Finances from cup runs?

I currently manage Worcester City (hometown) in the BSN, I had a great first half of the season, in February at the moment and somehow managed to get into the F.A Cup 4th round, yes the 4TH ROUND crazy i know. I faced a couple of minnows in the qualifiers, but in the first round proper i played Kettering, 2nd round Oxford, 3rd round Shrewsbury, admittedly my league form dropped from favoring the cup run in hope of financial gain. But as i crashed out 4-1 to Nottingham Forest it was back to reality and the daunting task of 2 games a week for the rest of the season and now promotion looks very challenging, i'm wondering whether the ends justify the means regarding cup runs and whether promotion would have been a more viable long term target? To a certain extent i can see the financial benefits in the financial screen but having asked the board to simply relay the pitch they told me that they couldn't afford it, i found this astonishing as the club do not have debts, wage budget is pretty average in comparison to similar teams and they are very happy with my performance. My question to anyone willing or able to answer it is this.. Do you know of any short-term or long-term benefits to having a good cup run for a small club and if this could go someway towards improving a clubs reputation and financial standing?

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Since you get half of the gate receipts from playing away it could be worth it if you are lucky to draw against a Premiership side away, it takes quite some luck though so i wouldn't rely on that too much.

I'd say always go for promotion, unless you are having a hard time on the league and you are lingering on mid table, then maybe going for a cup run could be worth it.

On the long term the promotion is always better in my opinion.

If you could guarantee promotion if you lost in the first qualifying game you play, then it would be worth it. Given there is only one automatic spot from BSN, it is tough to say that though. One good cup run can set you up for many years, I think the first time Chasetown got to the first round they earned more money from one day than in their entire history before that day - and have had several promotions after that season.

It is a huge gamble though, but most non-league sides IRL prefer a good cup run+mid table for the finances than challenging for promotion. Especially as promotion into Conference National is expensive if you aren't likely to do well in it. If you are good enough for the division above, you are probably good enough for a cup run+playoff shot anyway.

Archived