Understanding Attributes

I'm into January of my 7th season now and I'm in the market for a new striker. I'm new to Football Manager this year so I apologize if this is a stupid question but I'm slightly unsure about which attributes are most important for a striker. I understand it's not simply about have 18/20 finishing and that there are a number of other attributes that contribute to a good skill set for a front man like composure, off the ball etc. I have a very basic understanding of what is best to look for, is one more important than the other? Is it better to look for a striker with 12/20 finishing and 12/20 composure rather than 19/20 finishing and 3/20 composure?

Also, what situations does composure play a part in a match? Does it have an effect on penalties? Thanks for your help. I'd just like to gain a better understanding of this fantastic game, I have definitely become a fan of the series. I've never played a game that has kept me thinking and entertained for so long.

When player has low composure he will likely be prone to pressure, like fail on important matches, penalties, 1on1's... etc. I think finishing and composure are both equally important.

Ok, thank you for the response. So it would be better to select a penalty taker with 15/20 pentalty taking and 19/20 composure over a player with 18/20 penalty taking and 9/20 composure?

Th3lb I read http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/player-attributes to help me understand the game better, try it I think you'll find it helpful. As far as striker goes it really comes down to what kind of striker do you want? Some people (like me) likes to pair up a strong target man with a faster poacher, some like to have a more balanced complete forward (though this kind of player is extremely rare). Composure is used whenever player is on the attack and under pressure by defender, Striker with high finishing but low comp will break under pressure and shoot the ball way off the goal xD, If you can't find player with both high composure and finishing, then go with something like 15 comp/15 finishing rather than low comp/high finishing. The other attributes again depend on how you want to utilise your striker

Th3lb I read http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/player-attributes to help me understand the game better, try it I think you'll find it helpful. As far as striker goes it really comes down to what kind of striker do you want? Some people (like me) likes to pair up a strong target man with a faster poacher, some like to have a more balanced complete forward (though this kind of player is extremely rare). Composure is used whenever player is on the attack and under pressure by defender, Striker with high finishing but low comp will break under pressure and shoot the ball way off the goal xD, If you can't find player with both high composure and finishing, then go with something like 15 comp/15 finishing rather than low comp/high finishing. The other attributes again depend on how you want to utilise your striker

Thanks mate. I'll give that a read, I've noticed there is a lot to learn with FM!

Ok, thank you for the response. So it would be better to select a penalty taker with 15/20 pentalty taking and 19/20 composure over a player with 18/20 penalty taking and 9/20 composure?

I think for penalty taking finishing, composure and penalty taking -attributes are needed. Not sure which one is the most important tho. But yea i would choose that first guy myself.

really, for a striker, pace/acc and off the ball are the most important stats. then comes composure and finishing. pretty much all else is not very important. that's why strikers like paloschi and vela are excellent poachers, far better value for money than more costly players like benzema, chamakh..basically any other player lacking pace.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM

Have a read of this, it explains how the attributes work in an actual game

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

really, for a striker, pace/acc and off the ball are the most important stats. then comes composure and finishing. pretty much all else is not very important. that's why strikers like paloschi and vela are excellent poachers, far better value for money than more costly players like benzema, chamakh..basically any other player lacking pace.

Ok, appreciate the tip mate.

there is also a tactical theorem e-book if you want to learn more about tactics, you can get this for free at at http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/tactics-ebooks/tactical-theorems-10/

It is a little bit out of date but may help

You will find loads of good info in the Tactics & Training section and, along with Cleon's thread, SFraser's threads are well worth a read.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275644-The-SFraser-Memorial-Thread-Links-to-all-the-discussions-and-guides.

Cheers lads. I've got plenty to get through now. If I read different threads and theories am I going to get conflicting ideas about what's the best approach to the game or is there a general view that is widely accepted as being correct? I understand that may be difficult to answer given the many different aspects to the game.

The the therom is not telling you which tactic to make it is telling you from ground up how to make a tactic, alot of reading but if you want to fully understand then there is two choices, play enough to understand, or read. I choose a bit of both, my tactics normally work. I make a tactic, play it, see its flaws, read up on the floors(well try) and then I can try and change them.

The the therom is not telling you which tactic to make it is telling you from ground up how to make a tactic, alot of reading but if you want to fully understand then there is two choices, play enough to understand, or read. I choose a bit of both, my tactics normally work. I make a tactic, play it, see its flaws, read up on the floors(well try) and then I can try and change them.

Sounds good. I'll give it a read. :thup:

The best and only approach to the game is your own. Reading threads by the likes of Sfraser and Cleon will arm you with the kind of knowledge that will help you understand more how various aspects of the game work and so develop your own approach as you learn more. There is so much in the game that has little or no documentation and if you (one) don't seek some help/info from such insightful and knowledgable people you (one) could easily go several versions of the game not knowing of 'the existance of Tutoring', for example, how it works and it's importance within the game.

Anyone worth their salt won't be telling you how to play the game unless you are stuck and ask for specific help to get you going again. Read away, adopt and adapt whatever appeals to you and even if you find nothing you would use, SFraser's threads are written with skill and passion and in my opinion are must reads.

Although it is hopelessly inadequate, don't forget the manual, http://www.footballmanager.com/webmanual

it depends what kind of striker you are looking for, me personally i love pace up front so i would look for the following :-

Acceleration, Pace, Finishing, Composure, Anticipation, Off the Ball, Technique, First Touch, Dribbling

also i would say PPM's are quite important for getting a player to operate how you wish, i like my striker to have 'place shots', 'beat offside trap' and possibly 'runs with ball thru centre'

for target man i would say Finishing, Composure, Jumping, Heading, Strength are important and other attributes (listed above) will always be benefit, PPM i would say 'play with back to goal' and 'shoot with power'

not sure if it is still the case because i dont have my copy to hand, but years ago it listed all attributes in the boxed copy manual and what they mean. Gave me a clearer understanding

The best and only approach to the game is your own. Reading threads by the likes of Sfraser and Cleon will arm you with the kind of knowledge that will help you understand more how various aspects of the game work and so develop your own approach as you learn more. There is so much in the game that has little or no documentation and if you (one) don't seek some help/info from such insightful and knowledgable people you (one) could easily go several versions of the game not knowing of 'the existance of Tutoring', for example, how it works and it's importance within the game.

Anyone worth their salt won't be telling you how to play the game unless you are stuck and ask for specific help to get you going again. Read away, adopt and adapt whatever appeals to you and even if you find nothing you would use, SFraser's threads are written with skill and passion and in my opinion are must reads.

Although it is hopelessly inadequate, don't forget the manual, http://www.footballmanager.com/webmanual

Thank you. I've had a peek at at couple of threads by SFraser and they are incredibly detailed which is fantastic. :thup:

Cheers lads. I've got plenty to get through now. If I read different threads and theories am I going to get conflicting ideas about what's the best approach to the game or is there a general view that is widely accepted as being correct? I understand that may be difficult to answer given the many different aspects to the game.

As far as understanding the attributes, Cleon's thread is the only one you need to read. She's nailed it in that.

Archived