The guilt...

I am a 22 year old student and I spend a hell of a lot of my time playing football manager. There are times when I feel guilty for spending so much of my time on it. I don't go out often and I spend most of my time reading, playing football manager, doing a bit of writing and sitting around philosophising with my friend. Now I'm not saying that I blame football manager for my reclusiveness, on the contrary; I would be a recluse anyway, I dont want to take part in all the false posturing or the 'hey lets party' attitude so I devote my time to expanding my mind. I did more than enough 'partying' from a very early age to get all that I could from it (which wasnt very much at all).

But even having said all of this, I still get bouts of guilt when I find myself sitting up late at night, like a zombie, just hitting continue to progress to the next season. I feel silly writing this but I sometimes feel like I'm just killing time, like I could be doing something better. Do you think this is rational? Does anybody else feel like this? Am I worrying too much - should I just allow myself to enjoy an entertaining game?

god damn it man it annoys me when people are like "Ohh go to college since when your 40 you will be working at asda" to be honest most people i know who went to college to do "Something better with there time" Now work in retail jobs..... moral of the story is DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY life is short and you shouldn't be feeling guilty for being happy. :p

Thankyou Shaman, I couldnt agree more. I just need to be reminded at times. Uni has been disheartening experience for me, all it is is job training, instead of the immersive quest for knowledge and understanding that any serious educational institution should be. I've realised that all I need is a good library card and an internet connection. There is so much expectation on people to 'get a job' 'contribute to society' even just to LOOK as if you are doing something. When I tell people I'm a student they register that the same as If I told them I had a job - an acceptance that I am doing something worthwhile, and they'd say "well done". But if I then told them that this class or job meant nothing to me, what would they say then? They'd probably say, "Oh it'll be alright". Because looking as if you are busy seems to please people. Weird. Anyway, I'm a great believer in "It's not what you do, it's how you do it." It kills me to see old friends sell away the best years of their lives just to feel as if they are part of the system. Although if you were to ask them why they do it they probably wouldnt be able to tell you anything more than -"It's just what you do isn't it?". I hope this isn't too heavy for a fan forum.

The best thread subject I've ever seen.. thank you for sharing your feelings so honestly.. In my point of view I'd prefer to have time and money enough to feel not guilty about playing football manager like a job to do.. How ever harsh reality hits our face relentlessly as we get older, for me i suddenly realise that i don't have any profficiency about nothing ,but play FM.. I hate telling that but its all about the time and money you have.. I always dreamed that we would earn some real wage, and get the relief of yes I'm doing the job of my dreams, I enjoy and earn my life by playing FM, the only thing i can master..

Tinkerman thats the thing though there is alot of young people who bust there ass at college and uni and get nowhere further than a kid that dropped out at 16 with no education. I honestly live with the thought of "I am 20 and how long left do i have here like 40-50 years at most" Well got to say spending my life thinking about work then leaving for my holidays and spending more time worrying about a back log in my work is not something that sounds enjoyable :p i was to enjoy the time i have if young people can go and spend all there time and money on drink and clubbing then why should i feel guilty for playing football manager on your spare time :) it's alot cheaper than ALOT of hobbies and keeps you unharmed from the general public on friday nights haha :)

Don't worry, i'm a 21 year old student. I'm not a 'party' student, but I do like going out occasionally. My girlfriend (Who I live with) hates me playing FM anyway. However, I have noticed that since ive started playing FM my grades from my uni modules have increased significantly.

Plus, i'm saving a fortune not going out! :D

Shaman - I agree. The sad thing is most people will just sell themselves into financial slavery, looking forward oh so much to that one holiday a year. I read an article on the guardian recently, a nurse compiled a list of the most recurring wishes of her dying patients. Number 1 was- "I wish I never worked so hard".

Oh I'm not saying for one minute that we dont need money. What I do hate to see though is people jumping head first into the cycle of work-spend-work-spend, even if they dont need to. Example, my friend works 12 hours hard labour every day, he still lives with his mum and shows no signs of leaving. He spends his money on nothing more than the bookies, and keeping his car on the road, which he uses for nothing more than driving to the bookies. Now, he doesnt need that money, he has no aims, no ambitions. So why does he do it? Because from as soon as he started school, like everyone else, he had it drilled into him that that is how it goes. Quite simply - thats how life works. What no-one has ever said to him is, "Go out, try things, take a chance, get lost and find yourself again, see what you like, see what you dont like, then decide how you want to spend the rest of your life". Now, if someone genuinely WANTS to work all their days so they can get a big house and car and a mortgage and all of the crippling financial responsibilities that comes with it, and they are prepared to work every day for the rest of their life in return for their little patch, then thats fine. All im saying is, most people dont put that much thought into it, they just assume thats how life is and go along, unthinking.

