Winning the CL with a team outside the Big nations?

Anyone won the CL with a team from a smaller nation (eg. Belgium, Scotland etc)?

What tactics did you use?

I have a World Class team, I've tried different tactics but I get the same each year. Does the match engine care how good your team are or does it just look at the reputation of the leagues the teams are form?

I have better players, super tactics from the tactics forum and excellent domestic form. I should be doing better.

Anyone won the CL with a team from a smaller nation (eg. Belgium, Scotland etc)?

What tactics did you use?

I have a World Class team, I've tried different tactics but I get the same each year. Does the match engine care how good your team are or does it just look at the reputation of the leagues the teams are form?

I have better players, super tactics from the tactics forum and excellent domestic form. I should be doing better.

Thanks dafuge. It will take me some time to go through that thread.

I have a feeling there is far to much emphasis on the reputation of the league a team comes from rather than the actual team.

I have a world class Rangers team. My players are top class in every position and I still can't win. I obviously haven't tried cheating (possibly the only way).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coop:

Thanks dafuge. It will take me some time to go through that thread.

I have a feeling there is far to much emphasis on the reputation of the league a team comes from rather than the actual team.

I have a world class Rangers team. My players are top class in every position and I still can't win. I obviously haven't tried cheating (possibly the only way). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't go down the route of cheating. It is possible, just give it time. icon14.gif

I can't give you much advice yet, as I've only just started in European competition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coop:

Just noticed the thread you linked me to was for FM07. It was a lot easier in that version than this years.

Has anyone won the CL in FM08 with a team from a small country? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say it was easier last year, but no one has completed it yet this year.

I won the UEFA Cup with Feyenoord. Then the next year I won my group in the Champions League and in the first knockout round I beat Betis 3-2 at home (they scored a goal where a deep cross from their fullback went straight through the hole in my keeper's chest).

In the away leg I was down 3-0 at halftime but came back to 3-2 (so we were even on away goals) and then had about 4 or 5 goals disallowed or had open goal sitters missed by my players before Betis scored again to beat us 4-2 and 6-5 on aggregate.

But they did have better players than us.

Anyway I quit that game at the end of that season and now I'm playing Ternana where at least I won't be hampered by the league reputation when I get to the Serie A.

I won once with Shakhtar in fm07 in 07/08 season.

My base team was:

Malafeev

Ilsinho

Lewandowski

Hubschman

Kleber (DL - Santos F.C.)

Tymoschuk

Alex (ML - Internacional)

Valentierra

Elano

Tkatchenko

Ernesto Farías

Mauro Zarate

In most away games I used 4-1-4-1 with counter attack option.

Well, I'm managing Slavonija in Croatia and have come close on one occasion. Lost in the semi-finals to Valencia 9-3 icon13.gif. That was 4 years ago IIRC and I've only got to the quarters since. To be fair I've not had as strong a team as I had back in the semi-final days (although this season is looking promising).

Anyway, it's not been done yet in Gundo's challenge but I strongly recommend joining us and having a go!

Brann Bergen , Olympiakos Piraeus , Spartak Moskow , Sporting Lisboa , Saint Ettiene... i have won CL with all of them in various cm/fm games .

Usually it takes me 4-6 years to win it but the burden of small leagues is that you have to sell all of your good players and rebuild to do it again 3-4 years after .

I somehow managed to win the CL with Celtic in my second season. Came second in my group arsenal topped it. Then I drew barca. 0-0 at the nou camp and 1-1 at parkhead. then it was Bolton 3-0 at parkhead and 1-0 at the reebok. Next up schalke 0-0 in Germany 2-0 at parkhead.

Lyon in the final, beat them 2-0.

Easiest route I have ever had to the final.

A complete fluke.

I had zarate and bianchi up front.

I won Champions League with Grindavik in FM06 - our cheapo (~£5k) Faroese striker destroyed Villareal, Juventus and Bayern Munich en-route to us beating Arsenal in the final. Definitely the most amazing savegame I've ever played as I never in a million years thought we'd achieve anything close to that - it took us ~4 years just to qualify for the group stage of the tournament in the 1st place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.G.:

Then I drew barca. 0-0 at the nou camp and 1-1 at parkhead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't that mean a loss on away goals?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blight 00:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.G.:

Then I drew barca. 0-0 at the nou camp and 1-1 at parkhead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't that mean a loss on away goals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif youre right, it should be the other way around. doh

1-1 at the nou camp and 0-0 at parkhead.

There was one person who won the CL over 20 times with a Swedish team on '07. There's a (swedish) thread about it, if you're interested. He has the screenshots to back it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deisden:

There was one person who won the CL over 20 times with a Swedish team on '07. There's a (swedish) thread about it, if you're interested. He has the screenshots to back it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you happen to have a link for that thread?

I play as Rangers and have won the CL the last 5 years.

I do have a good team, the players are all rated as 4 stars except my front 3 who are 5 stars. My team is now made up mostly of regens. I did use genie scout to find most of the regens. I suppose the purists will think that is cheating.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 with two cm and two wingers, the back 7 are purely defensive, the front 3 are set to lots of creative freedom and counter attacking.

I don't know if this is significant, but for domestic matches I play 4-4-2 and only use the above tactic in CL matches.

My best reults tend to be away from home, where the opposition press forward more and I then hit them on the counter attack.

I won it with Derby in my 4th season. Not a small nation but it was hard never-the-less.

I used a normal team mentality 442 at home, sometimes going attacking depending on opposition, result needed etc.

At the start of the season I managed to sell Gyan for 35m to liverpool, which had a big part in it.

(with the cash I managed to sign Vela, Duccase, Veluso and M. Richards )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leeturner:

I won it with Derby in my 4th season. Not a small nation but it was hard never-the-less.

I used a normal team mentality 442 at home, sometimes going attacking depending on opposition, result needed etc.

At the start of the season I managed to sell Gyan for 35m to liverpool, which had a big part in it.

(with the cash I managed to sign Vela, Duccase, Veluso and M. Richards ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PS, I used a counter 4141 away

Im in Scotland too, with Hearts.

Reached the semis the past 2 seasons (now in 6th season) but went out both times on away goals to Real Madrid and AC Milan.

Got a good team that has won 4 leagues on the trot and went undefeated domestically last season.

I am confident of winning the CL within the next 3 years icon_biggrin.gif

Archived