Opponents Getting Their Balls Deep Inside My Box

How can I defend against this? Playing in the BSP I am finding my opponents to be constantly pumping balls into my box and getting lots of joy from it. My keeper just can't seem to handle it. Is anyone else experiencing problems with this type of strategy in the lower leagues? I have my defence very tight but they are still finding gaping holes to take advantage of whenever they want to.

If your keeper's aerial ability is poor and your defence are short and not/or very good in the air, it's to be expected. Moreover, keeping your defence too tight means you're practically inviting them to pump the ball into your box as they can't get through any other way which is not something you should encourage if your defensive kernel is soft and far from unyielding.

Play/Buy some imposing DCs and get harder-working wingers who can deny the opposition the space to cross the ball from deep.

It is a common tactic in lower leagues, and effective. It is one I use myself until I can get better players in. If your keeper can't handle it, then getting in a better keeper is the quickest solution, if this really is how most chances against you happen, then one with good aerial ability and command of box is crucial. Centre backs with good jumping and positioning as well.

I would suggest using the analysis pages to see where the assists mostly come from, and setting your players in that are to closing down frequently as well

If your back four are prone to presenting the opposition with gaping holes it's only natural that they are going to take advantage of it at every given opportunity. Sounds like you've been a little unlucky though and been exploited by some particularly ruthless "Inside Forwards" who, as Alan Pardew would say, are "absolutely raping" you.

The last thing you need is opponents sticking balls into the corridoor of uncertainty - I would suggest buying a huge target man to counter their threat, as you're probably lacking in the size department. When someone pulls a gun out on you, the best strategy is for you to pull out a bigger one.

The last thing you need is opponents sticking balls into the corridoor of uncertainty - I would suggest buying a huge target man to counter their threat, as you're probably lacking in the size department. When someone pulls a gun out on you, the best strategy is for you to pull out a bigger one.

Gaining in size would most likely increase the number of spectators too. Even those who don't like football would come.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have noticed that having two CB's with excellent heading skills seems to help. It's still however pretty painful to watch these balls pumped into my box because I'm paranoid they will keep scoring. I guess the only thing I can do is force my opponents to shoot from distance.

How can I defend against this? Playing in the BSP I am finding my opponents to be constantly pumping balls into my box and getting lots of joy from it. My keeper just can't seem to handle it. Is anyone else experiencing problems with this type of strategy in the lower leagues? I have my defence very tight but they are still finding gaping holes to take advantage of whenever they want to.

*childish giggle*

Thanks for the tips guys. I have noticed that having two CB's with excellent heading skills seems to help. It's still however pretty painful to watch these balls pumped into my box because I'm paranoid they will keep scoring. I guess the only thing I can do is force my opponents to shoot from distance.

I'm not taking the mick, honest. It's just that, if you're serious, your choice of wording is wonderful. :D

Good point mate, I definitely am lacking in the size department but I try to compensate with a high work rate, good concentration and excellent timing. That being said, the amount of balls penetrating my defence is certainly too many. It seems to create a sense of uncertainty with my Goalkeeper who doesn't know whether to come or not. Any more advice would be great guys. He has just come back from a sprained wrist so I can understand why my 'keeper may be slightly reluctant to command his area and perhaps has lost confidence in his own ball handling.

Good point mate, I definitely am lacking in the size department but I try to compensate with a high work rate, good concentration and excellent timing. That being said, the amount of balls penetrating my defence is certainly too many. It seems to create a sense of uncertainty with my Goalkeeper who doesn't know whether to come or not. Any more advice would be great guys. He has just come back from a sprained wrist so I can understand why my 'keeper may be slightly reluctant to command his area and perhaps has lost confidence in his own ball handling.

It might be worthwile trying a new strategy with unorthodox positions and you could also try to go in rougher so that you finish them off when they're tired. Maybe it's a case of your defence being too spread out? If it's up against two men with great skills you'll require a mixture of teamwork, concentration and determination to tighten up the gaping holes. Don't despair, I'm sure you'll come out on top.

