Long term games - How long do you stay for?

I'm coming to a point on FM11 (in 2029/2030) where I am unsure of what will keep my save-game the most entertaining. I started in Serie C with Atletico Roma. It's been a long hard struggle and I've finally reached the top - but not the complete top quite yet. I'm now in Serie A and have been for quite a few seasons. Thinking off the top of my head it went something like this:

– Took till season 2 to get into Serie B

– Tried as best as I could to survive both in terms of results and finances in Serie B, and just about did! And I was there for about 5ish seasons before getting finally promoted via the play-offs.

– Did ok in Serie A but ran out of ideas near the end and slipped to 3rd bottom and therefore getting relegated - I probably went up too early and probably stayed too loyal to players not good enough for Serie A.

– I saw this as the perfect opportunity to get the team more balanced and built a side that was this time able to win Serie B in pretty good form.

– I felt much more positive about staying in Serie A this time with a couple of good signings to improve the side and I think I finished 14th after a good end to the season.

– Next season Improved some more and I finished 6th somehow and so got into the Europa League (need to double check that, pretty sure there wasn’t a season in between this )

– I then finished the last 6 seasons or whatever in the top 4, one year I finished on equal points with Fiorentina but didn't win it because of Head-to-Head results.

– 2 Years ago I had a bad season and finished 6th again.

– During that time in Serie A I also won the Europa league and Italian Cup at some point. I have also managed to lose 2* Italian Super Cups and European Super Cup (*win another Italian cup in next bullet point)

– Last year I made some big changes and recovered from that 6th place to finally win Serie A :) and I have just won it for the 2nd time in a row as well as the Italian Cup for the 2nd Time. I've finally ended Fiorentinas dominance!!! (Fiorentina have been dominant winning the last 8 Serie A titles!!!)

I have not really pulled any trees in the Champions league though. Getting to the quarter finals was a good achievement for me! I’ve receive numerous club and national jobs in this save, both in the same league and other leagues. I am a Spurs fan and so am tempted to eventually go there and improve them on the 8th place they’ve been finishing in in the last few seasons.

I am definitely staying for the next upcoming season as I need to win an Italian Super Cup! Also I’m hoping that this might be my year in the Champions League. Maybe the reason I struggle is because I’m being too loyal again like when I first arrived in Serie A, so maybe it won’t be my year?

The main point of this thread is my worry that if I leave, how will I feel looking in from the outside, rather than when I used to be the manager. So my main concern is what will happen to them, because of the clubs good finances (£200m). So I’m worried that a new manager will come in, the best players will be sold, they will sign replacements and in doing so break my own self implemented wage structure limit of £70k pw. Possibly resulting in the club losing money month after month, as they don't currently bring in quite enough money. I pretty much broke even last year if you take away the £55mil I got for my LB.

I don't feel like I want to repeat what Fiorentina have done (8 leagues in a row) and would like a crack at different league titles. This is the furthest I've ever gotten so not been in this position before.

So I don’t necessarily want advice, I’m a bit curious, what do you do once you’ve reached the top?

Feel free to also advise me though if you wish, possibly discuss your achievements and the paths you’ve been down to get there(like I have), both positive and negative. Do the teams you leave continue to prosper? Do you try ruin them? Take players with you? Do you ever go back? Is it possible to go back? (Not sure if you get placed on the hate list when you leave) Is the grass always greener at other clubs?

So Thank You for reading!

I'm Hoping to have started a good thread, and hopefully not in the wrong forum!

In CM 01-02 I used to do this quite frequently- take whoever was promoted to the Conference to the Premiership, win the Premiership and Champions League in about 10-15 seasons, and often would leave after some seasons of dominance or near dominance. Usually as soon as I left, they would hover around for a little before getting relegated and spiralling downwards until they reached the 3rd tier and then hover once more. Then I'd start once more with another side.

As far as I know, AI managers don't do particularly well with these 'fairytale-shooting star' sides once the human manager leaves.

Im yet to do anything like this on FM, planning on starting with Crawley after the patch, I can imagine after your at the top though you will fancy a different challenge. I'd probably go to Tottenham BUT start a different save when you move that way you can always go back :)

I find it hard to move, even after say 8 or 9 seasons. You will decide to move on and then just in the back of our mind think, why did i do that, these are not my players, this is not my team and ultimatly i ended up going back to an older save and not changing teams.

Like Jimbob, I waiting for the update. I think Crawley will be a good challenge although I think they sold their centre forward recently? I'll be starting with Ipswich Town and generally only get into a career game after the final update is released. After 7-8 seasons, I begin to wane. On one of the old CMs, I did a 15-16 season career and each season, I was in the play offs in the Championship - and never got promoted. How resolute was that? I don't think I could persevere to the same extent now though.

