Conceding from corners

I had some issue with this, even with taller players. I had a set up that left 1 player forward and 1 on the edge of the area, in an attempt to be more efficient on the break. Wasn't working out, so ditched the edge of area instruction for go back instead. This crowded the goal mouth area giving attacking players less space to attack from deep. Match prep. on defending set pieces should also help over time.

In a 4-2-3-1 I have the 2 DC's marking tall, the 2 FB's marking the posts, the Forward stay forward and the midfielders go back.

Marking small players is a waste of a defender imo, it's better to congest the goalmouth than worry about a player that can't jump or head the ball.

I had some issue with this, even with taller players. I had a set up that left 1 player forward and 1 on the edge of the area, in an attempt to be more efficient on the break. Wasn't working out, so ditched the edge of area instruction for go back instead. This crowded the goal mouth area giving attacking players less space to attack from deep. Match prep. on defending set pieces should also help over time.

In a 4-2-3-1 I have the 2 DC's marking tall, the 2 FB's marking the posts, the Forward stay forward and the midfielders go back.

Marking small players is a waste of a defender imo, it's better to congest the goalmouth than worry about a player that can't jump or head the ball.

Going to give your advice a go. Will let you know how it goes ;)

My theory is that the near post is the most dangerous area so I put my DMC (or biggest MC) on the near post. DCs mark tall, Fullbacks man marking, because that's what they're good at. Tall striker on the far post. Fast striker edge of area and everyone else go back.

I score more goals from counter-attacks than I concede.

I think the key is to have only one player set to Go Back and that should be a strong guy with high anticipation and bravery etc. If everyone else is set to mark someone, it is very often he who pays attention to the ball and heads it away. More than that on Go Back and you do crowd that area yes, but I find that they are often just standing there. Also, you will have better counter-attacks with one guy set to Edge of Area and none up front, than if you leave players up front. And they will leave 2-3 players back there anyway, so that defensive corner duty is completely wasted.

I had the same problem on a save a couple of months ago and then I realised that my first choice eleven was tiny. Only had two big centre backs and had neglected the rest of the teams heading ability. A stupid mistake to make and now my starting 11 will normally have at least 4 players who are decent in the air. I have a huge forward and he marks a tall player along with centre backs and is a beast.

Use your full backs to man mark and put wingers or midfielders with poor defending attributes on the posts instead, also try to have at least one tall(or at least not short) full back and one of the defensive midfielders as well.

Had a brainwave before I'd even read this and tried exactly that. Been much more solid since. :thup:

Archived