Can "placing shots " be bad?

I have this AML (right footed) who also can play ST ( Connar Wickham)

I am 6 years into the game he usually is my AML but now he plays as ST duo to injuries.He does quite alright ofcours he misses like crazy but which ST IN this game doesnt miss. I used to manage him in Sunderland so I managed to unlearn Shoot from power and to make him learn to place shots. He has 20 strenght 16 acc 17 pace 15 decision composure 15 finishing 15 and technique 15..

now my coach is saying he will get better if he unlean to place shots?

Can that be true?

I wouldn't pay much attention to the backroom advice on PPM's, if he is right footed and is playing as AML with those sort of attributes, placing shots is the ideal PPM to have.

On a central position, shoots with power might be more appropriate there's a great thread from the late SFraser on the tactics forum on this subject.

Places shots isn't as good as it was in FM10 and 11. Neither is Shoots with power.

In other words, if a striker is good at finishing, composure and balance he shoots all kind of shots making him more versatile. The decision making of a player with one of those two PPM's is leaned one way or the other, so in some situations he choose his "trademark" shot when it would be much better to choose the other kind. So Connor Wickham, being as strong and fast as he is and now also having good finishing attributes won't need either PPM. When that is said, a strong player like Wickham playing in a striker position would probably benefit from shoots with power especially when combined with rounds the keeper. What happens then is that he goes closer to the keeper before blasting the ball, and this is very efficient around the penalty mark!

Either of them will be nice to have for strikers with a particular weakness to their finishing skills.

I dont like either of my strikers (or any players for that matter) to have any PPM's that affect their shooting. If they have high enoughd decisions they will make the best choice for themselves. Although on that note Yakubu on my Blackburn save had likes to lob keeper PPM and scored some class goals.

I dont like either of my strikers (or any players for that matter) to have any PPM's that affect their shooting. If they have high enoughd decisions they will make the best choice for themselves. Although on that note Yakubu on my Blackburn save had likes to lob keeper PPM and scored some class goals.

I would avoid "like to lob keeper" ppm if I were you. Striker always lob the ball like it's a beach ball that often gets caught by the goalkeeper or defender easily.

I would avoid "like to lob keeper" ppm if I were you. Striker always lob the ball like it's a beach ball that often gets caught by the goalkeeper or defender easily.

He already had it when I started the game so wasn't too fussed, and he scored many a one on one with it so yeah, not complaining. I do agree though all shooting PPM's are bad

Low technique = shoots with power

High technique = places shots

Somewhere in between technique = none

That's how I deal with it and I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Though not so much with shooting with power. Maybe the low technique of the player means he wouldn't score anyways. So instead of calmly shooting the balls into the arms of the GK he blasts the ball away...

Edit: just remembered this site: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/preferred-moves

Archived