OK, as someone in their late 20's who has been there:

I had a similar sort of existential crisis when I was 22 and ultimately decided to put off my postgraduate education to "explore other options." It was both the best and worst decision I ever made. Worst because you quickly find out that the "System" (or whatever you want to call it) doesn't care about you and is perfectly happy to see you end up in a slum working 18 hours a day just to put food on the table. Best because it motivated me to go back and work that much harder to get to a point where I could support a comfortable lifestyle in which I don't feel guilty about sitting down and playing FM for a few hours. If anything, I feel incredibly privileged to have that luxury.

Life for the vast majority of us isn't glamorous or idealistic. Ultimately, unless you're already independently wealthy, you have to find work to survive and the chances are that you won't particularly enjoy it. Uni is one of the few opportunities that non-wealthy people have to actually choose what kind of work they'll do and how much they'll likely be rewarded for their efforts. Many people squander that opportunity on parties or investing all their efforts in courses that lead nowhere except for a very talented minority (for example, literature, philosophy, etc.). The people who don't aren't deluded. They're realistic. University ends and, for most of us, life afterwards is unforgiving. Prepare.

Well I have to say this thread is something I thought I would never see. I too am a university student and I too play alot of football manager. I think to myself that I play too much alot of the time but yet I continue to play. The reason for this? I think if I can play this much and still get a good degree then surly it is better to now while you can and enjoy it than wait until your university degree is finished and your lumped with a job and no time to play at all.

If i waited till I had a job and then couldn't play just as I had worried about not doing enough work and instead wasted my time going out partying then thats just silly. I am sure everyone who is going out all the time to parties may have a "fun time" but only while their out, spending money that they don't have. When all I have to do is spend £30 a year to play a game that will give me the personal happieness that they feel while they are out, but at the same time a sense of achievment for doing something like winning a title after 8 seasons or beating your closest rival to the league. And at the same time you can wake up in the morning with a fresh head instead of hung over, and then when you have woken up you can do your work, whereas going out partying and "living like a university student" you can't do this thing.

This year I am studying away from home in Germany, and Football manager has been a saviour, there is times where I am sat in my room, i don't have anyone to talk to as everyone here speaks German and I don't really, so the only thing that stops me from going insane is football manager. I talk to a friend back home who thinks I am stupid for not making friends and just palying all day, but thats just not the case, i have made friends and the only reason I seem to play all day is I have alot of free time, so much of a crime? I think not.

Thankyou for contributing 'Hand'. Believe me when I say I've often wondered if this is just another phase. I dont doubt that it is all uphill from here, and I'm certain that potential employers will think alot of the piece of paper you get from uni that says 'this person is employable', even if I dont. And being able to actually choose what you want to do is of course a huge privelege. I wont give up the dream however, until it is well and truly crushed in front of my eyes. And to be honest, I don't doubt it will happen.

I am 55 years old and worked hard all my life. However I have always enjoyed the jobs I have done and have been very lucky in that respect because it is easy to work hard at something you like doing. Generally if you have a positive outlook on life then you will find that things will generally turn out for the best. I never really planned my career but I fell into opportunities that came along and generally when things went bad it was for the right reasons because something better would come along.

Stay positive and just enjoy each day as it comes along and what it brings with it and never feel guilty about the pleasures you take if it harms nobody.

Even now I spend far too much time playing FM but I have just won Serie C2/B, I have my own business and a grown up family and nice home so life is still great so don't beat yourself up because you can't change it and if you stay positive all will be fine....trust me I'm a Football Manager.....just like you!

Now I am not as old as Seagullfan (He's got a baker's dozen on me) but I too have a full-time job that pays well, a wife, a teenage child, have friends and a social life, but yet I find myself up till 1 or 2 am just waiting to see if I that promising central midfielder will sign for me, or trying to right the cart that's gone off the rails. If you like FM, you like it, and I would say as long as you are taking care of business in the other areas of life, no worries about spending a little too much time on FM. Appreciate the post! I get the guilt too now and then :)

I am a 22 year old student and I spend a hell of a lot of my time playing football manager. There are times when I feel guilty for spending so much of my time on it. I don't go out often and I spend most of my time reading, playing football manager, doing a bit of writing and sitting around philosophising with my friend. Now I'm not saying that I blame football manager for my reclusiveness, on the contrary; I would be a recluse anyway, I dont want to take part in all the false posturing or the 'hey lets party' attitude so I devote my time to expanding my mind. I did more than enough 'partying' from a very early age to get all that I could from it (which wasnt very much at all).

