No workaround for offline mode?

If you had a working Steam account then you dont need to be connected to internet for it run FM offline. I just bought a new computer and left steam on my old one which i have given to my son, i havent even got it connected to the internet and he plays offline, just start Steam and it'll tell you it cant connect, just select offline mode and away you go.

:)To OP,you must have bin online before you lost your internet connection,dont think theres any workaround than connecting again,i had this last year,you cant play any games,very annoying,now i always run in offline mode,you live&learn!

Sometimes,when i've have played a Steam game,then exit and go do somthing else on the PC then come back and open the "games"and choose one,it ses"cannot find Steam",then it goes auto to the Steam website(this is with it set in offline mode),dont be fooled into going into online mode,just log off your PC and then start-up again,the games then work again in offline mode lol

To save yourselves most of the troubles with Steam, just use it online ONCE ... when you first register the game. Then set Steam to offline mode, and never go online again. Except when there's a new game patch that needs to be downloaded, of course. This is my method, and I have never had any issues whatsoever.

If you had a working Steam account then you dont need to be connected to internet for it run FM offline. I just bought a new computer and left steam on my old one which i have given to my son, i havent even got it connected to the internet and he plays offline, just start Steam and it'll tell you it cant connect, just select offline mode and away you go.

This would be against Terms of Service..

To save yourselves most of the troubles with Steam, just use it online ONCE ... when you first register the game. Then set Steam to offline mode, and never go online again. Except when there's a new game patch that needs to be downloaded, of course. This is my method, and I have never had any issues whatsoever.

This is true, and what I do. Unfortunately, it still asks every single time I load the game if I really mean it, and wouldn't I rather be online. Having to do this also removes any benefit there may be from having Steam in the first place. Still, better than FM going the way of EHM I guess.

Really? You have another Steam client than I have then - never seen that. And what are the "benefits" of Steam exactly? Except for it being an aid to reduce piracy for the game companies I mean. That you can chat with "friends" on it? Don't need that. Get "achievements"? Pathetic. Being able to order new games directly? Don't need that either, I can easily get much better deals elsewhere. Really - I can see advantages with Steam for the game companies - in this case SI/Sega, but for the customer? Nah - all I see is nuisance.

Really? You have another Steam client than I have then - never seen that. And what are the "benefits" of Steam exactly? Except for it being an aid to reduce piracy for the game companies I mean. That you can chat with "friends" on it? Don't need that. Get "achievements"? Pathetic. Being able to order new games directly? Don't need that either, I can easily get much better deals elsewhere. Really - I can see advantages with Steam for the game companies - in this case SI/Sega, but for the customer? Nah - all I see is nuisance.

I'm a fan of Steam, its about how you find things i guess, but for me with the exception of FM, every other game i've bought direct from Steam has never cost me more than a fiver, i'm just patient and wait until they have an offer and away i go.

In the last year i've bought Metro 2033, Singularity, Just Cause 2, Left for Dead 1&2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas (loved this one), Bejewelled 3, Plants v Zombies (2 copies), Assassin's Creed 1&2, Call of Juarez-Bound in Blood, Both Riddick games, Homefront, Mafia 2 and Medal of honor.

Every single one of those was a fiver or less, most were £3, thats why i use Steam, its the value for money if you are willing to wait a while after a game is released, but i can see why people seem to dislike it if they have problems with it, but i just love it me, luckily i've never had problems myself, which obviously make it easier for me to like it.

Whenever I start FM without being connected to the internet, Steam will still be started as well and prompt a box telling me it cannot connect. It then leaves me the options of retrying or playing offline. When choosing the latter, FM loads up just as it should. :)

The only thing that doesn't work then are the Steam achievements, but hell, wo cares about them anyway?

• Administrators

Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the ‘Remember my password’ box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as ‘100% - Ready’ it is ready to be played in Offline Mode).

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played.

4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the ‘Don't save account credentials on this computer’ option is not selected.

5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline.

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode.

Using Offline Mode on a Mac.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your Mac:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the ‘Remember my password’ box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as ‘100% - Ready’ it is ready to be played in Offline Mode).

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played

4. Go to Steam > Preferences to ensure the ‘Don't save account credentials on this computer’ option is not selected.

5. From the main Steam window, go to the Account menu and select Go Offline.

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to continue.

Thanks, all. A lesson for everyone there, I think.

I had found the instructions on how to access offline mode via my iPhone, but that doesn't work should you unexpectedly lose your connection when Virgin Media have a 5-day fault in the area.

So... to avoid potential problems like this, we should all make sure we start Steam in offline mode whilst we are online at some time?

I've managed to do this using my father-in-law's connection and can now play the game. Does this mean I can now go to offline mode any time I like?

I must say, this is really a terrible idea for customers. Should be able to access offline mode at any time without the rigmorale. But hey, I'm okay now.

Thanks again for the replies.

Weird. I never explicitly set my Steam client to offline mode when I changed ISP's last year and had to spend a couple of months without an internet connection - it just prompted me saying it couldn't connect and would I like to use offline mode, on the first occasion that I tried to start it without an internet connection. As I had played all the games I had installed at least once whilst online before using the offline mode, everything worked fine.

Well said that man! I totally agree with you.

Archived