Team Talks .......................

Hey Guys,

In this years FM i cant seem to get the team talks right at all, its like everytime i think i get it right i lose and when its wrong i get thrashed, i cant seem to get any consistency at all.

Example.

Played Liverpool in the league cup, im playing as Stoke the year is 2015, did the team talk, everyone seemed motivated. lost 5-2

Played Liverpool in the League in the very next match, did a slightly different team talk and then played them off the park and won 3-0

Thought to myself that id cracked it, tried it against Tottenham and drew 2-2, and i have just lost to Villa 2-1, Im at a loss as what to do, even when i have the better team i still struggle to get results.

I wouldnt normally ask for help on here but i just cant get it and its making me so frustrated with a game i love. I dont have a lot of time to play it now im older and so when i do i want to be able to enjoy it.

Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks

Team talks aren't everything. The basics though are if you're just favourite, assertively or passionately tell them you expect a win. If you're a huge favourite, calmly tell them you want a win, or to play their natural game and it will come (which also releases pressure). If you're the underdog, assertively tell them you still expect a level of performance.

Then the half time thing is varied dependant upon that and the current score. Unless it's an important game with a tight result, never tell them not to lose their concentration. As long as you're ahead or drawing then generally "doing well lads keep it up" is the one. Although the odd aggressive kick in the pants is worth it.

I never ever use cautious or reluctant. Nearly always passionate or assertive no matter what I'm telling them.

But don't forget, any given saturday anyone can beat anyone. So it's not all team talks.

If your players are motivated then you are getting the team talks right, but possibly getting the tactics wrong. Team talks are just one cog in the machine. Personally I let my assistant deal with them, although I am planning to take the reins myself soon.

I know it's not always about the team talk that gets me my results, but whenever I get it right against the big clubs I perform well ive beaten Man Utd 3-0 and then got it wrong and they thrash me, even though I know my team would put up more of a fight.

Got another stupid team talk action....

Ive just won 5 games in a row, playing away against a Chelsea team below me, half time its 0-0 and they are down to 10 men, and ive been unlucky not to score.

As soon as i click play for the second half im down 1-0, i went on to lose 6-1, the only thing i put that down to is the team talk....im sorry but it just is. i told them they were doing well cause they were.

There is noway my team would collaspe like that. They have been full of confidence recently and playing very well. This is so frustrating.

Edit..

just lost 6-0 to Arsenal....just cant enjoy this game at all

In that case they weren't doing well, they were "unlucky lads"; "if we score I make us favourites".

If it's that horrific just get your assman to take it all the time. Remember that if they're full of confidence, wield the whip of expectation and if their morale is hopeless to bring out the confident arm-round-shoulder stuff. Generally though, whip them harder.

Some teamtalks work for some but not others is because of YOU managers rep. I mean, i started as a sunday league manager and i have used the same teamtalks for over 8 years and at the beginning i was getting a few red(negative) remarks but as my rep got higher the players listened to me and now i am world class, i almost everytime get positive remarks.

I use 'assertive' expect a win when i am favourite and sometimes i tweak the defens,midfield and attacks to either ' i have faith, which makes some happy/motivated if i am favourite and if i am heavy favourites i used 'expect win' with assertive.

At fulltime i use 'dont become complacement for next match' on assertive and if i get a few negative remarks, individualy click on the player and say 'good game/very good game' depending on what type of game you think he had.

This is just what works for me but it might not work with you.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/barrowvderbybarrowteamt.png/

One of the best halves of football my team played was when I accidently clicked on the wrong option and Angered my entire team. Southampton didn't know what hit them in the second half. :D

After a few seasons it definitely seems easier to get a good response, as the guy above me has stated.

I tend to ignore whole team talks and use the Passionate - "I have faith in you" talk for each 'section' of the team as a default and it ususally gets a good response.

Exactly, I find my team playing well sometimes despite losing at half-time. Why wouldn't you be able to say something like 'you're playing well lads, keep going and we might snatch a win'. My issue with teamtalks is that they are too vague, not enough options and focus more on the score and not the performance.

In order to build an understanding(beyond casual) of how teamtalks work you should look into the following:

type of match

team selection

finding out player's personalities

player's personalities

player's motivation

tactics

coaches

prematch

during the match

halftime

substitutions

fulltime

postmatch

or have a good team and do nothing of the above:). reputation is important in 12.1.1 also

cheers

One thing I'll say to anyone struggling with team talks, is to hire the right sort of assistant manager, then look at what he suggests for ideas.

An ideal assistant manager, should have the following attributes (in my opinion), when it comes to the quality of "advice" he gives:

16+ Tactical Knowledge

16+ Motivating

16+ Man Management

16+ Judging Player Ability

Whilst getting an assistant with 16+ in all these attributes can be quite tricky, they are a few in the game. Some are easier to get to your club than others. For example,

Martin Keown - Arsenal

has all the right attributes, but I've yet to get him to a club outside England.

Decent determination can also be helpful, but additional attributes such as this can be down to personal preference when searching for a good assistant.

A few other names to consider with 16+ in the attributes mentioned:

Christian Lantignotti - Cesena and Jair Ventura - Botafogo

Basically, a good assistant can be utilised as a "help" method for team talks, tactical advice and opposition instructions. If you're not sure, he can help with suggestions, which you can also learn from.

