Is manager of the year broken?

Last year I had won the league and at the time the award was announced I was in the final of the Champions League (which I then went on to win). I think our predicted position was 4th in the league so I thought I had done enough.

But apparently Ian Holloway was a more deserving winner with Leicster, who finished 12th after just being promoted and predicted 19. I'm not saying he did a bad job, it's impressive but it's hardly unique.

I let it go though but this year is just ridiculous. Everton, who were predicted to finish 9th finished 7th and also won the League cup. He didn't get a single manager of the month to my 4 but somehow amassed 1119 manager points compared to my 967.

So they finished 7th and won the League Cup. Me? I win the leauge with 103 points and during that I had a winning streak that lasted 26 games, beating the previous record by over 10 and also had a winning streak of 34 in all competitions. I also won the FA Cup and I'm just about the play Barcelona in the Champions League. I was predicted to finish 3rd this year, so we both finished 2 positions above what our predicted positions were.

They obviously couldn't differentiate who had done better so had to toss a coin. Or on the other hand, Manager of the year has gone down the toilet.

No offence but all you are doing is winning what the board expect you to win. I am guessing you are a top team so maybe its a bigger achievement that a lower club finishes high in the league.

In 2000/01 season George Burley got Ispwich to 5th in the Prem and won manager of year.

Yet Houllier at Liverpool led them to the treble of Lge Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup, Man Utd won a third title on the bounce.

Burley won nothing yet got the award, and fairly so IMHO.

No offence but all you are doing is winning what the board expect you to win. I am guessing you are a top team so maybe its a bigger achievement that a lower club finishes high in the league.

In 2000/01 season George Burley got Ispwich to 5th in the Prem and won manager of year.

Yet Houllier at Liverpool led them to the treble of Lge Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup, Man Utd won a third title on the bounce.

Burley won nothing yet got the award, and fairly so IMHO.

To the guy above you, no, I never holiday.

And to you, I realise the team among the favourites who win don't always get MOTY, but if you look back through history when a top team achieves something truly spectacular then they have been given the MOTY award (Ferguson's treble year, Wengers invincibles year).

And like I said, mine was a spectacular year. I won every compeition other than the league cup, I then went unbeaten from November until the end of the season (in all competions) and that streak which is still going included a streak of 34 wins in all compeitions and 26 wins in a row in the league, which beat the previous record of 14.

But if you think that is just doing what the board expects then I think I won't trust your judgement in footballing matters because FYI, that sort of season doesn't happen all too often (ever in RL in fact).

Archived