I definitely am lacking in the size department but I try to compensate with a high work rate, good concentration and excellent timing.

Off-topic: Seriously dude ;) ... they just keep coming. Are you sure this is not intentional? *lol*

It might be worthwile trying a new strategy with unorthodox positions and you could also try to go in rougher so that you finish them off when they're tired.

Now even the answers take this route ;)

It seems to create a sense of uncertainty with my Goalkeeper who doesn't know whether to come or not.

It's always a problem when the goalie comes too early, or even not at all. Perhaps he needs a bit of extra training on his rushing out attribute so he can come just at the right time and grab those loose balls? Maybe he needs a more experienced player in front of him to help him out a bit?

Sorry :) ... seems the thread has degenerated as the posts are thick with (naughty) innuendoes, like the ones quoted, or your thread title. If english is not your main language, this might be hard to notice. But it is quite funny.

Sadly I have little actual advice to give on the tactical side. But if you are vunerable to crosses into the box, then playing a tight formation where you leave the wing lots of space to cross, might not be such a good idea. You will want to keep the opposition wingers from crossing the ball. But I might be reading your original post wrong.

Is it crosses or through balls that is giving you problems?

It's always a problem when the goalie comes too early, or even not at all. Perhaps he needs a bit of extra training on his rushing out attribute so he can come just at the right time and grab those loose balls? Maybe he needs a more experienced player in front of him to help him out a bit?

Yeah fair point man. You sound like you know a little bit about this. Have you ever had a 'keeper that needed a helping hand with coming at the right time?

Sorry :) ... seems the thread has degenerated as the posts are thick with (naughty) innuendoes, like the ones quoted, or your thread title. If english is not your main language, this might be hard to notice. But it is quite funny.

Sadly I have little actual advice to give on the tactical side. But if you are vunerable to crosses into the box, then playing a tight formation where you leave the wing lots of space to cross, might not be such a good idea. You will want to keep the opposition wingers from crossing the ball. But I might be reading your original post wrong.

Is it crosses or through balls that is giving you problems?

Am I missing something here then? No need for apologies my friend. Thanks for the advice about playing wider to stop crosses. It's mainly balls coming from wide angles that are hurting my fragile back line.

Yeah fair point man. You sound like you know a little bit about this. Have you ever had a 'keeper that needed a helping hand with coming at the right time?

I usually throw them in at a young age, so they tend to make quite a few mistakes as expected. As they get older and more experienced they seem to get much better with their timing. Just giving them time and opportunities to build up their confidence usually does the trick.

Am I missing something here then? No need for apologies my friend. Thanks for the advice about playing wider to stop crosses. It's mainly balls coming from wide angles that are hurting my fragile back line.

If they go between your back line and the goalie, there might be too much space, and you can consider lowering the defensive line a bit .. or as others have pointed out, get a better goalie. Even as a BSP side, there are some respectable goalies available on Free or Loans :)

Surely this is a joke right?

I find that some of my players start dribbling and then shoot early, well before they they get into the box. This is a very messy and frustrating situation to be in. I just wish they would calm down a bit and take their time.

Shout at them to work the ball into the opposition box. Also, increasing the time wasted on the grass might calm them down a bit.

Nice choice of words there pal :lol:

It sounds as though you might be in a sticky situation due to your keeper coming over balls that your defence are unable to handle. Your defence might be better if they were able to keep a good head by being able to plug big holes at the back and sucking in the long balls. Your current defence might be camping too much.

Your midfield could profit from the defensive knock downs by being able to stroke balls between themselves before unleashing a penetrating ball through the opposition backline.

All of the above could be a masterstroke ;)

PS If all else fails, try going down and trying Staines.

You may also want to deploy a sweeper. When your backline is struggling to contain an opposition surge it would help to have someone there to mop up the mess. It's difficult to swallow, but in my experience the backline isn't always strong enough to contain whats coming. Whilst you'll probably have wave after wave of attack flooding towards you, you don't have to bend over and take it. Lap it all up and choose the right moment to launch a counter attack, the opposition rearguard won't know whats hit it.

Archived