How long does it take to get a new new stadium?

Managing Grimsby, it's 2027, won the league 5 times, european cup 2 times. But still not able to attract star players or retain highest earners as we simply can't afford it. The reason we can't afford it is we have a 32,000 stadium, sold out all the time, but still does not generate that much income.

Also we now have worldwide rep, ranked 6th in the world and £100m in the bank, no debt.

When we first got promoted to EPL we had an 18,000 seater stadium built in 2019 which has subsequently been built up to it's maximum of 32,000. I know that's only 8 years and irl it's very unlikely that a board would ever build a new stadium so soon, but I was just wondering if anybody has had 2 new stadiums at the same club and how long they had to wait for the second one?

The option to ask the board for a new stadium is greyed out, and it says the club will not consider building another new stadium at present, or words to that affect.

From what I recall this was dafuge's experience in one of his extremely long career games with multiple new stadiums — a new one every 20 years exactly — and was subsequently confirmed by others. I rarely stay at a club >20 years so I haven't experienced it myself.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Hi, along similar lines to the OP, I'm in 2015/16 with my Bolton side, and had the Reebok expanded from approx. 28,000 original capacity to 35,000 and have been selling it out every week for a couple of seasons now. I recall from looking in the editor on previous versions that 35,000 is the max expansion capacity of the Reebok Stadium. Options to expand the stadium or build a new stadium are both greyed out. We have about £75m in the Bank, and turn a profit each year due to tight financial control by my good self (end of last season produced dividends of close to £20m for the shareholders).

Now, I think the Reebok was built in 1997, so will be 20 years old in 2017. Does the same logic follow with mere "new" stadiums as it does with "new new stadiums" i.e. will I have to wait until at least 2017 to request that the board build a new stadium? If so, what is the general consensus about what I will need in the Bank to get the board to build a new stadium? Assume I will be still selling out the Reebok every week and winning League titles and challenging for the Champions League.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the 20 year gap still applies to real life stadia, so it would look like 2017 is the earliest it will happen for you.

Finances are often fairly irrelevant when it comes to a new stadium, as if the need is big enough for it then the board will take out a loan to cover the costs.

Well the first bit definitely applies, not sure about the second although Bolton is a sizeable town and part of Greater Manchester etc so fingers crossed! I'll report back in 2017/2018 with any results / frustrations! Fingers crossed for at least a 60,000 stadium.

Well the first bit definitely applies, not sure about the second although Bolton is a sizeable town and part of Greater Manchester etc so fingers crossed! I'll report back in 2017/2018 with any results / frustrations! Fingers crossed for at least a 60,000 stadium.

I doubt it would be 60k, you're more looking at 40 something to start with with room to expand. Atleast that's my experience in games.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Cleon. Am now crossing my fingers for a 50,000 seater with room to expand - gotta think big! :)

I should say too my rep is currently "Continental" - 4.5 starts - and am hoping by the time the request to build a new stadium is available and no longer greyed out that our reputation will be "Worldwide" - 5 stars, so hopefully that should guarantee a few more bums on seats!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Cleon. Am now crossing my fingers for a 50,000 seater with room to expand - gotta think big! :)

I should say too my rep is currently "Continental" - 4.5 starts - and am hoping by the time the request to build a new stadium is available and no longer greyed out that our reputation will be "Worldwide" - 5 stars, so hopefully that should guarantee a few more bums on seats!

Could you let us know when you get the option to ask, when its accepted, size they build and how much it costs. Also if you are able to see what the maximum expansion would be. Would just be really interested to see what you get and what I can hopefully look forward to.

Could you let us know when you get the option to ask, when its accepted, size they build and how much it costs. Also if you are able to see what the maximum expansion would be. Would just be really interested to see what you get and what I can hopefully look forward to.

Here's the message I got, if that helps.

That was from a request, if the board decide to build a new one themselves then the announcement comes after the season has finished.

