FM Causing Laptop to Overheat

Hi all.

I started a pretty enjoyable save with Blyth in the BSN, and am maybe at mid October. Up until this point I have had no problems with the game. Obviously it is a big app so the fans do work a bit harder to cool down the system, but I've never had the following happen. I am now stuck, I can maybe get the game to go for 2 minutes before the laptop overheats to the point where it just is forced to turn off.

Now I don't have the best laptop in the world, but it is by no means bad, I have a Lenovo w/ Windows 7, i3 processor (2.53 GHz), 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, decent video card, etc. I don't understand why this is happening. I have tried to prop it up to help the computer dispense heat, but to no avail.

I know it is definitely an overheating problem because I downloaded a program that monitors computer temperature, and the temperature of a couple components when FM was loaded was way too high. 89C, if I remember correctly.

Obviously I've tried things like running without any other apps loaded, etc. At first the computer crashed during the match, so I lowered the graphics settings ,turned off sound, etc, but again, no change. And at this point it's liable to go at any point in the first couple of minutes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

FM doesn't really need the gcard and laptop gcards are famous for overhaeting in many models.

I would use the EVGA tool and underclock it to the max, this may stop it getting to hot.

If that doesn't work then turn off the graphics card and use the integrated graphics chip if the laptop has one. You may even have an intel 3000 chip on the laptop and they are very decent.

You could also try cleaning it but there isn't much space inside for dust to collect or prop it up so the bottom vents get more air.

Jimbob check the ventilation for your laptop, one of them should have a fan blowing out hot air :p. The only sure way to check it though is by disassembling your laptop... or bring it to your electronic store for them to check it (although that would cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just replacing it yourself :p). The cooler for laptop are like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007639%20600028834&IsNodeId=1&name=Cooler. Although I have to point that they're not actually that effective, most of them will cool down your laptop only by a few degree, your internal fan is the one that really make a difference.

Jimbob check the ventilation for your laptop, one of them should have a fan blowing out hot air :p. The only sure way to check it though is by disassembling your laptop... or bring it to your electronic store for them to check it (although that would cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just replacing it yourself :p). The cooler for laptop are like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007639%20600028834&IsNodeId=1&name=Cooler. Although I have to point that they're not actually that effective, most of them will cool down your laptop only by a few degree, your internal fan is the one that really make a difference.

Ahhhh cheers mate :) its like four year old now anyway so not bothered about taking it too bits. What would you recommend doing then? besides from getting a new laptop haha

Mmm... if it's 4 years old... then operate on it, disassemble it!!! hehehhehhe just kidding. How hot does it run? It's hard to say what to do next because when laptop overheat what it will do is throttle down it's CPU wattage making your comp run slower and if so far that doesn't bother you then I don't think it's a big issue, especially if you don't use it for gaming. The bad thing about not having an internal fan is of course your cpu will run hot, and that will kill it's life much sooner that it would running regularly. If you do want to try and disassemble it usually there's a guide out there especially if your laptop made by a popular company, new fan would cost very little too, ask your geeky friend to do it if you're too squeamish to do it :D

FM doesn't really need the gcard and laptop gcards are famous for overhaeting in many models.

I would use the EVGA tool and underclock it to the max, this may stop it getting to hot.

If that doesn't work then turn off the graphics card and use the integrated graphics chip if the laptop has one. You may even have an intel 3000 chip on the laptop and they are very decent.

You could also try cleaning it but there isn't much space inside for dust to collect or prop it up so the bottom vents get more air.

If his processor is overheating then using intergrated graphics would put more workload on his cpu causing it to overheat quicker no?

Mmm... if it's 4 years old... then operate on it, disassemble it!!! hehehhehhe just kidding. How hot does it run? It's hard to say what to do next because when laptop overheat what it will do is throttle down it's CPU wattage making your comp run slower and if so far that doesn't bother you then I don't think it's a big issue, especially if you don't use it for gaming. The bad thing about not having an internal fan is of course your cpu will run hot, and that will kill it's life much sooner that it would running regularly. If you do want to try and disassemble it usually there's a guide out there especially if your laptop made by a popular company, new fan would cost very little too, ask your geeky friend to do it if you're too squeamish to do it :D

Ill take it apart myself if I need too, might have a look for a guide when Im on my lunch, fancy helping me out wi anything im unsure of? Im not stupid when it comes to technology and computers but never taken a PC apart before ;)

An easy trick is to place say a couple of pencils or something underneath to lift it so of the bottom of the laptop off the desk and allow air to get to it

Ill try this before i take it to bits, cheers man :)

I am pretty sure the gcard is overheating.

