Problem with Steam

I don't know if there is a proper place for this sort of thing but I have a problem with Steam. When I try to start FM I keep getting a message saying that I cannot connect to Steam and suggests that either the problem is my internet connection or the Steam network, I know it isn't my internet and no one else is reporting problems with Steam so does anyone have any ideas? I already asked Steams support and haven't had a reply.

In addition I don't know what Steam even is or why I have to use it, I have the game on disc physically here and I can't play it because of no Steam connection? This seems somewhat ridiculous.

Hi Matt,

If you mean the Offline Mode instructions then I can't follow them because it won't login to Steam to start with, it just says problem with my internet or it isn't configured for Steam, neither of which are possible. The only options are retry which just repeats it or start offline which just fails again and says problem with my internet or with the Steam network, again neither seem possible, that is all it does.

Thanks for helping.

Has it worked before or is this the first install on the computer? Have you added any new programs to your computer recently? If so there could be software conflicts especially if it was security program. Are you able to get to steams website in a browser? Try running a virus scan / spyware scan. Maybe your computer picked something up. Lastly try completely uninstalling steam and re-installing. If your internet is working fine then more than likely there is something going on locally on your PC.

Archived