But even having said all of this, I still get bouts of guilt when I find myself sitting up late at night, like a zombie, just hitting continue to progress to the next season. I feel silly writing this but I sometimes feel like I'm just killing time, like I could be doing something better. Do you think this is rational? Does anybody else feel like this? Am I worrying too much - should I just allow myself to enjoy an entertaining game?

Do whatever makes you happy. That's the only advice I can give. :)

Now I am not as old as Seagullfan (He's got a baker's dozen on me) but I too have a full-time job that pays well, a wife, a teenage child, have friends and a social life, but yet I find myself up till 1 or 2 am just waiting to see if I that promising central midfielder will sign for me, or trying to right the cart that's gone off the rails. If you like FM, you like it, and I would say as long as you are taking care of business in the other areas of life, no worries about spending a little too much time on FM. Appreciate the post! I get the guilt too now and then :)[/quote

The young uns won't understand the bakers dozen reference!!!!

my story's a bit in reverse.... i started fulltime work at the earliest possible opportunity.. at 15, while still doing my education.. i skipped out of going to uni as i had recently had a child with my the long term girlfriend so carried on working , I was at this point in retail ironically , in management.. so bringing home enough money.

fast forward a few years, i was 24 and the relationship broke down and i decided enough was enough, id try something different, quit my job and went to uni.

now ive finished that and am still not sure what i want to do with myself...

moral of my long winded story is that i will happily spend hours away at my laptop screen playing fm because i know full well, there is in fact , plenty of time in life to do everything you might want and its never too late to change your midn and take a fully different direction.

Do what makes you happy and explore new idea's and activities.. and in your own time. you'll eventually find something that makes you passionate do to in life, just enjoy yourself while you can really :)

the best quote i heard was from Billy Connolly... he said ' the best and most interesting people i know, still don't know what they want to do at 40' .... these are the people who have spent their time exploring the world, doing new things, expanding their minds and not worrying about the pressure of the daily grind.

My wife just had a baby, now he needs feeding every night at about 10.30, and i do that feed so effectively for a few months at least my social life is on hold, but I quite enjoy doing what i didn't have time to do before, spending a couple of hours playing FM until it's time to pick the baby up for a feed if my wife decides to get an early night. Sometimes because my sleep pattern is a bit out of whack, I find myself waking at 3am for an hour of FM. It's all very surreal, newborn parenting but I find that FM makes a massive difference towards relaxing me in my downtime. If it makes you happy it makes you happy. There are some days though I'd love to sit around in my underpants playing FM like in days of yore. I won't deny that!

I think it's ok to spend time playing FM as long as you have goals and ambitions in real life too. I find that having ambition and goals in FM ironically make me more goal oriented in life, as I look forward to things and achieving what i set out to do.

There are some days though I'd love to sit around in my underpants playing FM like in days of yore. I won't deny that!.

I'm agreeing with this! I have a wife, no children as yet (trying!) and I work a lot, but I like to use FM as a relaxing aid and also to take my mind off whatever stresses and strains are on it.

enhanced-buzz-23131-1316197032-11.jpg

Also works if you substitute the word 'fiction' for FM.

The OP is a man after my own heart. Nothing better than books and FM. :D

My answer would be to allow yourself to enjoy the game but also to make time for other things in your life that give you pleasure. People waste time on all kinds of superficial nonsense like reality TV shows, celebrity magazines, drinking large quantities of alcohol in expensive pubs and nightclubs, and so on. Where is the harm in a little pleasurable escapism? Enjoy living in a fantasy world now and then and don't feel any guilt about it whatsoever! :)

I'd say that while FM is an escape from reality, it is clear that there's nothing real about reality anyway. Most people work 1/3 and sleep 1/3 of their lives, but when they die there are no signs left of that work, perhaps apart from genes being passed down the line to continue the cycle. Yes FM is a meaningless activity because that feeling of achievement is an illusion created by your own mind, but it is not more meaningless than the "achievement" of the Western materialistic lifestyle, which is what many posters in this thread have already unmasked as an illusion too.

Life is neither winning make-believe games nor achieving material wealth. It is learning. We don't know what we're supposed to learn, though, so the whole thing's a shot in the dark.

Is it a waste of time if you enjoy doing it?