Thanks. Am I right in thinking the option to request the Board build a new stadium was literally greyed out and unavailable one day, and then available to select the next? i.e. was this linked to the age of your existing stadium as previously discussed?

As you say, don't want to risk any corruption of the file. Plus I've used FMRTE in past versions and any success I had always seems tainted, so decided not to use it again.

Well, if you find that you will enjoy the years waiting for a new stadium, I'd say play those 20 seasons. SI has set that arbitrary limit so that clubs won't build a new stadium too often, but you have to consider that very rarely in football history does a club rise so quickly through the ranks as we do playing FM. We make FM unrealistic, and therefore the limit is unrealistic too! I set the stadium build year date back 10 years in FM11 because I would rather stop playing the save than play those 5-6 seasons extra just because SI had set the limit to 20 and not 15 years. It is not a very intrusive FMRTE edit (you still need the money and the board need to agree to it), and should not cause problems.

I'm Brentford and have reached the Premiership, my original stadium has been expanded a couple of times in the past. I've been putting off building a new stadium as I believe the board will only build one that is not much bigger and then the 20 year things will come into effect. This will mean, even after a couple of expansions, that I am stuck in a relatively small stadium in comparison to other teams. Should I continue putting it off until my reputation/finances are larger or should I build a new stadium as soon as possible?

I'm Brentford and have reached the Premiership, my original stadium has been expanded a couple of times in the past. I've been putting off building a new stadium as I believe the board will only build one that is not much bigger and then the 20 year things will come into effect. This will mean, even after a couple of expansions, that I am stuck in a relatively small stadium in comparison to other teams. Should I continue putting it off until my reputation/finances are larger or should I build a new stadium as soon as possible?

The board might take matter into their own hands if they feel you need the move.

Well, in my case they built a stadium that was similar in size to that of the "Max Attendance" figure I saw in the editor when I changed the stadium build year. It increases with a few thousand every year as long as the club continues to grow. My stadium was maxed out at 40k, and the max attendance was at 55k, which was also the size of the stadium they built in my name. The longer you wait, the bigger the new stadium will be yes, but in Premier League there is this thing called Non-Football Costs which will increase every year until it reaches £40m or so, and quite frankly you need to go far in Champions League every year to go with a profit, since if your season tickets cost £400 you need 100 000 of them just to cover that.

Edit: and you need money to build a new stadium...

Thanks. Am I right in thinking the option to request the Board build a new stadium was literally greyed out and unavailable one day, and then available to select the next? i.e. was this linked to the age of your existing stadium as previously discussed?

My previous stadium was built ages ago, so the reason it was greyed for me was because my current stadium could still be expanded.

Well, I finished the 2015/16 season last night. Won 3rd Premier League on the trot and also strolled to the League Cup and FA Cup trophies. I still really struggle in the Champions League though. This season I got knocked out in the first knock out round after the Group Stage to a good Barcelona side, although ran the close. The season before that I didn't make it out of the Group Stage I don't think (although went on to win the Uefa Cup).

Is anyone changing things (tactics) massively in order to have success in the Champions League? Hopefully next season I'll get to the last 16 for the first time.

Had my first "ridiculous" season for a striker since back in the day (CM 2001-02), with my Fierro scoring about 80 in all competitions. He's still only 21/22 so I've just got him on focus on finishing and see if I can his finishing stat up from 17 to 18 and then he will be a beast. If only he had a left peg.

Anyway, back on topic - I now have one full season to go (2016/17) until the clock ticks round to the Reebok Stadium being 20 years old. I'll prob get that season done over the weekend and will report back.

Out of interest, couple of "facilities" related questions:

1. are corporate / youth / training / youth network all separate from the Stadium? i.e when I move from the Reebok to a new bigger Stadium will all those facilities remain at the leval they were at? Realistically I could understand if all but the youth network changed but never had a new stadium so not sure.

2. relatedly - has anyone ever been given the options to request improvements in corporate facilities? Or is this something that the Board can only ever do themselves over time / with the aid of a new stadium? Mine are listed as "good" currently at the Reebok, but I think this has been the case since the start of my game.