I struggled with teamtalks for ages, constantly trying people's methods and not getting any consistency. As has been mentioned i started using my assistant as a guide, or even using him to take the teamtalk and it hs worked out much better for me. Assistant is Mark Venus at Middlesbrough so not fantastic stats but working well for me.

Ofcourse a good assistant is a great help also. he can give oi's, do the teamtalks, give backroom advice, attend press conferences he is like the perfect secretary. As a conclusion, teamtalks are a part of the game for anyone who is willing to take his time and explore them. And he will eventualy get them to work.

Here are my thoughts on team talks in 12.1.1:

* Getting green upwards arrows is not necessarily a good thing

- The positive team talk results only last for a little while. After that, anything could happen.

- Goals will hugely change morale and motivation.

- Lack of goals could be very detrimental to morale if you put a lot of pressure on them before the match; after about half an hour I tend to see nervousness spread like Bird Flu throughout the team if I haven't scored. So basically, "expect a win" and assertive "for the fans" tells your players to come out of the starting block running - but if this does not result in an early goal you may be in trouble.

* Getting red downwards arrows is not necessarily a bad thing

- "Angered" is apparently much the same as "fired up", but this may of course depend on player personality and Determination (like they all do, in truth).

- "Stressed" is apparently not the same as "playing nervously".

- "Looking down and pressurized" and "looking demotivated" leads to an awful drop in morale and should of course be avoided.

* As a rule, I never strive to achieve a full set of green arrows in the pre-match team talk. I rather avoid red arrows

- This is true as long as players have Good, Very Good or Superb morale.

- If they have Ok or lower morale, I tell them individually either Calmly or Passionately "you have faith" variants (usually second from top). This often results in an increase in morale, which is good.

- "nothing particular noted" (sic) does not mean that he didn't react to the team talk, and "playing ok" (in match) means that he is waiting for a goal so to speak. It is difficult to achieve 7.0 or better ("having a good game") without scoring goals, so 6.7-6.9 is normal if the score is 0-0 in the first half.

** So, based on the above observations, I think the correct path to team talks is to simply try to avoid nervousness and complacency. The rest is up to team form and the hidden mental attributes of the players, plus player quality of course. As many of the most prominent posters in here have stated many times, team talks are only a small part of team and player performance, so the effect of "looking motivated" and "looking fired up" etc are deliberately negligible. However, the effect of nervousness and complacency are not negligible at all! As someone stated above, take a close look at the pre-match odds. If the game is touted to be a close match, encourage. If you are slight favourites, demand their best. If you are slight underdogs, spread confidence. If you are huge favourites or underdogs, comfort and release pressure.

- However, bear in mind that the above strategies are entirely dependent on team form, team morale, the previous matches and not the least team Determination and hidden attributes.

- If in bad form, try to build up the morale and confidence again and lie if you need to. Avoid nervousness.

- If in good form, you will have to put pressure upon them to avoid complacency.

- If team morale is low, putting pressure on them may have severely adverse effects.

- If team morale is high, they don't need to be fired up, just focused.

- If you have won several matches in a row, the out-of-the-blue terrible performance is nigh - it is an absolute certainty - and it is your job to prevent it from happening. But no matter what you tell them this match will come and as WWfan says: when it does you need to squeeze out a result anyway by tactical means.

- A team with low Determination will struggle turning around a match, and may react negatively to going a goal down especially if you told them to perform.

- The hidden attributes (pressure, big matches, consistency, professionalism, ambition) can be glimpsed in the player info screen under "personality" but the true picture can only be known through experience.

- Nothing helps if your reputation is lower than that of the players and the club.

Exactly, I find my team playing well sometimes despite losing at half-time. Why wouldn't you be able to say something like 'you're playing well lads, keep going and we might snatch a win'. My issue with teamtalks is that they are too vague, not enough options and focus more on the score and not the performance.

I would say you are focusing more on the score and not the performance, i have used a pleased talk at half time when losing when i have been all over a team but conceded a daft goal on a number of occasions. It works if used in the right situation.

I would say you are focusing more on the score and not the performance, i have used a pleased talk at half time when losing when i have been all over a team but conceded a daft goal on a number of occasions. It works if used in the right situation.

And conversly, "unhappy" when winning without playing well.

I've found the deadliest team talk is "pleased" for a mediocre performance.

And conversly, "unhappy" when winning without playing well.

I've found the deadliest team talk is "pleased" for a mediocre performance.

Exactly, context of the game is vital to choosing your team talk, not the score!! Its not a mini game of achieving green arrows, and there are no 100% right and wrong answers for specific situations, when people fully understand that they will get to grips more with the team talk module.

Milnerpoint, "point out" for me the most important factor: team perfomance.

My team talks at half time and full time are always related with the team perfomance and not the team result, apart from very rare exeptions.

Theres no use praise your players at half time if they are playing poorly (even if they are winning), because they will continue to play bad.

It doesnt matter whether i know how my team are playing, if i get the talk right i win 90% of the time, if i get it wrong i lose 100% of the time. If i use the Ass Man then they dont seem motivated at all. I can beat Man Utd at home 4-0 and then lose to Everton 3-1 in the very next game, even though i have an understanding of how to use the talks!!

I can replicate the sucess people are having with the tactics in using because of this.

Archived