strikers, who should be world class, considering their attributes, but are just awful...

Hi,

well, currently playing a save with Villarreal, from 12 games, Ive won 9 2 1, so am really happy about the results so far, but unfortunately I am having bad times with my two strikers Nilmar and Rossi. Generally, you would consider those two as probably two of the best 10 strikers in the game, but the amount of chances, theyve been missing so far, is just horrible. I am playing FM for more than 2 years, and Im aware of the problem with CCCs being missed far too easily, but in this case, its so crucial, that there were 4 or 5 situations, where especially nilmar missed a torres'esque like situation, where he past the keeper and just needed to bring the ball behind the net and he still managed to shout it beside the goal xD

from fm 11, I know, that rossi and nilmars hidden stats like consistency and pressure arent that great like their normal attributes, but quite strange, that theyve only scored 2 goals in 11 games so far and my young prospect leandro, who only has 12 for finishing and 11 for composure and by far doesnt have the mental attributes as those two, is my topscorer. anyone else have had these kind of experiences, where you would expect a player to be a world beater, but just shows awful performances. Ive now offerd him for 20million pounds and barcelona are ready to pay that amount. kinda look for a new striker in the january window, as otherwise he will destroy my beautiful game :D

FM12 seems to favour pacy strikers, so a quick striker with poor technical ability seems to get more goals than than a technically gifted yet not so quick striker.

For me, Luis Suarez had been performing reasonably well, but his goals started drying up. I signed Jordan Ayew as a back-up, he is very quick but not so technically gifted as Suarez. Ayew has started scoring goals for fun, so much so that he is now my first choice depite my coaches suggesting Suarez is better.

Suarez is my top goal scorer along with Gerrard.The game doesn't favour pacy strikers. If it did, then Delfonso and defoe would be the top goal scorers, but they are not. I know it is cliche, but it is the truth, it is your tactics. The game favoures tactics over players attribute.

also, in my older save, Rossi scored like 45 goals in one season and he is slower than Suarez and Gerrard.

I had a save with villarreal few weeks back when we first got 12.1 and Rossi was class for me but Nilmar was shocking i ended up selling him to sau paulo in 2nd season, when i checked Nilmars match performace it always said " struggles to get motivated to play for you because of your low rep" as i started with semi pro so guess this was Nilmars problem :)

Suarez is my top goal scorer along with Gerrard.The game doesn't favour pacy strikers. If it did, then Delfonso and defoe would be the top goal scorers, but they are not. I know it is cliche, but it is the truth, it is your tactics. The game favoures tactics over players attribute.

also, in my older save, Rossi scored like 45 goals in one season and he is slower than Suarez and Gerrard.

It's not necessarily mutually exclusive. Tactics are very important, I agree, tactics and good man mangement can net 40 goals/season for Emile Heskey, but even so, in most tactical systems, pace provides a disproportionate advantage compared to other attributes.

And, in fact, whenever I've played as England or Tottenham, Defoe has been incredible, even better than Suarez despite the fact that I used the same slow build-up, technique-oriented possession tactic in my England game that I had designed for my Liverpool game.

Perhaps your tactic suits slower players whilst mine suits a pacy striker, but on the whole there are more tactical variations that suit a pacy striker, as there have been lots of threads to suggest this.

Pace is so crucial because it is needed whenever a player moves in FM, while in real life players don't sprint continuously through the whole game. Without high Pace, a player needs his teammates to do something fantastic to create big chances for the team, and he will always be too late into both positions and tackles if he is slow. There are exceptions but those are usually extreme players like John Terry. Real life football is much denser than FM football, and all that unrealistic space can only be dealt with by quickness.

Back to the OP - my friend trying Brob's 4-1-2-3 with Villlareal didn't manage to get Nilmar and Rossi to work either.

Perhaps your tactic suits slower players whilst mine suits a pacy striker, but on the whole there are more tactical variations that suit a pacy striker, as there have been lots of threads to suggest this.

Actually, I played him mostly as a poacher. And sometimes I set him as target man and run onto ball. But this works only if the opposition team playing with high DL and the oppsite defender is slower than him. If they are playing deep(speed will be irrelevent), I will look to put him up against a defender with low anticipation and concentration. If none of the above is possible, I just play him as advanced forward or Trequartista. Try it for a couple of matches and you will see. You will even notice that the opposition manager will switch his defenders to cope with him.

well, I ended up selling nilmar for 20million pounds (all direct cash :D) and have signed sigurdsson from ajax. the guy is just 21, loooking a hot prospect and could reach the same potential as rossi. Ive put rossi onto the position of the amc, playing as a trequartista and have my back up striker leandro as a poacher in front of him, first game 6-0 away to betis, rossi got 9.5 rating and leandro scored a hattrick within the first 10 minutes. I now know, why rossi wasnt performing well as a striker. as Im playing with a trequartista and a poacher, who shall lead the line, I need pacy strikers who always do the run behind the defenders. rossi is generally a good poacher for my system, but unfortunately he has the PPM comes deep to get the ball and this often leads to the situation, that he drops deep, takes away room from my amc and we dont have a target upfront, who we can feed with direct passes behind the defence. nilmar is just awful, neither in fm 11 nor in fm 12 I could get him to score. he has everything, good finishing, dribbling, anticipation, decision, off the ball, pace and so on, but dont know, why hes just so awful in front of the goal. am also looking for luke de jong, does anyone make experiences with him? like sigurdsson, he seems to be a consistent performer, and that seems to be the key attribute, when youre playing a system with one striker. the only striker must be reliable, otherwise you might end up with frustrating draws :D

Archived