The Short Corner - Is it Possible in FM?

I admire the way Barcelona have approached corners in the past. Realising their threat to their opponents goal is greater with the ball on the deck, they play a succesion of short one twos and try work the ball into the box instead of the common aerial attack. (They don't do this all the time I know)

In FM as managers we have the option to select 'short corners'. Our corner taker plays a short pass to the player we have designated 'offer short' option, who in turn plays it straight back to the corner taker who then crosses it in from virtually the same position, therefore resulting in the traditional aerial attack.

Has anyone found a way of 'working the ball into the box' from a corner?

Would you like the option to be able to approach corners in the Barcelona way?

As you already said, not even Barcelona does this all the time. So, you should not expect it to be in the game all the time.

Now, when I tried to do the same thing, somehow managed do replicate it with the following instructions:

1. Short Corners.

2. A player offers short option (let's say AMC).

3. Have a player lurking outside the area (let's say DMC).

In most of the cases, the result is the AMC passing the ball to the DMC, just to receive it back inside the box. Might also help to set "Crosses" to rarely for the AMC.

Interesting. I have tried similar but failed.

With regards to your first point, the reason they don't do it all the time is surely because they are not instructed to by their manager. There may be a time in FM where I am managing a team with poor headerers, jumping etc. but have exceptional passing and off the ball attributes and I wan't them working the ball in everytime. I think we should have this option in the game.

In a similar theme, I would like the option to say - never ever do a short corner, but mix up the other options. I hate short corners with a passion, but do not want to always have to target one area. If I leave it mixed, short corners happen. If I select any other option, only one area is targetted.

In a similar theme, I would like the option to say - never ever do a short corner, but mix up the other options. I hate short corners with a passion, but do not want to always have to target one area. If I leave it mixed, short corners happen. If I select any other option, only one area is targetted.

Thats a fair point, but the short corner option is not really a short corner option as it always (in my case anyway) ends up being a punt into the box from near the corner flag as outlined in my OP

The idea of a fully adjustable set-piece creator is something we all long for but it will need a much stronger AI & ME before it could be implemented, iirc the CM2010 effort was basically an exploit-fest with people creating all manner of unrealistic routines that had the ME falling apart.

I do seem to remember a fairly decent effort way back when on Manchester United in Europe or was it one of the Euro'92 games?

Maybe instead of selecting the types of corners from each side, the options should have a priority. So I could set them to something like this:

Short - Never

Far post - High

Near post - Low

Penalty box - Medium

Then let the player use these priorities in his decision making on where to put the ball on any given corner.

Sort of a prioritized version of Mixed

I'd love a proper set piece creator similar to the one from Championship Manager 2010 or 2011 (I don't remember it now).

Did you spend any time playing with it?

Within the first hour people on this forum had made several set pieces that guaranteed a goal every single time.

No, there isn't. You'd end up with around an average of 6 set piece goals a game if there was.

SI's argument against the set piece creator is simple; until they can find a way for the AI to come up with competitive set pieces, and have a system that isn't massively exploitable, they'll not make one available.

Did you spend any time playing with it?

Within the first hour people on this forum had made several set pieces that guaranteed a goal every single time.

That was in the demo than the defenders score as much as in fm 12... same thing lol but you can't compare fm to cm ... fm is way better!

however 12.1.1 is rubbish can't wait for update.

Archived