I had a new stadium built in 2016 at Santos. I already had State of the Art facilities etc but once the new stadium was built I could ask for them to be improved again. There still not finished yet I think I'm 3 months game time away from it. Not sure why I could get them improved though when they were already the best you can get?

Here is the screenshot;

transfer1.png

Well, I finished the 2015/16 season last night. Won 3rd Premier League on the trot and also strolled to the League Cup and FA Cup trophies. I still really struggle in the Champions League though. This season I got knocked out in the first knock out round after the Group Stage to a good Barcelona side, although ran the close. The season before that I didn't make it out of the Group Stage I don't think (although went on to win the Uefa Cup).

Is anyone changing things (tactics) massively in order to have success in the Champions League? Hopefully next season I'll get to the last 16 for the first time.

Had my first "ridiculous" season for a striker since back in the day (CM 2001-02), with my Fierro scoring about 80 in all competitions. He's still only 21/22 so I've just got him on focus on finishing and see if I can his finishing stat up from 17 to 18 and then he will be a beast. If only he had a left peg.

Anyway, back on topic - I now have one full season to go (2016/17) until the clock ticks round to the Reebok Stadium being 20 years old. I'll prob get that season done over the weekend and will report back.

Out of interest, couple of "facilities" related questions:

1. are corporate / youth / training / youth network all separate from the Stadium? i.e when I move from the Reebok to a new bigger Stadium will all those facilities remain at the leval they were at? Realistically I could understand if all but the youth network changed but never had a new stadium so not sure.

2. relatedly - has anyone ever been given the options to request improvements in corporate facilities? Or is this something that the Board can only ever do themselves over time / with the aid of a new stadium? Mine are listed as "good" currently at the Reebok, but I think this has been the case since the start of my game.

No idea about the last 2 questions, and I would be interested to know that too as my corporate facilities are also rated good.

In terms of tactics for champs league I had to change from playing direct and dirty football which got me from conference to EPL to play more possession based football, now play control and look to play through defences. Also helps that the players I know have are pass masters. With the new tactics I've won two champs leagues in 3 years and one semi final.

I had a new stadium built in 2016 at Santos. I already had State of the Art facilities etc but once the new stadium was built I could ask for them to be improved again. There still not finished yet I think I'm 3 months game time away from it. Not sure why I could get them improved though when they were already the best you can get?

Here is the screenshot;

transfer1.png

That could just be that they are old and although state of the art are behind technological advancements. You may be able to upgrade them before they lose their highest rating.

That could just be that they are old and although state of the art are behind technological advancements. You may be able to upgrade them before they lose their highest rating.

After only 9 months? They've only just become state of the art so doubt they'd be degrading or advanced much in that time?

I think that the facilities were rated out of 20 and that 19 and 20 were both state of the art. So if yours were only rated 19 then there is still one notch to go to which is why they are being improved. I would imagine that will be the limit for you until they start to degrade.

Hopefully if I get improved Corporate Facilities with the new stadium that hopefully will be coming soon this should bring in some extra wonga. Is the bizarre "non-footballing costs" still plaguing the series? Always seemed to be a very high amount!

OK well my prediction for new stadium is around 50,000, expandable to 65,000. Hopefully it will be bigger than expected though as it will be a long old wait until 2037 for a new new one!

Hopefully if I get improved Corporate Facilities with the new stadium that hopefully will be coming soon this should bring in some extra wonga. Is the bizarre "non-footballing costs" still plaguing the series? Always seemed to be a very high amount!

OK well my prediction for new stadium is around 50,000, expandable to 65,000. Hopefully it will be bigger than expected though as it will be a long old wait until 2037 for a new new one!

Apparently if you're in EPL and champs league NFS'c rise to about £40mil, I started a topic on this a while ago and didn't get a satisfactory answer to why they rise so much.

Archived