Obsessed with Buying Young Talent

I am absolutly obsessed with buying awesome regens.

In my game, I am in Late March, just purchased 30 young players (will not arrive to start of next window in England) to go along with my squad of 40..

Start of next season will be fun, lots of complaints, sorting out the best from the worst.

Average age in my squad is 19, so they are young already..

Anyone else like this, just keep snapping up really good young players?

It's a bit different but I love giving youth prospects a chance in my first team. I'm not just talking about players that are obviously talented players, I like to give players with modest stats a run out and see how they perform. It can test your patience a bit sometimes but the rewards are amazing if you find a gem that your coaching staff never rated. I guess that's the thing with young players, whether you buy them or bring them through to youth system it's great watching them develop. I do like balance though, I couldn't have a team with just players around 18-21.

I am at the stage in the game where I have 300million to spend, so I pay what ever they want, but still negotiate it....

Some 17 years olds I have to pay 20mil for :(

I've never had that kind of money available mate, I can imagine it is very tempting to splash the cash on the next big thing. If you enjoy the game by doing this then keep doing it.

I just bought a 15 yr old french striker for $2.9mil, and my scouts/coaches say he will be a lot better (5*) than my star 22 yr old striker that Arsenal just offered $36mil for (I turned em down;)). I can't wait to see this kid grow up! I don't think I'm brave enough to spend like eastley though.:)

Screenie??

I build Liverpool in to am Empire!!! Rich club, top of everything, took me a while but I got there. Then I built a young but talented squad that dominated, so I never needed to buy any more players.. Several years on I got loads of money. So I sold everyone except 2 players, and then re stocked.

Right now, with a squad of 40 players, full staff and my youth team, I am spending 800k p/w, that is all..

That will creep up a little next season to about 1.2Million I think, but still leaves me 2 million left in wage budget alone!!

eastley, what did you want to see in a screenie exactly? I'll probably post it tomorrow since it's 1:40am at the moment.

It looks like I'm currently spending $950k/wk and allowed $1.14mil/wk. Also have $33.6mil to spend before my 5th season with Southampton starts.

Was after a screenie of your star player, and wow, late there.

When I had that much, I could get near 10 class regens.. Ned to hunt them down, even try really young so only have to pay the smaller compensation fee. Wages will be small.

When I first started my Liverpool save, I stuck with original team for 2 season, but in reserves I have a real young team developing to take over, eventually I filtered them in to main team when someone left or slackened off. By 4-5 season I was cruising.

I do exactly the same as the OP, sign every 4 star+ regen my scouts recommend, usually by the third season I'll have at least 2 regens playing most of the games in the first team. I did cost myself the title with Man Utd by a point by sticking with my youngsters 3 games in a row and scraping 3 draws!

Young players are the way forward, I never ever buy a player above the age of 25, unless he is either a birlliatn player fora very low price or free agent. That way you stil have time to maye improve some attributes before they reach their peak. Usually the only time I pay money for anyone who cant be developed at all is when I first start at a club and need to make improvements quickly

It's a bit different but I love giving youth prospects a chance in my first team. I'm not just talking about players that are obviously talented players, I like to give players with modest stats a run out and see how they perform. It can test your patience a bit sometimes but the rewards are amazing if you find a gem that your coaching staff never rated.
I feel the same way. I've played a young scottish DL like that for a while in a good SPL team in the 2020's. My AssMan and coaches all gave him half a star saying he wasn't good enough for the squad. He ended up playing a couple of scottish youth team caps and his attributes raised enough for him to warrant a 100k transfer to another scottish team. He ended up having a long carreer far in his 30's in the english leagues and is now a youth coach somewhere. I love it when stuff turns out like that!

Same with my LLM save. Went from managing Real Madrid to the depths of Blue Square North to Blackpool. Bought a young player from Crewe for 28k who was rated so-so by my staff. He's now my Blackpool captain in the EPL, 19 determination and his personality is professional. Loving it :)

I know how you feel guys! I once had over 200 players at my club :D But now I don't use the player search anymore. It is so much more rewarding and realistic if you go through the squads of other teams and find a gem this way than if you would simply find him with the player search because he has determination, passing & pace > 15. It takes a lot more time but then on the other hand you usually miss out on good prospects who will reinforce the AI teams, which makes the game challenging in the long run.

I know how you feel guys! I once had over 200 players at my club :D But now I don't use the player search anymore. It is so much more rewarding and realistic if you go through the squads of other teams and find a gem this way than if you would simply find him with the player search because he has determination, passing & pace > 15. It takes a lot more time but then on the other hand you usually miss out on good prospects who will reinforce the AI teams, which makes the game challenging in the long run.

