Rooney - Wants a new challenge

Hello,

I am Man Utd in July 2013 and Rooney wants a new challenge. Now this happened last summer, I ignored it and it eventually went away...

Now it has come up again. How have people handled this? I imagine it happens in most peoples Man Utd saves...

Is there anyway to truly address it or shall I reluctantly sell up....

Cheers

I tend to say something along the lines of 'i want the club to grow and you to be a part of it' then ask if he knows of any player to improve the first team then offer new contract.

Normally works for year or two. If not say you will sell at end of season and if you win a few trophies he may well stay.

He said the same to me, 3 years in a row. Was happy enough winning everything under the sun after that third year, apparently! As above, just told him I want the club to grow.

I'm now in the year 2018 and have just sold Rooney for £24m (not as much as I he was worth, still). Due to various clauses put into his contract, he was on £300k a week. With his contract running out at the end of the next season, he wanted £400k a week - plus some obscene appearance/goal fees, which I was not at all prepared to pay for a player who would be 33 soon. The fans weren't happy - still aren't - but he's not had anywhere near as much success at his new club, and we've plenty of striking options.

Quite enjoying having a fun-filled game with United, rather than my usual struggles with non-successful clubs!

I have this with 2-3 players, If you want to keep him just say you want him to be a part of the club, he will probably say he does not care or will accept it, if he says the first, then be more strict and tell him to respect your decision.

small chance he won't back down as it is rooney, but meh :p

Archived