Has anyone has a worse board than my lot?!

8 years in with West Ham. Got promotion and then went 5th, 5th with Gold and Sullivan in charge and they were pretty good with transfer budgets and the like. Then I get taken over and far from a Sheikh I think I got a Barrow Boy from the East End!! I since have gone 6th, 6th, 9th and 4th and all I get each season since a reasonably generous first year is a poxy £3 million or so transfer budget despite two reasonably decent European campaigns and top half finishes. They have tried and failed to find a feeder Club for any merchandising, don't allow me enough in wages to improve on the players I have and have now cheekily suggested that "the fans find me at fault in letting Anderson go and call it an abberation" despite not letting me have the wage structure to keep him!! Are this the most penny pinching mob in FM?! It seems that the only way I will be able to attract and afford top class players is to win the Champions League, and then I am sure they will hide the money somewhere.

Are this bunch the worst or do you have a worse board?

Well the most I was in debt was 13 million (IRL most Clubs are far worse than that!). Start of the season just finished I was in the black making a season profit of 11 and a half million. Spent about 15m on players last season but that was from sales so was also 20 m in profit from sales after purchases. Had a maximum financial control slider was under my wage budget and qualified for Champions League via 4th, and at the start of this season I was given the £ 3.5 million transfer budget and that's to challenge for the title!!

It seems that the only way I can boost my budgets are by selling or winning something as merchandising seems dead in this version. Seems quite unfair that my original board were fine and yet I get taken over by someone with no money whatsoever!!!!

Not an awful board IMO.

Their direction seems different, hidden stat that the board members are tough on finance. Need to get your club in the green, then it will change..

Scout like mad for a few regens that can make first team. Save Money!!

Keep trying for feeder club(USA has always been great to me), loan out players that are not first team and get part of their wage paid, even try for some up front.

If you have one pure star you can get millions for, sell him and get 2 you regens to rotate in that position etc..

Board will whine how you sold an awesome player, but they get over it.

I'm currently playing a west ham file, and in fairness i'm not a massive fan of the original board, on season 16/17 and twice now they have tried to sell players behind my back, tomkins went to birmingham after season against my will for 10 million, and a regen i signed from barcelona for 3.2 whos a world beater to be at left back almost left at the beginning of my season but managed to talk him into a new contract behind the boards back so to speak. Much rather a board that leave my team alone than a board selling my places, despite being in a healthy financial position :(

A truly awful board by the sounds of it. You need to scout here, there and every chuffing where for some cheap regens who won't eat up a lot of your wages for a start either. Hopefully by the time they want a higher wage you will be a Champions League side so will be able to afford to keep them.

Similar story on a smaller scale: I got Preston promoted to the Championship in the the first season. Finances had taken a hit in L1, but the board had thrown in some extra cash to meet running costs and we had less than £1m debt. There was a massive loan which was paid back in instalments when the club made a profit, but the day-to-day costs were well in hand. First season back the board wanted a midtable finish, but only gave me a wage budget of about £65k/week. This made my yearly wage spend the lowest in the division at about 70% of the next lowest club and around 15% of the really big boys in the division. Having rebuilt the ageing L1 squad with younger players using every trick I know to keep wages down I achieved the midtable finish they wanted only to be told that the next season they wanted a top half finish, but were only giving me about £5k/week more than the year before. After about 3 months of scrapping for points with my team of low-priced misfits I decided I couldn't face another season trying to fulfil the board's expectations on a shoestring and walked out. Two weeks later I got offered the job at Birmingham who were a place or two above Preston (15th and 16th respectively if memory serves), but had 5 times the wage budget. We destroyed the league for the rest of the season and finished top on 101 points. Preston stayed up, but last time I looked were still scrapping in the bottom half with a tiny squad of misfits. While it's nice to see some boards being careful with money there comes a point when the budget simply isn't in line with the expectations (which sounds a bit like the OP's situation).

Half the problem is the transfer system. You just cannot bring in 2 or 3 good players for say 10 million and I honestly don't think I have ever bought a player for his "value". More often than not you have to pay at least double his value so makes values a bit pointless really. Some very odd wage requests as well. Just got A. Song in on loan. He was up for sale at a good price but he wanted £160,000 a week. He is 31 and was on £57 grand a week at his other Club. Nasri I have got on loan for the last 4 years from Man City but if I try and buy him he wants £360,000 a week. He is in his 30's. Mascherano was the same. The game lowers players values as they get older but not their wage demands.

The other thing is when players have their contracts running out. Take Cahill IRL. Bolton could have got 15 odd Million for him last summer but in January they had to settle for half that. In Fm even if players contracts are running down their Clubs ask for full whack right up until the last minute and I have noticed at the last minute a lot of those players accept new contracts with that Club. PS 8 odd years into the game the number of decent free's lowers dramatically as well.

I know West Ham not having much money is realistic blah blah blah but it's a game and surely takeovers should give you extra funds not being tighter than the last lot!!

I can see how it must be frustrating, but I think I would actually like the challenge of having a board like that.

I always prefer to wheel and deal, unearth gems, that sort of thing. I would love the challenge of being forced to scrimp!

Thing is when you have been wheeling and dealing for a few years and qualify for the Champions League it would be nice to go out and get players "good enough" for the Champions League!!

He is in his 30's. Mascherano was the same. The game lowers players values as they get older but not their wage demands.

I find that players 31 and older ask for wages lower than their current deal if there on big money. Atleast they do in my own games.

Thing is when you have been wheeling and dealing for a few years and qualify for the Champions League it would be nice to go out and get players "good enough" for the Champions League!!

How often and regular as it been though? Have you proved it over time? We all saw what happened to Leeds IRL when they did the same.

Also when do your current sponsorship and tv deals expire?

I find that players 31 and older ask for wages lower than their current deal if there on big money. Atleast they do in my own games.

How often and regular as it been though? Have you proved it over time? We all saw what happened to Leeds IRL when they did the same.

Also when do your current sponsorship and tv deals expire?

Sponsorship at August 2019

Kit Sponsorship 3.27m per season ends 2022

Additional kit 2.38 m p/s ends 2023

4yr general 427k p/s ends 2020

2 yr general 414k p/s ends 2021

3 yr general 414k p/s ends 2022

Total 6,919,564

Previous season total sponsorship 6,827,877

Not sure when the TV deal finishes as can't see that info.

Sponsorship at August 2019

Kit Sponsorship 3.27m per season ends 2022

Additional kit 2.38 m p/s ends 2023

4yr general 427k p/s ends 2020

2 yr general 414k p/s ends 2021

3 yr general 414k p/s ends 2022

Total 6,919,564

Previous season total sponsorship 6,827,877

Not sure when the TV deal finishes as can't see that info.

I had a board quite simliar to yours and even though I was winning everything all I was getting was like £4mill a season for 4 seasons. But that's because I grew too big and the sponsorship deals didn't end I still had 3 years left on them. Due to growing in stature the deals no longer matched and because they last for so long like 4 years, if you grow in this time then money will be tight until they are renewed. Now since I got new deals I get atleast £40 mill a season. I've noticed this to be the case on every save I have. So I assume money will get better for you once a few of the deals expire.

Archived