See I usually look through teams, but only of teams with good youth academys, I.E, barca, West Ham, Crewe depending on the level of football im playing at. Then I find most of my good regens from the Youth Intake screen

I like buying young but to be fair I find my teams play better with 2 or 3 older players in key positions (centre half/goalie/striker etc) regardless of how godly my kids are.

The team seems to play more fluidily and make less mistakes. Not saying all young teams aren't great but I think they're even better with oldies sprinkled in.

When it comes to youth i normally start around the 3rd season and will only sign someone if they're 4 stars. Never loan youth out dont see the point, unless they're not good enough for the first team so just loan them out till i can realease them in the summer.

On my current save I do not spend more than three seasons at a club so usually buy already developed players around 20-23 years old who have some room for improvement. On fm11 I signed a lot of youth and always look in the Ivory Coast under 21's, I signed someone at 17 years old for 600k and by the time he was 21 I sold him for £100 million.

I do a long term save where I am Champions League and Premier League holders at Aston Villa so I don't really need to improve the first team squad anymore. I am now at the stage where I look for any bargain young regens going so I don't have to spend a lot of money in the future and I get to fill the homegrown quotas pretty easily. I have started to reap the rewards now as well. Got a young AMR when he was 18 for the huge cost of 6k (yes, that is not a typo), he is now playing every week at 21 and valued at 8m. My regen striker is 20, bought him at 17 but he lost most of his 2nd season because of injury. Not good enough to start yet against the better sides but he has scored 22 goals in 24 appearances this season, described as a wonderkid and not more than a year away from being a 1st choice.

My reserve squad is also full of talent including a 17 year old with 17 finishing, 17 composure, 16 pace and 15 off the ball. Cost me 1.5m but it saw a friend of mine calling me a greedy so and so because I only play with 1 striker!

I have only 3 young players at any given year (one defender, One mid, and one striker) so I can give them playing time in my first team squad... Why take away all those talents from other teams that could've signed them and develop them? It only makes an easy game easier since they're now out of talents that your team hoard... O.o

I have only 3 young players at any given year (one defender, One mid, and one striker) so I can give them playing time in my first team squad... Why take away all those talents from other teams that could've signed them and develop them? It only makes an easy game easier since they're now out of talents that your team hoard... O.o

I personally don't over hoard young talent. I have got 6 players in my first team squad who I signed at young ages and have improved enough to deserve games. Got another 15 players in my reserves of which at least another 3 will get promoted when I sell some players at the end of the current season. None of these players cost me more than 2m and some were free so it doesn't cost me a lot to do it. We also all have home grown rules to follow and it is the easiest way of doing it because the players we get offered from the youth grad's are still pretty pathetic more often than not.

I must admit I suffer from the Wenger addiction as well! I always pick up around 7 good youth players each year as well as keeping about 6 or 7 regens! But saying that I like letting players retire at my club being club legends. SO things become pretty crowded although I did last year spend £20m on a 16 year old who is gonna be a beast but I suppose I hope he does a rooney and comes good, otherwise the board are gonna hate me!!!

Although I did sign an amazing regen player with the name Randy Van Dijk, already he is hard as nails ;-)

I used to this a lot but in the last couple of versions have had a more 'balanced' approach between buying established players and not just trawling for young talent (if you know what I mean...)

Currently playing as Bayern Munich, but when i leave in a season or two I'm planning to find a job at a club where I can foster a nursery a la Auxerre or similar...it's always great fun playing with talented kids. If you know what I mean.

I'm addicted to signing cheap youngsters from all over the world! I'm Brisbane Roar - have 50 players in my youth squad, my first team has an average age of 21! I never buy anyone over 23. Ive had 16 million to spend for the past five years but haven't spent over 100k! Signed an Aussie for 7k from the state leagues - Hes now worth 12 million and wanted by arsenal! Also, signed an Ivorian beast from JCA for free. Scored about 80 goals in 3 years and then undersold to Juventus for 13 million because of my chairman!

I'm addicted to signing cheap youngsters from all over the world! I'm Brisbane Roar - have 50 players in my youth squad, my first team has an average age of 21! I never buy anyone over 23. Ive had 16 million to spend for the past five years but haven't spent over 100k! Signed an Aussie for 7k from the state leagues - Hes now worth 12 million and wanted by arsenal! Also, signed an Ivorian beast from JCA for free. Scored about 80 goals in 3 years and then undersold to Juventus for 13 million because of my chairman!

My average team age is 19, that is first team too, lol. Still won premiership though with Liverpool, lost everything else :(

I am cutting my squad back slowly now, over 100 players!!

Archived