Looking forward to the release of the patch. I think SI gave a few updates this time last year? I haven't noticed any this year bar the "out when its out" posts. Looking forward to this year's career game when the update is released.

I like to reach the top and stay there. I can't bear to leave a club after many seasons so I don't leave, just keep on winning trophies and breaking my own records. Also bring in a policy where I don't buy players over 17, just invest in youth and develop them into world class players, hoping they reach the magical 1000 appearances in their career.

I recently started a new long term career game. There is another point about waiting till the patch is released than getting an edited database with January transfers? I mean, the updates are save compatible so if I don´t bother about January transfer is pointless for me to wait, isn´t it?

I think the updates are generally save game compatible but I seem to recall SI recommending a new game nonetheless??

I'm thinking I'll just have to wait and see what offers i get in the future. I just don't want to lose the enjoyment lol. I have only had this save really, which has led to me also skipping FM12. So I will probably just keep going on and on till FM13, maybe even till the January update is released. Hopefully we get some comments from people who have left their clubs and also what sort of success they've had, I really like the idea of leaving and taking a couple of your star youngsters with you. Anyone done that?

Like Jimbob, I waiting for the update. I think Crawley will be a good challenge although I think they sold their centre forward recently? I'll be starting with Ipswich Town and generally only get into a career game after the final update is released. After 7-8 seasons, I begin to wane. On one of the old CMs, I did a 15-16 season career and each season, I was in the play offs in the Championship - and never got promoted. How resolute was that? I don't think I could persevere to the same extent now though.

Looking forward to the release of the patch. I think SI gave a few updates this time last year? I haven't noticed any this year bar the "out when its out" posts. Looking forward to this year's career game when the update is released.

Yeah I think your right, But theyve got a solid base good finances but not too easy to just rise up the leagues. Cant wait to get that going.

The AI will destroy your Atletico Roma side within a few months of you leaving.

This is why I never leave the club I start out with. I'd rather start a new savegame with another club if I become bored. In my opinion, it is better to add a First Name Last Name manager with International Reputation and take over Tottenham before the summer transfer window opens, sell some of the overpaid sewer rats clogging up the team and sign a bunch of promising players (these big clubs tend to have £100-200m lying around unused), give them a new staff and stay there until the squad registration deadline has passed then retire. This way, you get to do both: keep your savegame interesting while saving your favourite club.

I also recommend using FMRTE to edit the manager that takes over after Miss First Name Last Name into a manager with high skill and important attributes like Squad Rotation.

The AI will destroy your Atletico Roma side within a few months of you leaving.

This is what I'm hoping won't happen. But I don't want to start a new game either as I cba with real players lol. I wouldn't go messing with new managers or anything like that either. I only use FMRTE to change the kits if I really can be bothered.

Anyone want to give their story? Or is that more something I should take to another forum. Still hoping someone gives an example where the AI doesn't ruin their old club.

Sadly I have built a team up before and decided to leave after a couple of league titles because I couldn't cope anymore with the still lack of budget compared to the bigger clubs. The new manager sold off a load of talent and took the club down to midtable which was far too much for me to bear. I would sooner delete a save now when I have had enough than see that again.

When I have reached the top I can usually enjoy that for a while ans try to win and retain things, but then I get bored fairly quickly as success doesn't make you as happy as it did before.

Therefore I then seek a new challenge.

This may be one which comes up in the game or alternatively, especially as also I can never stand seeing my successors ruining what I built up at my previous clubs, I start a new game (usually after letting FM holiday through the first three seasons to avoid the repetitiveness of first year game starts).

Tbh I actually often leave before reaching the top with one club if I see an easier way to achieve that somewhere else.

Tbh I actually often leave before reaching the top with one club if I see an easier way to achieve that somewhere else.

I've definately felt that, but I wanted to stick it out with At. Roma and win the league. I don't feel majorly bothered about winning them the champions league, which is why I think about leaving already, but that was the only reason I considered leaving before I won the league, was to bring Fiorentina or Man City their first champions league titles. Think Fiorentina have since won it, Man City still haven't though. Got offered the chance to manage them though.

Whats the best way to leave a club without the club hating you and therefore never wanting you back?

Does resigning work? Then waiting for a job? I know in real life a club will be peeved and take legal action if you resign and then take another job near instantly. But I'm guessing there would be no issues with that on the game, apart from them not liking you anymore maybe. I'm currently on the Icons list - hopefully will become a legend soon.

I've been poached twice in my current game. It is a little bit hard because I do develop bonds with the clubs I manage, but I felt I owed it to myself to progress, and in the leagues I was managing, there wasn't much opportunity for that. Settling in at the new club always takes time but once I work out my squad and the tactics I'm going to play, it feels like home again. I never accept sideways poaching offers though, and I would never do it from the same league. I wait for the right opportunity.

