PC to Mac

Macs generally aren't a good idea for FM. There are more issues with the Steam client for Macs for one, and whilst SI do work hard at making sure the game is functioning on a Mac just as it would on a PC, you're introducing another thing that can (and on rare occasions does) go wrong. Besides which, you're paying significantly more for what is ultimately the same machine.

Transferring the saves shouldn't be too hard though.

Thanks gents.

I'm specifically looking at this mac:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Z139FS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1W1A78ENS9A5QY968DXC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

My current PC spec is:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Memory 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Video Card nVidia GeForce GT220 1024MB graphics card

Hard Drive 1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English

Am I likley to see improved FM speeds with the mac?

Macs generally aren't a good idea for FM. There are more issues with the Steam client for Macs for one, and whilst SI do work hard at making sure the game is functioning on a Mac just as it would on a PC, you're introducing another thing that can (and on rare occasions does) go wrong. Besides which, you're paying significantly more for what is ultimately the same machine.

Transferring the saves shouldn't be too hard though.

My personal experience would nullify the above statement for me... the switch to Mac has been nothing but a joy and has been more stable to play on than the PC previously. I would never go back and literally only use mine for internet and FM!!

Thanks for the replys.

I'm a little worried by this thread though:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/282583-Help!-Can-new-imac-play-fm2012-3d-match-action-smoothly-(amd-radeon-hd-6770m-512mb)

Seems there's been problems with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card in the mac.

Anybody know if any of the previous patches have fixed this?

Ever since Apple switched to Intel-AMD-nVIDIA hardware the only difference between a Mac and a PC is the operating system, the limited ability to upgrade the Mac and the higher price of the Mac. Any how well the software has been programmed but that's on an individual case. Any iMac with an M-appended graphics card is not good for gaming, and the Intel Core 2 duo models are too slow, so avoid those and you will be fine. The operating systems are a matter of personal preference, though it has to be said my iMac boots up three times faster than my Vista-run PC, even though the PC has better specs. When it's running games though, it's faster.

I have the 6770m 1gb in my macbook pro and its perfect...

Visitor 13 - I play with all leagues playable for england, scotland, spain, italy, france, netherlands, belgium, portugal, brazil, argentina, usa and a few others im forgetting!

How would you expect the performance of the AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512mb to compare to your card?

with the 512mb graphics card you will only be able to play the game without jittery screen on medium setting, if you play on high its starts playing up, SI are apparently looking into the problem and hopefully when the new patch comes out this problem will get sorted!! fingers crossed anyway!!

with the 512mb graphics card you will only be able to play the game without jittery screen on medium setting, if you play on high its starts playing up, SI are apparently looking into the problem and hopefully when the new patch comes out this problem will get sorted!! fingers crossed anyway!!

Thanks. I normally only play in 2D anyway. I just like the detail for my 3D replays.

Am I likley to see improved FM speeds with the mac?

Your current PC is only slightly slower than the mac you are looking at. It should be faster (im guessing FM runs just as well on mac as it does on windows) but dont expect too much.

If you want to get a Mac - knock yourself out. I don't like the Mac because it only Specs the processor as i5 and doesn't tell you the model number. This tells me nothing about the processor speed, date of issue, threads or cores it has.

It seems a bit expensive for what it is (that link on Amazon).

I found a better all in one computer on Dell.co.uk - with more RAM and better graphics card with more RAM. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html

I think if you're buying a Mac for playing football manager - you're wasting your money. You could spend extra money on a PC and get way better machine than the Mac. Or spend a few hundred less and get the exact same Mac machine.

I play football manager on a PC and I never had any issue at all. My laptop cost me €850 and it has a top of the Range i7 processor, 17 inch monitor, 6gb RAM and a top of the range Graphics Card.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived