Shortening the time it takes to play

Hello Si forums,

I've got a question relating to how long it takes to play the game specifically how long it takes to play a season. I was a huge huge fan of FM2007 and FM 2008 but haven't really been back since then, despite buying FM2010, FM2011 and currently own FM2012. I do however find the seasons take an age to play now days compared to the older versions and I find my interest waining fairly quickly.

I honestly put it down to the new 3d match engine and find the switch back to the 2d view not as satisfying as before. My question, or problem, is what can I do to shorten the time a regular season would take? I find all the pre match stuff I more or less let my assistant do and I don't take control of the reserve/under 18 teams but I still find it takes ages talking to the media, having my backroom staff moaning at me because i'm not listening to their suggestions of who should be play maker and the constant e-mails from player agents who have next to no chance of ever being signed to my team.

Anyone got any suggestions to rekindle my love of this game?

Set assistant manager to do the interviews for you and to handle all other contracts/youths etc

Remove subscriptions so you get less mail

Download and use other people tactics

In side the match turn speed up high, highlights to just commentry and replays off.

Here's a few things you could consider:

Set the detail level to the absolute minimum

Remove all subscriptions

Assistant takes press conferences

Assistant handles match preparation

Assistant arranges friendlies

Assistant takes team talks

Assistant sets opposition instructions

Assistant/coaches control reserves/youth

Turn off reserve availability messages

Don't show any agent offers

Watch the matches on commentary only, at full speed

Stick to one tactic

Obviously the more you turn off, the more you miss out on but it is still possible to have success while playing quickly.

Fellas when you start out check each setting, read instructions and FAQ. If not sure ask for help (if not computer person).

Basics: Check settings, only run recommended number of leagues, etc. Clean computer. When game is ready, turn off unwanted options and let assistant do tasks as suggested.

Intermediate: The most important thing is learn to be a computer person. Learn to do a dx diag; this will tell you what your computer has. Ask if not sure. Most important to have processor speed and RAM as well as make sure your computer is updated. Again if not sure ask for help.

NEVER do technical things if you're not sure; go to Technical Support forums and ask (even if you do know what RAM is!)

My advice would be don't over complicate things. By keeping things simple you can get success and breeze through a season in around 6 / 7 hours.

I have one tactic that I use at home and away, my assistant does press conferences, friendlys, match preperation training. I sign the players, pick the team and do the half time talks. I've had success with PSV, Gillingham and now AC Milan.

Many thanks to all for the replies. I've enacted a few of the suggestions and I do find the game is flowing at a much better pace, though I can't say i'm holidaying between matches or even over matches.

I do agree with you Padders in that the beauty of FM is in the detail that the game can bring. I'm never going to be a real life football manager but, like many others, can get damn close by playing this game. However i've not got a large amount of time on my hands at the moment and the way I enjoy playing, like dafuge mentioned, is to actually see progress in the game.

Back in FM 07 I did a challenge similar to dafuge's and I took a team from nowhere up to the dizzying heights of the premier league and I loved all the time I spent really analysing scout reports and trying to sign the best players at the lowest price. However if I spent that kind of time again I would probably only get through maybe a season or two before the next game comes out, which I guess is the difference between being 17 and 22, and I get enticed by all the new features to the point where I ditch the game and move on to the new iteration.

3 hours a season does seem pretty excessive and I think I would lose some of the magic missing out on that 91st minute winner. Though saying that the heartache of it happening against you.. worrying that i'd use heartache but I would say that the feeling is similar... even though its Ronaldinho knocking your wonder West Brom side out of the champions league it hurts bad

This is the way to go. I send 5 laptops to India everywhere were a team of clickers go through around 50 seasons per 24 hours. They type up reports and email me how good I'm doing.

Nice one Object!

This is the way to go. I send 5 laptops to India everywhere were a team of clickers go through around 50 seasons per 24 hours. They type up reports and email me how good I'm doing.

That made me chuckle. In all seriousness tho, it takes me between about two weeks minimum to complete a season and as someone said above, its the depth that keeps me coming back year after year. I'd feel like I was missing out if I played another way. It would feel like fast forwarding through my favourite tv series just to see what happens in the final episode !

This is not a criticism by the way, each to their own an all that.

You could change the league setup to be round robin (teams play each other once). It wouldn't cut your fixture list exactly in half (because of cups), but you won't have nearly as many matches to get through.

I forgot how to do it, but i'm fairly certain i learned how on this site, so it should be easy to find.

Archived