Thinking about shortlists and scouting regions

(Not sure which forum this is best suited for, but I guess general questions is as good as any...)

I've been wondering a bit about scouting recently. When I do regional scouting, I will periodically get messages about highly recommended players, and an option to add them to my shortlist. Players put on a shortlist in this way will stay there for one year.

Now, say I send a scout to a region, he finds a player, and I add that player to my shortlist. After that period, the player drops off the list. Will the scout then "cycle around" and at some point re-scout the player when he's back in that country, and ask me to put him on the shortlist again? Or, once I have a scout report, will the scout then skip the player in the future, and that's it?

Will restarting the scouting assignment periodically make a difference? I don't really want to restart an assignment, though, as some regions seem to take more than one year to complete all the different countries. (Come to think of it, does regional assignments finish, and have to be restarted, or do they go round and round automatically? I can't say I've noticed them finishing, but I still haven't gotten around to ever completing more than one full season on FM2012. I keep abandoning my saves and starting new ones... it's my particular malfunction :p).

Is there another sensible way to keep tabs on players over a period of several years (as RL teams do), and basically make sure that my shortlist is up-to-date and has a healthy selection of players? One thing that I guess that I could is to create a separate shortlist for priority targets and make sure that they are re-scouted every season, but the thing is that I really want to keep the micro-management to a minimum and keep things as simple as possible. Obviously, setting up regional assignments and just leaving them would be optimal in this regard.

(By the way, one thing that I've found useful, right at the start of the game, is to check which countries the scouts have full knowledge of, and give them a country assignment for that country. They will then instantly dump a bunch of recommendations for me to put on my list, to start me off, as it were. Then, I can reassign them to scout regions. I know a lot of people have been complaining about country assignments working this way because it supposedly makes scouting individual countries useless, but I don't think it does, as long as you have your scout assigned to a region and not a specific country during the season.)

It depends if you set roaming on or off, if the scouts are roaming, the assignment never finishes and they just keep scouting all the countries of the region, if you don't set roaming, once they are done cycling all the countries the assignment is done.

I have two shortlists, one for good players that are good enough to jump straight into my squad and other with youngsters only, i keep adding the players that my scouts find to either shortlist.

Very cool, thanks. :)

It depends if you set roaming on or off, if the scouts are roaming, the assignment never finishes and they just keep scouting all the countries of the region, if you don't set roaming, once they are done cycling all the countries the assignment is done.

And thanks for this. Do you know whether this makes a difference as to whether the players are re-scouted, though? If roaming is on, do I only get new players, or doesn't it make a difference?

Archived