If it is stopping you doing something like finding a new job when unemployed, and losing your house as you can't play the mortgage - yes.

Not too far from my current situation, there have been days where I have said, must apply for that job/look for new jobs, and the next day after all day on FM, I realise I have missed the deadline to apply.

Like everything, you need to find a balance. Some FM can never (very rarely at any rate) be a bad thing if you enjoy it, but if it becomes an addiction or a distraction stopping you from doing more important things, then yes it can be a waste.

Yes FM is a meaningless activity because that feeling of achievement is an illusion created by your own mind, but it is not more meaningless than the "achievement" of the Western materialistic lifestyle, which is what many posters in this thread have already unmasked as an illusion too.

I wouldn't say it's an illusion for the same reason I wouldn't say the enjoyment of a good beer is an illusion. Yes, these value properties are not mind-independent, but that does not mean they lack reality. A person's practical perception of the universe in terms of human needs and values is just one mode of viewing reality. The perception of reality in terms of objective scientific constructs like atoms and molecules is another. Both are just as real as the other as they are both, ultimately, just means of organizing human perception for various purposes (respectively, living an enjoyable life, understanding physical properties). The very essence of the human mind is the activity of applying context, meaning and structure to the chaotic, disorganized data taken in by our perceptual faculties. That perception is obviously limited, but in both cases, it is telling us something about the universe, what we are and how we relate to it.

The "illusion" emerges when you make the assumption that these things (the enjoyment of a good beer, the pride and sense of security in having a large bank account) have a value that transcends yourself and others.

Now, regarding more important matters: where is the 12.2 patch?!?!

I wouldn't say it's an illusion for the same reason I wouldn't say the enjoyment of a good beer is an illusion. Yes, these value properties are not mind-independent, but that does not mean they lack reality. A person's practical perception of the universe in terms of human needs and values is just one mode of viewing reality. The perception of reality in terms of objective scientific constructs like atoms and molecules is another. Both are just as real as the other as they are both, ultimately, just means of organizing human perception for various purposes (respectively, living an enjoyable life, understanding physical properties). That perception is obviously limited, but in both cases, it is telling us something about the universe, what we are and how we relate it.

The "illusion" emerges when you make the assumption that these things (the enjoyment of a good beer, the pride and sense of security in having a large bank account) have a value that transcends yourself and others.

Now, regarding more important matters: where is the 12.2 patch?!?!

Yes so we agree that there is no such thing as an objective reality, wherein lies the truthfulness of life as a learning experience and nothing else. As such, spending your whole life playing FM (or any other game) is no more or less meaningful or meaningless than spending your whole life moving papers from one abstract construct to another, or having large (abstract) numbers on another abstract construction showing that you have achieved a lot of culturally relativistic stuff...

I know what you mean, I'm pretty much not a social person myself BUT don't mix your being a recluse with your using all those time playing FM. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm just saying don't use your reclusiveness as an excuse to play even more FM :p. Being a recluse is fine, not everyone meant to be social butterfly but that doesn't mean you should spend all your time playing this game either, there are better thing that you can do out there, more productive thing that is good for you :p. FM is a great game, but at the end of the day it's just a game. When you finished playing this game you'll remember of the good time pretending to be a club manager, how far you take the club in this small fantasy land... but that is all, a memory of time used not necessarily for your own good. Play the game for fun in moderation but remember to live your life too :). Now if I can only take my own advice... xD

Great thread.

When I was a student at Stirling University, I once spent a Xmas Holiday period stuck on my own, cause I was pretty much skint. I had an old battered PC with the 2002 version of FM on it, which would have been one of the Championship Manager series, if I'm remembering right, and that pretty much kept me sane for what otherwise would have been a pretty desperate, awful and lonely time. That game saved me from going off my nut.

The fact is, the game is keeping you out of the pub. It's keeping you from sitting on the edge of a bridge. It's keeping you from the perils of alcohol. And you are not unhealthily wrapped up in it, because you are worrying about it.

During my first year at Uni, the year of the Awful Christmas, there was an article that appeared in Brig, the student newspaper, about a guy who blamed Football Manager for ruining his life. He said it had kept him from classes, made studying impossible and destroyed his relationship with his girlfriend. He had dropped out of Uni and was writing the article two years later, having come back to have another crack, and he was open and honest about how tough it was the first time round. By the time he wrote the article he'd gotten the game back in perspective, and was a casual player again, as most of us are. Which you are yourself in a sense.