Basically I've gone like this:

Vindbjart -2012-2023: Middle of Norwegian second division to settled in lower middle of Norwegian Premier Division

Poached by FC Midtjyland - 2023-2027: Upper part of Danish Superliga, a couple of decent title challenges and a cup title

Poached by Bologna - 2027-2030 and onward: Top of Serie B -Middle of Serie A. Currently challenging for continental places.

I don't see myself moving from here, although I've been invited to declare interest in some pretty good jobs. Only club I'd really consider at this point would be Liverpool, for sentimental reasons.

The worst you can do is probably declaring interest and applying elsewhere, maybe even at various clubs.

I would suggest that is goes down better to be poached and also maybe just to resign before applying.

I don't have FMRTE. Maybe one could research that by trying these different ways and then looking if and at what level one appears on the former club's disliked persons list.

• 2 weeks later...

Just lost the CL Final on Penalties :( drew 1-1. Now before the game I thought I had no chance but then the game takes you in and gives you hope. It was 50-50 in the first half, had to survive a barrage of corners and had 2 CCC to go ahead but didn't, 0-0 at half time. Then on 63Mins to my astonishment I went ahead and then started to believe. Unfortunately it wasn't to be as they equalised with their sub ST in the 83rd minute.

ET was boring and it went to penalties, I always lose these! But again I thought I was gonna do it after scoring my first 2 and my goalie saving their second penalty. Unfortunately my AM missed the pen that would have put us 4-2 up by sky highing it over the bar. So instead they then made it 3-3, pen lead gone. Then to make it worse my sub RB then went on to miss the final pen for us leaving them to score the final pen(4-3) and take their 7th CL. I still sit on 0 :( God I hate losing on penalties, they somehow never go my way.

I'm waiting for the right job to come along as I don't see myself going a step further next year.

There are always further goals you can chase in the long-term games, even if you win everything. Maybe try to break some players personal records, build the biggest stadium in the world, observe the fall and decline of certain football nations, new style of play... Imagine the World Cup 2070 final with Argentina playing Brazil with both sides switching to ultra defensive 5-4-1 after 60 minutes of the game?

One thing is to be fond of players like Messi, Ronaldo with whom you can restart every game. On the other side, when your best regen retires, there is no way back.

My biggest long-term experience is from FM 07. I managed Partizan Belgrade for 70 seasons, winning 65 league titles, 23 UCL titles, and so on. We have a 119.200 seater stadium. However, due to the static league reputation, we were unable to sign players from certain nationalities. But the crucial point came in November 2075. We lost our home match 0-1 after pathetic performance. We also had 2 goals dissallowed. I decided to take the hard measure by complaining to the FA and by fining 3 of our players because of poor performance. The result? A 11K fine and I also got sacked!

The most important question is what to do now? Scenario 1: start a new game on FM 07 or FM 12. Scenario 2:continue unemployed and apply for other jobs. The problem is, that I doubt I have the passion to manage the team other than Partizan. Scenario 3 I found cheating at first, but now is becoming more and more an option: to retire my profile (after all, I am not on the club's favourite personnel list anymore) and create a new, different one and lead my former club into 22th century and maybe become even better manager... Basically it is the start of a new game but in a different world.

I have 3 save son the go.

One a network game with my brother thats about 8 seasons in. One a save that's in 2046 at the moment and my newest one is the one i created yesterday with the new update with will be my last save of FM12, i'll continue that until FM13 comes out probably.

Typically my interest wanes when all the footballers I recognise from today have retired. It gets a little dull when I line up against Barcelona or United in the final of the Champions League only to not recognise anybody in their lineup because they're all regens.

That said I'm a stickler for bringing up young stars and selling them on so that's always fun to watch. I'd say about 10-15 years in I start to get tired of my saves usually.

Still hoping someone gives an example where the AI doesn't ruin their old club.
They got it right in FM10 atleast...

I spend 11 years at Raith Rovers, bringing them up from league 2 to scottish premier league football. After a few years of jousting with Rangers and Celtic for the top spots, we managed to win the league three times. Then Real Madrid poached me.

The manager that took over from me at Raith is now the manager of Sunderland and has just won the english premier league with them. The manager who took over Raith after hím is now the manager of Arsenal and has just ended the season at 3rd place. The manager who took over Raith from that bloke has won the scottish premier league with Raith, but to be fair, he's only been there for a few months. Mr. Arsenal manager did most of the hard work. We'll have to see if they can keep it up.

It's 2038, season 2038/39 is about to start in about 2 months time. Raith have won the scottish premier league lots of times 15 years after I left. Got themselves a really nice 40,000 seats stadium too, named after a club legend; me... how flattering ;)

Raith is still challenging for the title every year.

Archived