On the issue of regens...

I am having a bit of an issue with regens at the moment...

All the highly rated regens who I get reports on have great stats in most departments but EVERY LAST ONE has one thing wrong with them that completely negates any point in buying them. Ill give you three as an example -

15 year old defensive midfielder - cant tackle and wont get into rough challenges. What use is he as a DM then?

16 year old Striker - Absolutely no natural fitness - completely lethargic

16 year old attacking midfielder - has a 6 for pace. A 6. I could scarcely believe it.

What I wonder is, if these players have quite high PA's, is it possible from that age to train them to fix these problems? Certainly, I dont believe there is any fixing natural fitness. I genuinely have not seen a regen who does not have a deal breaking problem. Screenies can be provided if required.

I think newgens should come through with no 'natural' positions attached to them but maybe a 'preferred' position / role. Then either you or your ass man (auto) could "train" them in into the positions that suit them most in the first couple of years in the Under 19's. Obviously GK's would have to be already sourced but it would cut down on the abundance of exceedingly slow wingers with great tackling stats.

I am having a bit of an issue with regens at the moment...

All the highly rated regens who I get reports on have great stats in most departments but EVERY LAST ONE has one thing wrong with them that completely negates any point in buying them. Ill give you three as an example -

15 year old defensive midfielder - cant tackle and wont get into rough challenges. What use is he as a DM then?

16 year old Striker - Absolutely no natural fitness - completely lethargic

16 year old attacking midfielder - has a 6 for pace. A 6. I could scarcely believe it.

What I wonder is, if these players have quite high PA's, is it possible from that age to train them to fix these problems? Certainly, I dont believe there is any fixing natural fitness. I genuinely have not seen a regen who does not have a deal breaking problem. Screenies can be provided if required.

If they have a big enough PA you could retrain the DM to play at CM obviously I am not sure as I have not seen his other attributes. With the right training the AMC could improve his pace by 4-5 points not every AMC is super quick. You might have to just give up on the striker though. There are always going to be newgens with big faults but I think FM12 does a better job than other FM's, if anything on my save there are too many quality newgen strikers and midfielders.

Bravery and aggression are among those attributes that improves very little. Natural Fitness improves a bit, maybe 3-4 points during a career. A rule of thumb I use is to mentally add 5 points to all the physical attributes, 4 to technical and 3 to mental. Of course they can improve more than that but I won't gamble on it... For one I think mental attributes continue to develop after 23 years, so that's why they are so slow.

Physical attributes are the easiest to improve in my experience, so finding players who have good technical and mental attributes but poor physique is my M.O

I tend to go for well-balanced youngsters rather than those with great strengths - all they need in any given attribute (save Pace and Determination)...

The DM who hates tackling can play as a deep-lying playmaker. Pirlo's not a big tackler, for instance, but can play DM.

Natural fitness doesn't stop a ST. He'll not be able to play every game, sure, but he'll still do his job when on the pitch. I've had some great players with awful natural fitness in the past. I doubt (fat) Ronaldo ever had much natural fitness, but you wouldm't complain if your regen turned out like that.

The attacking midfielder can still be a trequartista without needing to run, if his anticipation and ball control get high enough.

You also have to remember that 15/16 year olds improve drastically over the next 5 years. Just because something's a problem now doesn't mean it will be - especially now that you can target individual attributes for improvement. Mental stats take longer to fix, but physical and technical deficiencies, if they're not too many of them, are no problem at all really.

Archived