Why are my players incapable of converting chances?

I'm getting really tired of creating brilliant one on one chances (not at a tight angle, not far away from goal), genuinly brilliant chances that any half decent striker in real life would finish but my players either put them 300 yards wide, 300 yards high or just hit the ball straight at the opposition goalkeeper.

I feel that I am doing all that I can possibly do as I am creating the chances for the strikers or attacking midfielders but they as players are just incapable of converting them.

In my last game I had 17 shots with only 5 of these being long shots and 4 being clear cut chances, really good one on one situations but I came away with no goals. The opposition had 2 clear cut chances (much like mine, genuine good chances) and converted both of them with a striker who had 9 finishing and a centre back who had 2 finishing (yes he scored with his foot not his head).

How in any way is this realistic? It is just leading me to become increasingley frustrated as I don't really feel like there is much more I can do. My tactics are giving my players the chances, they just don't want to score.

i'm getting really tired of scoring an insane ammount of goals, then not scoring any against mid tables i am favourate to beat.

there is far to much unrealism, defenders get yellows far too often, AI teams always seem to score from that 1 chance they create after being dominated, even if they are 2 leagues lower then you.

and unrealistc, i just watched my keeper drift AWAY from the ball on a corner and concede.

then there are players randomly taking an 90% wage cut to play somewhere else a week after they would not accept a contract offer for 8x more.

Let's take these one by one:

1: Bar penalties and open goal tap ins, there is not a single chance type in which the attacker is favoured to score. The keeper is always favourite. For example, the OPTA recorded CCC's (life imitating art?) are only converted, on average, 1 in 3 times.

2: The common cause for failing to beat mid-table teams is an overly aggressive / frantic approach. They will sit back and defend deep. If you play a high tempo game, the chances are the final ball / shot will be rushed. Look to slow things down and draw them out. Other possibilities could be a poor motivational strategy or overly narrow tactics which stagnate against deep defences.

3: The one shot one goal scenario is usually the result of a team getting frustrated at being unable to convert and losing focus because of it. The longer you fail to convert, the more self-belief the opposition gets, meaning if they do break, there is a higher chance of the very confident striker converting. Again, fixing the issues mentioned in 2 generally prevents this.

4: There is a bug in keeper positioning on set piece deliveries. However, it affects the AI as well. Just have to grin and bear it I'm afraid.

5: Although how often players refuse good wage offers might be slightly bugged, there are many reasons players decide to sign / not sign for a team. Money is not the be all and end all motivational factor.

• 3 months later...

Thanks wwfan. This is some useful things I tried. The issues still haunts my team though! I am on slow tempo with two advanced wingers (one as inside forward) and get a good reaction at the outset and at half time on team talks. Still just played mid-level side and "won" 28-3 on chances but lost 2-1. Any futher suggestions welcome.

Wwfan hit that spot on :)

The problem with some people, and i'm not accusing you of this, just stating... People don't try different tactical approaches, they just play with a tactic and expect to win just because the other team is much weaker. Sometimes you can underestimate an opponent and this is the weakness in some.

It drives me crazy as well. I think it is AI compensating to prevent the human manager being to succuesful to easy. In my Blackburn game it happens time after time: 30 chances vs 5 but not winning. And I have top quality strikers like Doumbia. Really ennoying!

Archived