Don't let these things worry you. I've had my own little crisis of identity, and you get past these things. Maybe you used the wrong word when you said "guilty", because you are not hurting anyone or getting someone into trouble. The only person who appears to be affected by your FM playing is you. Say rather that you're concerned about yourself and what you're doing ... but mate, that's nothing either unusual or dangerous. It happens to us all. Don't let things get you down.

You come across as an intelligent guy, and you aren't one of those people who bottles it all up. I'd say you're on the right road.

I'm 47 and have playing since it all first came out on the Amiga :D

Life is all about balance and enjoyment. Both my parents died young of cancer and always thought and planned for a retirement they never got to enjoy, so make sure you enjoy your time now

Priorities change as you get older but the need for enjyment doesn't. You have plenty of years to be a grown-up, enjoy your youth. However at your age as well as playing games i was also playing a lot of footy, footy training and going out with friends at pubs and clubs on weekends. What better a way to save money during the week playing FM for enjoying at the weekend!

There is a thread somewhere which is very funny about what has happened to people when playing the game a few examples:

1 guy got divorced

1 guy split up with a girl friend then found another into FM perfect match

1 guy got to a cup final and dressed up in a suit and didn't kick off the match until 3pm on a saturday

1 guy only left his PC for food and a dump and even when on the pan was giving a post match interview in his head

1 guy (me) when we could get our names on the sleeves off the PC game pretended to his kids, family and friends it was his game and this is the job he did

1 guy celebrated a match win at 4 am in the morning so loud the neighbours started banging on the walls

1 guy was told by his missus to hurry up stairs for a different kind of match action but git so carried away with just 1 more match found upstairs later asleep in her sexy kit...then admitted he was glad he played the extra FM

I'm still a big kid at heart and can have something incommon with my kids also playing and chatting about their games. I think its my other half he gets left out on this occassions wondering what we are on about

Carry on but remember there is a world outside your room that also needs some exploring that you'll also enjoy. Its all just a balance and you'll find what fits you

:)

I'm afraid the plot which is negltected is this: Choosing what you will do on your freetime is another case here..The point i wanted to highlight was some people ( i think the vast majority.. those who have even been outside of this forum, outside of FM included) have to work so much to earn even a plate of food, and the freetime left is so limited that playing FM 2 hours a day is so luxary thing to do.. Its the case of surviving i mean.. Its not the case of comparison of doing other social or consupmtion based activites instead of playing FM..

We are sitting on our seats, trying to sophisticate on our warm rooms, with our stomach satieted.. If you are hungry, and still choose to play FM instead of looking for jobs to survive, than the enjoyment mission which the most people had supported on this thread would fail, and cost your life..

For my lifestory, I played too much time FM that i realise I can't master and enjoy anything other than that.. The money i need to survive, absorbs all my free time and energy to play..The frustration is this " I found my self unhappy whatever work i do because all my background life is about playing FM, definetely the only thing i can expertise with joy,

but i can not earn my life with that masterpiece and joy.. so sometimes regret is what i feel.. if i could spend more time on other things may be i could discover somethingelse to master, to enjoy, and earn my life at the sametime so that playing FM on my free time wouldn't be such a luxary choice for me.."

"Life doesn't pay back the time and effort you put in to FM..and the Joy reward means nothing if you find your self like a fish agonizing out of water, when facing with the difficulties of life.."

It's a normal feeling, but it isn't rational.

I reckon your four leisure activities are the greatest leisure activities in the world.

I'm a college student, I watch my Dad work 60 hours a week and my mum 9-5 to put food on the table for me and my two brothers and for us to go to uni. I work hard(ish) at college because I don't wanna have to work on a Saturday morning just so I can go and watch my team play later. Does my Dad grumble? Yeah sure, jokingly as he tells me to get my hair cut and get a job. But I'd say one of his greatest pleasures in life is sitting in his conservatory on a sunday night after a few glasses of wine and listening to songs of his youth. Then Monday comes and the cycle starts again, another week in a brilliant man's life. Simple pleasures for him keep him going so that one day he can finally retire and put his feet up for good. He's happy, what more does he want out of life?

Fortunately for me, I found a little game called football manager. I bizzarely get stressed because I have a coursework assignment in a couple of days, in the grand scheme of things it aint even worth a wasted second's worry. What I am trying to say is that everybody leads different lives, I get those guilt trips too when I see how many hours I have clocked up this week. But a couple of seconds later I shrug it off as I see my Berwick Town team claim the Division 3 title (had to slip it in sorry!) . I'll go to uni, and from hearing my brothers' experiences I can't wait. But I will still play fm just as much, because I want to. Nuff said

Archived