Scoring from corners cracked

Right I think I have got corners thing sorted at last.

I'm in my third season now and after 10 games I have six goal from corners.

The set up is easy.

Set corners to 6 yard box.

1) Have your best corner taker set to forward and defualt taker.

2) Then you put your strongest and best header must have good jumping and heading on challange goalkeeper I have alou diarra here and he will normally get around 10 goals a season.

3) Get your second best header to attack near post this player will need to have better pace so he can get away from his maker.

4) Your third best header should be set to attack ball from deep. again he will need good heading ,jumping and pace.

5) The last player in the box should be set to stand on far post. This player needs good finishing and anticipation usually your quick striker.

6) put one player on short option he will need to be a good crosser of the ball. so he can put the ball back in if it is cleared

7) the last attacking player set as out side box. this needs to be some one with good long shots and a good first touch.

8) set all remaining players to stay back

this will leave the area with more space for your attaking players to find.

Hope this helps let me know how you get on

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that this corner routine works very well. In the first game I tried it I scored 2 corners!

This is definitely the best corner routine I've tried. I'd also like to incorperate this into the next version of my tactic that is posted on the forum and credit you for it if that's ok with you.

Thanks the henge icon14.gif

My existing corner setup was not too dissimilar, but I thought I would give your suggestions a whirl. My ratio of getting goals from corners has actually increased further.

I'm fortunately blessed with players who have jumping, heading, pace, accelleration and anticipation, in my current save.

I'm really enjoying the tactics forums of late as there's some good quality discussions at the moment. icon14.gif

despite having good players for each position, I only manage to score about 6 a season. often the corners end up going between the 2 who are at the goal and the rest who are lurking behind...

with all this great feedback I will be reviewing it again and checking the instructions for about a 5th time icon_razz.gif

I do get plenty of corners, so at least that is not a problem.

will also get a better set pieces coach with the new season, could be the inches that are missing.

I have a really good set piece coach but you need to also make sure that your corner taker is up there as well say at least 17 I have van der vaart at present he is 18 for corners I do score less from corners when I have a coorner taker who is not as good around 15 and below

Just to give you some feedback...

I already had a good corner system and was getting plenty of goals. It was'nt too dissimilar to your suggestions, to I made some minor tweeks and having run this corner setup over the course of a season, I can safely say not that is statistically increased my ratio of goals resulting from corner by about a third.

As you pointed out from the offset, having the right players does make a big difference in each of the roles suggested. icon14.gif

ok, new coaches made quite an impact. Also with the AMs being key in the corner routine for me, due to their skills, I rarely adjusted the corner settings, when my winger played in the center, therefor leaving the box half empty.

scored 8 so far about a third through the season, very happy. funnily enough I have scored 4 deciding corner goals in VERY LATE injury time, aka last action of the game

A certain defender by the name of Breno likes this tactic... icon14.gif

He's on 10 goals now from corners, only halfway through the season.

2) Then you put your strongest and best header must have good jumping and heading on challange goalkeeper I have alou diarra here and he will normally get around 10 goals a season.

This is where I utilise Breno (Brazillian centre-back originally bought from Sao Paulo).

A similar corner tactic to mine.

The henge I disagree slightly with 3 and 4 when you say pace I thick it is more to do with acceleration

and anticipation.

When a corner comes in players are fairly stationary so it is not how fast they can go, but how fast they can get to the ball.

Originally posted by Coop:

Anyone have a similar tactic for free kicks?

Just selecting a good free kick taker, let him aim to best header and finding the right balancce ( good headers go forward, fast players with no heading skills stay back) seems to net me at least 15 ifk goals in the league

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by heathxxx:

Thanks the henge icon14.gif

My existing corner setup was not too dissimilar, but I thought I would give your suggestions a whirl. My ratio of getting goals from corners has actually increased further.

I'm fortunately blessed with players who have jumping, heading, pace, accelleration and anticipation, in my current save.

I'm really enjoying the tactics forums of late as there's some good quality discussions at the moment. icon14.gif

So my players need this to score allot from corners?

Great work Henge, corners are almost like penalties now, though my team is still a little weak in certain areas, so i don't score as often, but the annoying thing is, i conceed from corners terribly, but thats another matter all together.

Cheers fella

Originally posted by Oxslow:

The henge I disagree slightly with 3 and 4 when you say pace I thick it is more to do with acceleration

and anticipation.

When a corner comes in players are fairly stationary so it is not how fast they can go, but how fast they can get to the ball.

I believe that bravery and strength are more important. So the boy can fight his way to the ball. icon_smile.gif

James.

Bravery and strenght is important when you challenge for a ball in the air.

I done a test with Inzaghi on in one match. I used the "near post flick on" and the corner taker is set to deliver to near post.

Even when I gave Inzaghi 20 heading and jumping but only 10 bravery 10 strenght he just won 1 out of 6 corner challenges . And this was against an average team with two 16 heading/jumping DC's - but they both had 17 bravery and 17 strenght.

Its easy to see that bravery and strength is vital . Try a quick test like this; set up a tactic where you use a target man and send long balls to him all 90 min. Check this stats after the game and watch how meny ariel challenge he won . Use FMM to change the attributes( high bravery vs low etc etc)

Setup a routine for my spurs team and ive used this as a guide.

My 2 DC's are Samba and woodgate (injurys to king/dawson)

Samba as got better heading/jumping/bravery than woodgate but ive got woodgate to attack GK... he has scored 5goals in 6games so far.

I have Samba to attack nr post, all corners aimed in 6yd box.

very happy with the results but i do think that its unrealistic at times

Originally posted by Jimboola:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxslow:

and anticipation.

I believe that bravery and strength are more important. So the boy can fight his way to the ball. icon_smile.gif

James. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean for the challenge keeper guy. Heading obviously, jumping of course but add bravery and strength rather than pace and anticipation etc.

I have found it to be v.useful.

you are god! christopher samba has now just got his 100th league goal after just 3 and a half season!! you are god. this stopped me using the corner rountine where i put everyone on the back post bar my best finisher (whos at the front) and just roling the ball to him to let him spank it in! thanks :0

Cheers Henge I'll check it out, seems to have provoked great feedback!

Anyone else find that regardless of corner-taking attribute, out-swingers lead to more goals than in-swingers?- because half of my in-swingers seem to sort of go over the bar and straight out, whereas I've scored a fair few goals from my right footer taking corners from the right. (NB: My corner taker is Ryan Taylor on both sides, Corners: 17)

Any ideas people?

Archived