The integrated chips run cool and i suspect there is no issue with the CPU.

If the screen goes blank then it is the gcard overheating which is common.

Try EVGA precision first. You can dl it in 5 seconds, it's easy to install and shows the temps of the card. Then underclock everything and see if it still overheats.

If you still have an issue then you can try lower graphics settings etc.

If that doesn't work i would either turn off the gcard or get more air flow as many people have mentioned such as pencils, books, magic markers, drinks matts etc.

P.S. I have fm12 ruuning on a new lenovo english spec laptop with no graphics card and at a decent resolution with no over heating issues. It has the intel integrated 3000 chip and it's been more than fine.

I have done this on several laptops now as i often game on work laptops and spent many years in Bombay which is very dusty.

Jimbob, I usually go over here to ask about my laptop need http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-manufacturers/ I found a thread to disassemble my laptop last year which I did myself for the first time xD it was nerve wrecking trying to remember which part goes where and which needs to get put back first LOL but it was a lot of fun... Gl to you if you're going to disassemble it, I'm sure it will be fun too :).

Oh btw the forum that I refer to is pretty friendly so don't be afraid to ask around... at least it did, I haven't been back there in a long time

Jimbob, I usually go over here to ask about my laptop need http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-manufacturers/ I found a thread to disassemble my laptop last year which I did myself for the first time xD it was nerve wrecking trying to remember which part goes where and which needs to get put back first LOL but it was a lot of fun... Gl to you if you're going to disassemble it, I'm sure it will be fun too :).

Oh btw the forum that I refer to is pretty friendly so don't be afraid to ask around... at least it did, I haven't been back there in a long time

Cheers mate :) been a good help :D

I'd be interested to see what works. Sometimes the desk thhe laptop is sitting on can cause problems if its not disappating heat

I think that may be a problem I have, when I use it on the arm of my sofa where there is a bit more room for air to circulate, whereas on my wooden desk it heats up massively, the pencil idea seems a good en, although i do think there is a problem with dust

I have the same oproblem, my internal fan has failed and rather than spend £X to get it fixed I just bought the basic Microsoft Laptop Cooling Pad which more than does the trick for me. Although it obviously isn't as good as an internal fan it keeps the base cool and the leptop hasn't switched itself off since.

I used quite a few fan myself overtime the problem with fans is that you have to match it with your laptop, since every laptop has different configuration for their vents, while most have vents at the bottom of laptops and side/back, the location of the the vents is different, some in the middle, some toward the front/back of the laptop and this matters because if your laptop vent is toward the front of your laptop and the fan you bought have it's fan further back than your laptops vent then it's pointless having all those air blowing toward the laptop casing xD. Also some fans blows air into your laptop, while others suck the heat out of your laptop and blow it outside, which one's more effective I have no idea... It is MUCH easier making innuendo's with all these sucking and blowing than looking for the right fan for your laptop I tell you :D

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually now not sure if I'm using a graphics chip or card, I'll have to check. Might be a chip, tbh.

Anyways, here's my comp before running FM.

6f84k2.png

And with FM.

20itekn.png

So as you can see, in both cases actually it seems as if the program is telling me the computer may be running too hot. Problem is I don't know what Temp1, Core0, and Core1 are, so I'll have to figure that out.

I'm going to try unscrewing the bottom and cleaning out all the vents.

Looks like a broken fan indeed strike, at idle temp your laptop cpu shouldn't run higher than 30 degree, running 80 degree is too hot and it will shorten your cpu's life considerably if you don't fix it, it will also run your cpu at slower pace since the cpu will reduce it's voltage to try and run it as cool as possible

I had a Toshiba laptop up until last year and that used to over heat when i played FM, actually tho i believe it was just processor intensive applications which caused this and not only FM

in the end i actually bought a common table fan and bolted it (well sellotaped lol) to my table while i saved for a new PC, haha

since then i have Dell 1545 Dual Core which isnt anywhere high end but suffers no issues :) in fact i can now run bigger games (something like 6 leagues and 35k db at the speed i prefer, when in past i could only run 3 leagues and 19k db size)

Archived