Has anyone ever released a future superstar newgen?

sfg

Not realising their potential when they first come into the game?

Or is it nearly impossible not to recognise top players, either via coach reports, or transfer value? (I'm not a big fan of newgens having initial transfer value because it makes it quite easy to find really good newgens (i dont know if this is still the same in FM12).)

If you did release a future top player, do you try to buy them back? (I think the press should ask if you now admit you made a mistake :lol: )

Never released one but I have sold some for pittance. In FM2011 I sold a defensive midfielder who had really good technical attributes but dreadful mental attributes. i let him go for half nothing to some average club abroad. Years later when I'm looking for a new midfielder there he is at the top of the pile (in the player search) valued at €25m with champions league holders Lyon, with world class mental attributes too.

^good story (well not so good....) thanks. I released someone recently who turned out to be an Italy international, maybe not top top class, but I wish i'd kept him. I'm always quite quick to release youth intakes if they don't look to good initially. Doesn't always go well, wondered if I was the only one! Couldn't say i've got rid of a true superstar yet though.

You could always sell them and add a buy back clause in the hope they that if they do make it big you can get them for a bargain.

I've had very little luck with offering players with buy back clauses. Even if clubs are interested and offer they remove the clause almost every time. Any advice on this?

I had a few youth players at Roma in FM10 who became awesome after I sold them cheap thinking they didn't amount to much. I sold a LB called Maurizio Palmerini for £800k and he went on to move to Chelsea for £17.5M and start for them for years. Another one was a CB called Alessandro Gerevini who was sold to Sporting for £3.4M. I had to buy him back for £15M to prevent Juve from signing him. He was my star defender in that save after I bought him back.

They both had decent coach reports when they came through, but the flaws in their attributes meant I thought they'd never be good enough for my first team. Turns out I was wrong.

no idea i rarely use it myself, maybe if you lower the price your offering in return for the clause they may be more willing? Sometimes they feel that it doesnt represent value for money or something like that which could work.

I already offered em out for less than their actual value, so doubt that's the case. Only player that I've actually manage to sell with a buy-back clause PSV decided to sell to Milan half a season later so I lost out on the clause and PSV made easy profit... kinda wondering if that is even possible irl, that a club can just resell a player with a buy-back clause without the club with the clause having a first choice option or something.

Archived