Contract renewals start date

Something that has always bugged in my years of CM/FMing has been that when I renew contracts for another year, the new terms take effect immediately, rather than when the old contract expires, which is how I think it should be. A player agrees a deal for a new contract, and if they don't insist in negotiations that the new wage/status/bonuses should happen straightaway, the new stuff ought to kick in when the old contract is up, not before. The problem sometimes is that the wage budget gets skewed when you give players raises, but are planning to sell or release others, and it can effect wage budget space when tryingt o sign players for the next season. Or can you do this and I have just missed it all this time?

Besides what you say, there is an other view in contract renewals also. Its a reward in many cases rather than a 'you keep your place in the team' statement. Years remaining, also influence many things in the transfer market. And there are minimum fee releases that they take effect immediately. All these are related to your transfer/wage budget.

hi dr hook i think the same and find it annoying that i then have the board telling me i should be watching the wage budget grr lol

Well I hope SI will take a look at this- it seems a relatively simple thing to correct- have a "contract effective" button, just like when you are arranging a transfer for immediately or end of season to have the contract start immediately or at expiry of the old one.

im pretty sure player contracts in real life are effective immediatley so the system is realistic tbf

I am not talking about contracts for brand new players, but for players already under contract to your club. To have a contract for the next year effective in January while they still have 5 months to run on the older one makes no business sense. Outside of specifically renegotiating an existing deal at a player's request, why in the world would the next deal automatically go into effect immediately? Sports contracts in the US don't work like that as a general rule, and I can't imagine why it would be any different elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge, when a player is in the final year of his contract, an "extension" doesn't kick in until the current deal has expired. This isn't the same as offering a player a "new" contract (ie a player who still has 2+ years to run, but has earned a better deal), which would be effective immediately.

To the best of my knowledge, when a player is in the final year of his contract, an "extension" doesn't kick in until the current deal has expired. This isn't the same as offering a player a "new" contract (ie a player who still has 2+ years to run, but has earned a better deal), which would be effective immediately.

That's as it should be, and something I think FM ought to reflect, unless we agree specifically with a player to a wage increase in the current contract.

Archived