Why can't I sign scouts!?

I've just started a game as Aston Villa, looked at the two very mediocre scouts I've got and decided to release them both. However, I looked for scouts to replace them and for whatever reason I could only sign one decent scout. I searched for some of the scouts I normally sign when I start a new game, namely Glenn Cockerill and Paul Montgomery, but when I try to sign them they aren't interested in negotiating, and the job title (which is greyed out) is set to Assistant Manager.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to get around it? Having a good scouting system is one of the most important parts of the game, so I really need to get it sorted...

You need to go into the databse editor, search for Aston Villa, and chage the "contract type" from "non-contract" manually. Personally, I think that it is shameful that this type of database error has been allowed to exist in the game since its release. I guess SI figures that its up to the user to go through every team, that's in every competition they are using, and clean up their shoddy work by hand.

• Administrators
You need to go into the databse editor, search for Aston Villa, and chage the "contract type" from "non-contract" manually. Personally, I think that it is shameful that this type of database error has been allowed to exist in the game since its release. I guess SI figures that its up to the user to go through every team, that's in every competition they are using, and clean up their shoddy work by hand.

Actually we looked into the issue as soon as it was raised with us and it'll be fixed in the next update - we can't be expected to fix issues we're not aware of.

SI have already released a couple of small patches outside of their usual three patch cycle. I don't know why they wouldn't release a fix right away for fairly significant data issues, affecting several teams, in one of the top leagues in the game. Its not like this is the usual data issue crap where people ar whining that Player X should have Finishing of 19 instead of 16. This is an issue that results in the team not operating correctly.

Archived