semi-professional) doesn't pay as much as Europe, and I would imagine the FA of Malaysia can afford sensible contracts for their youngsters.

The question still stands though. Let's say there were a team in League 2 who are legally permitted from fielding players over the age of 21. Why would any player sign a contract with them that would last beyond the date they'd become ineligible? If SI were to change the game so that players would recognize when they become ineligible they would also have to recognize this when negotiating contracts. In which case they wouldn't sign long term contracts with that club in the first place.

The question still stands though. Let's say there were a team in League 2 who are legally permitted from fielding players over the age of 21. Why would any player sign a contract with them that would last beyond the date they'd become ineligible? If SI were to change the game so that players would recognize when they become ineligible they would also have to recognize this when negotiating contracts. In which case they wouldn't sign long term contracts with that club in the first place.
I was answering your first point. :) Of course, players will have to be smart enough to sign contracts that actually make sense should a "team restriction" feature be included.

Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are not "academy" teams, as they have no "parent" club (VTC Football's parent club is Melbourne Victory). Both Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are clubs in themselves, with no parent club. They do, however, feed into the national teams of Malaysia and Singapore respectively.

Academy, training centre, development club, set up to benefit their governing body/federation and the players themselves. Semantics really. That's what they are. Whether they compete, are eligible for trophies is irrelevant. VTC is governed by Football Federation Victoria, and although they have the Victory link, they are run to benefit football in Victoria. Mattei joined them in the A-League off-season when he was on a free before he signed for Melbourne Heart this season. These clubs offer football.

So yes, they do exist. Harimau Muda A and Young Lions are teams in themselves, with no parent, that play in a FIFA-sanctioned league, that have enforced age limits within the teams themselves.

In fact, Young Lions even does its own transfers! Luka Savic is a non-Singaporean who once played for Young Lions, but later transferred to Singaporean powerhouse SAFFC.

Not quite sure what you're arguing here. They have transfers, wonderful. Luka Savic was brought in for free, and moved on for free. They're training youth players and functioning as a league club. You're making my argument for me.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/courts-young-lions/transfers/verein_15367.html (edit: link didn't work)

Transfers, in and out, all free. Harimau Muda data is even scrappier, but there's no evidence I can find that they make any money from transfers. Whilst I will not argue that the case of these two teams is somewhat unique, in that they not only are allowed to compete in the league but can hypothetically win the title, in essence they are what they are. And I did not at any point claim competitive development teams didn't exist (hence my mention of the state-run VTC, regardless of club affiliation), but rather the scenario causing the OPs grievances doesn't exist in reality because these over-age players just move on - hence my endorsement of the Bosman transfer solution. Sign them on contracts until they're 21, problem solved.

If i signed a contract at 17 for 5 yrs KNOWING full well that i cannot play after i turn 21 then it is the clubs fault for offering me it in the first place and have to pay me out the contract to get rid of me.

I know your predicament but i highly doubt SI would enforce it as SI have much much more things to fix before this.

Academy, training centre, development club, set up to benefit their governing body/federation and the players themselves. Semantics really. That's what they are. Whether they compete, are eligible for trophies is irrelevant. VTC is governed by Football Federation Victoria, and although they have the Victory link, they are run to benefit football in Victoria. Mattei joined them in the A-League off-season when he was on a free before he signed for Melbourne Heart this season. These clubs offer football.

I thought you meant "Academy" in the sense that, say, Barcelona B play in the same league system as Barcelona "A".

Not quite sure what you're arguing here. They have transfers, wonderful. Luka Savic was brought in for free, and moved on for free. They're training youth players and functioning as a league club. You're making my argument for me.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/courts-young-lions/transfers/verein_15367.html (edit: link didn't work)

Transfers, in and out, all free. Harimau Muda data is even scrappier, but there's no evidence I can find that they make any money from transfers. Whilst I will not argue that the case of these two teams is somewhat unique, in that they not only are allowed to compete in the league but can hypothetically win the title, in essence they are what they are. And I did not at any point claim competitive development teams didn't exist (hence my mention of the state-run VTC, regardless of club affiliation), but rather the scenario causing the OPs grievances doesn't exist in reality because these over-age players just move on - hence my endorsement of the Bosman transfer solution. Sign them on contracts until they're 21, problem solved.

There are generally no transfer fees in Malaysia, except for foreign-based players. There's not much point as Malaysian football is just above semi-professional.

It's still a bug, of course... Just one with a workaround.

Archived