Top striker forgets how to score

Its the same every season, whoever is my top goalscorer is after around 15 games and 20 goals he suddenly and without reason forgets how to score. He'll manager to miss the most simple of chances and its always the same every season :mad:

<a  href=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5271/ferdinandabdallahhistor.png' alt='ferdinandabdallahhistor.png'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

No, Teddy, you wouldn't. You would expect it, sometimes. For example, Michael Chopra. MOst good Strikers my have a baron spell, but his is just not scoring whatsoever, not just on this occasion, but it's something he's noticed happens frequently.

Drop him to the subs bench until he finds his form again. Give him a kick up the harris also but don't be too harsh too often. Changing striker roles and swapping striker positions during a match may also help him find his feet again. As others have said it happens regularly to even some of the best and is something all users have to manage from time to time.

I had this problem recently with one of my young strikers and found that an individual meeting helped. I told him he had to work harder to be in the first team, etc. He responded positively and in my last match he scored a hattrick. I think sometimes it can be sheer complacency and the answer, as marty 78 mentioned, is often a simple kick in the rear.

He may have a low consistency rating. On top of that, he may also get complacent. Have you tried giving him negative feedback or dropping him for a few games?

What about injuries to the rest of your squad. Are the same chances being created when your fringe players play?

have a whole lot of things to take into account regarding a players form, maybe hes not happy with his contract, people that were giving the assists are not up to bar, maybe they or he doesn't like their current contract, maybe teams scouting him out and realising hes a threat and marking up on him? you go one game you go a few. private talks about form, bad training, offers of new contracts etc. all help! maybe he needs a rest

all this an tons more why i love fm. if you had a player who scored game after game messi ronaldo style, wouldn't be much fun would it? not for me anyway.

Are goals the be all and end all for strikers? My team have so far scored 88 goals in the league this season and my top scorer has..... 12! I only play with 1 striker so I could get annoyed that he is not hitting the net with the regularity that he used to but he has become for whatever reason unselfish, happy to run down the flanks and pass rather than shoot if its the right thing to do. He is getting a lot of assists or being involved in the build up a lot for chances and we have scored a lot more at this stage than ever before despite the fact he has scored a lot less.

In short, it is always worth looking at what else a striker. does for the team as well as his goal record.

Are goals the be all and end all for strikers? My team have so far scored 88 goals in the league this season and my top scorer has..... 12! I only play with 1 striker so I could get annoyed that he is not hitting the net with the regularity that he used to but he has become for whatever reason unselfish, happy to run down the flanks and pass rather than shoot if its the right thing to do. He is getting a lot of assists or being involved in the build up a lot for chances and we have scored a lot more at this stage than ever before despite the fact he has scored a lot less.

In short, it is always worth looking at what else a striker. does for the team as well as his goal record.

Completely agree with this. Im going ot bring up the Torres argument here, although he doesnt score the goals he does work for the team and hes definately still got the skill (that cross for Mata's volley), so goals are not the be all and end all for strikers. Although I must add before the Torres is awful claims start up I do agree he is not the player he once was, but things arnt as bad as they seem. Its just that 50mill that makes it look so os bad

Yeah this has happened to me in my latest season. Had a striker that was scoring well over a goal a game, and then he stopped for a good handful of games.

I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside with some interaction, tried swapping striker roles around and thirdly gave different team talks specifically to him and it turned around again.

Top manager forgets how to manage ;)

What's changed in your team between those two seasons?

I've been managing Cliftonville for four seasons, but it seems that around the 15 game mark my forwards forget how to score. Then the whole team morale drops to abysmal :(

One of two things is happening imo:

a) Your pre-season isn't correct, meaning your team burn out too early, or dont have the correct level of fitness to sustain their performance

or

b) The opposition teams no longer look at you as a team they can beat with their eyes closed and actually start preparing properly for their matches against you

It's probably a little bit of a) and a lot of b).

The way to combat a) is to try something different in the next preseason to see if you can make a difference. b) happens because the tactics you have aren't strong enough to break down a good defensive formation. Because the opposition are now taking you seriously, you need to modify your tactical approach to matches in order to sustain your team's performances.

One of two things is happening imo:

a) Your pre-season isn't correct, meaning your team burn out too early, or dont have the correct level of fitness to sustain their performance

or

b) The opposition teams no longer look at you as a team they can beat with their eyes closed and actually start preparing properly for their matches against you

It's probably a little bit of a) and a lot of b).

The way to combat a) is to try something different in the next preseason to see if you can make a difference. b) happens because the tactics you have aren't strong enough to break down a good defensive formation. Because the opposition are now taking you seriously, you need to modify your tactical approach to matches in order to sustain your team's performances.

Thanks for the advice:thup:, will give it a go and post the results here :)

Archived