Players you've paid over the odds for...

Was reading another thread and someone mentioned that they paid £30million for Curtis Davis on FM10 - I thought to myself "you might want to keep that quiet" but then I remembered I once splashed out £30million on Paul Robinson on FM 2005.

Then it got me thinking... Has anyone else had similar shockers?

Paid £33m for Walter Samuel back on one of the older FM games. Roundabout 06/07 time IIRC. He was fantastic for my Juve team but that was a sky high price to pay for him.

In a network game with two mates a few years ago I was Arsenal and they took advantage of my failure to offer new contracts to players in my squad and snapped up half of my first team :( I went out and bought Lizarazu for £3.6m but I think he was something like 36 but was the best option for me at the time so I paid it anyway. I didn't think it was all that bad really but they ripped me to bits for it.

Back in FM10 when I got into the game, I was managing Palermo, thinking I was the big stuff by reloading the games. Of course, I sucked, but I thought I was the club rocker or something. Thing was that one of my scouts heavily recommended a portuguese lad, can't remember his name, and I got him for about 40 Mil over 48 months. That's right.

I bought an MC/AMC when I was playing a 4-2-3-1 like Madrid does now, with Hamsik, Pastore and Buonanotte on the AMR AMC AML roles, and this guy never broke into the team. He was horrible and his stats were never that bad. But he couldn't for the love of god make assists or score goals. I dumped him on reserves, and he immediately blasted me for it. Asking for a transfer. Fair enough, I gave him a transfer, and then he demanded that I keep paying over 90% of his SICK wage.

Yeah... I was a kid back then...

I paid £35m for Rafael Sobis on FM2007, only to discover he had the dreaded shoots with power PPM. He was quickly on the transfer list after one over the bar shot too many. I ended up loaning him out for 2 seasons, and then selling him for £10m.

Paid 70 mil for Cassilas and 120 mil for Messi when I was managing Valencia back in FM07, Just so I could beat barca and real easier.

So easy to make money on that game, I had run out of places to spend it so thought wth. Real ended up getting relegated not long after that.

Back in FM10 when I got into the game, I was managing Palermo, thinking I was the big stuff by reloading the games. Of course, I sucked, but I thought I was the club rocker or something. Thing was that one of my scouts heavily recommended a portuguese lad, can't remember his name, and I got him for about 40 Mil over 48 months. That's right.

I bought an MC/AMC when I was playing a 4-2-3-1 like Madrid does now, with Hamsik, Pastore and Buonanotte on the AMR AMC AML roles, and this guy never broke into the team. He was horrible and his stats were never that bad. But he couldn't for the love of god make assists or score goals. I dumped him on reserves, and he immediately blasted me for it. Asking for a transfer. Fair enough, I gave him a transfer, and then he demanded that I keep paying over 90% of his SICK wage.

Yeah... I was a kid back then...

There really isn't much of a difference in mentality between being 17 and 19 lol. Well, not in my experience anyway.

I'd had enough of dominating world football with my team of superstars at Arsenal, so decided it was time to, over a couple of seasons, get rid of ALL real players and become a young, regen only team.

Part of this was selling Eden Hazard. On the right wing, I had a couple of regens who could take my departing players places, but on the left I had a still mediocre kid with "potential"...

So I had to go out and complete my new side with this gem. 50 mil for a 21 year old is undoubtedly over paying, as is 120k a week at a team that were suddenly under a mil a week total wages. He's already starting to pay it back though.

u6sgQ.png

I've just remembered, back on an older game (it may well have been a CM instead of an FM game) I wasted about £30m on Ismail Urzaiz while at Barcelona, he had been banging in the goals in ridiculous numbers for 2-3 seasons so I figured it was money well spent. He came to me and quickly became rubbish.

Was reading another thread and someone mentioned that they paid £30million for Curtis Davis on FM10 - I thought to myself "you might want to keep that quiet" but then I remembered I once splashed out £30million on Paul Robinson on FM 2005.

Then it got me thinking... Has anyone else had similar shockers?

I can remember when he was the greatest defender on a FM can't remember which one though, but he turns into the best thing since sliced bread.

I paid £16 mil for Sean Dundee from some German side (Karlsruher or something) on CM97, which was the only time I have broken a world record! Beating Alan Shearer's transfer to Newcastle.

He. Was. Unbelievably. Bad.

Since then I think I have only spent over £30 mil once and that was Guiseppe Rossi to Arsenal a few years ago, again very disappointing. Twice bitten, four times shy :p

January 2011 - £50 million for Torres to improve my Chelsea squad from Liverpool......hang on a minute.....

Seriously though i paid £52m for Bale, thrid game broken his leg, came back and torn hamstring. By the time he was fully fit i had jumped ship to Bayern Munich.

Paid £80mil for Mamadou Sakho (did i spell his first name right?) on FM09 (I think)... I had an insane Manchester United team that won everything every year and had a lot of cash because I didn't really need anybody. With that in mind, I decided to splash out on the best defender I could find, which was Sakho and you could probably say it was a Real Madrid moment when they bought Cristiano Ronaldo :D To be fair, Sakho had a CA of 199 (found on Genie Scout).

In FM2007 bought a regen striker from Newcastle for 55M. He was called Steve Bullock and had dragged an average England kicking and screaming to a Euro and World Cup win by the tender age of 24, scoring all of Englands goals from the quarter-finals onwards in both competitions!

He was a bit like a mix between Ibrahimovic and Torres. He wasn't actually that prolific a goalscorer. But he had this habit of always scoring the match-winner :D

In CM2 (I think) I paid 35 mil for Veron. That doesn't sound too bad. The problem was it was a save I had with a mate, that we played during our hour lunch from work (so was a little rushed).... and I forgot I signed him!!!! Didn't play him for 6 months!!!!

Very expensive squad only player!

An italian Newgen AMC who at 18 years old had just joined OM for 2 million over the summer of 2019. Obviously they wouldnt sell, so i took him on loan with a upfront fee of 2.5 million, with £38 million clause to buy him during the loan season. Didnt thinmk id buy him, but wanted him as i was a bit short in that position. 2 goals and 2 assists on his debut followed by 6 more assists and 4 more goals in 10 games pushed me into buying him in the january transfer window for the £38 Million. Needless to say since then he hasnt scored or set up a goal.

Archived