does FM take advantage of hyper threading?

FM will use the RAM it needs, on 32 bit systems 512mb, and on 64 bit it's 1gb RAM.

RAM is only good for multi-tasking. And 64 bit systems utilise RAM more efficiently.

FM requires at least 1gb RAM. and Windows 64 bit requires at least 1gb RAM (roughly).

So 3gb RAM is recommended for 64 bit systems at least, but 4gb would be better and 6gb of RAM is loads.

The game is a data processing game. The better the processor you have well don't need ot say much else.

i7 processor is the mutts nuts, and if you can get it then do so. But research the processors and get the best one.

FM will use as many cores are as available, I can't quite recall about they hyperthreading, but an i7 is a quad core processor, it shouldn't need to hyperthread. But I think that FM will utilise Hyperthreading where it can.

HT will be used when processing matches otherwise FM will only use the physical cores & if an i7 is within budget there is no reason to look eleswhere, I'd certainly suggesting going for more than 4GB RAM, not much more but do go for the next step.

I'm running a 1st gen i7 920 & with the FM setup I have the game is hitting the 2GB limit, if you only go for a 4GB then you run the risk of running out of spare capacity to allow for efficient multi-tasking while playing FM.

Almost forgot, ignore any talk of getting a 32bit OS.

i7 is great for a gaming rig, for just FM and net browsing I would go with an i5 unless you have cash lying around.

If you go with an i7 invest in decent cooling and a good case and go for some overclocking, you wont regret it. Try a corsair h50 or better and get a case with good airflow, thermaltake are usually good. Get a decent power supply, over 600, so you can feed the overclock with the juice it needs.

H50? Lordy no. You want a good twin-tower cooler like the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow.

Thermaltake are terrible. Anything by Cooler Master is much better. Or the Fractal range.

The different between a normal CPU and a hugely overclocked one is a mere drop in the ocean compared to how much power a GPU will suck. On Sandy Bridge we're talking 20W at the wall from a stock 2600K to a 5GHz one.

H50? Lordy no. You want a good twin-tower cooler like the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow.

Thermaltake are terrible. Anything by Cooler Master is much better. Or the Fractal range.

The different between a normal CPU and a hugely overclocked one is a mere drop in the ocean compared to how much power a GPU will suck. On Sandy Bridge we're talking 20W at the wall from a stock 2600K to a 5GHz one.

Someone knows their stuff ;)

Archived