Playing FM on your laptop

That symptom very much sounds like an overheating issue. If it only happens with FM then this could be the only time that your system is put under 'stress' and this will increase the temperature of the components and if it hits above a certain temperature (dictated normally by your BIOS settings) then the system will shut off to avoid the components being damaged.

If it is overheating you can download a range of software to monitor the temperatures of the main components to see if they wildly change when playing FM.

Another option (if you are comfortable with it and it won't affect any warranty) is to take the back of the laptop off and make sure it is well cleaned out to make sure there is no excessive dust or fluff (ground yourself first to avoid static).

Only other major reason I could think of would be the GPU drivers causing the crash (but normally this would be a bluescreen error).

Just in case go to the manufacturers website (or the comapnies website where you purchased the laptop) and check if there are any updated drivers avaiable for the graphics card.

Overhearing would be my guess too.

What are the specs of your laptop?

Have you considered buying a laptop cooler? I have this one and it's great http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-USB-Powered-Silent-Airflow-Consumption-939-000345/dp/B004J8HWHI/ref=sr_1_37?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328870532&sr=1-37

Also have you tried playing the laptop on a wooden surface, make sure the vents aren't covered or clogged with dust/fluff.

Well I used a desk fan blowing directly on my laptop for a while - it was ok did the trick lol - not recommended in winter, but nice in the summer.

Just don't block the vents, make sure they're not clogged. And get a laptop cooler.

They're great :)

• Administrators

Yeah I've always had a cooler base for my 'home' laptop, it won't always need it but at the very worst it may extend the life by a few months/years, who knows? Best to keep it on a solid base as well rather than say just leave the laptop on your bed where it can't get any ventilation.

Coretemp also has a overheat warning which you can customise,

I find the right laptop cooler is far more comfortable than a laptop on its own, the targus I suggested is one I would recommend to ANYONE. It is quiet with its fans and its foam covering makes it very comfortable. I just have it on my lap all day when at home watching TV with the wife.

Buy a cheap desk fan from your local store. Stand it on your table beside the laptop and let it blow directly on it.

If it still switches off then there's something else wrong.

Also make sure all the fans, ports, etc. anywhere dust can get is dust free.

If that doesn't work - then you've probably built up dust internally - so I suggest going to laptop repair shop and ask them to clear the dust out of it.

I usually do it myself, but if you're unsure what you're doing, seek a professionals help.

I would not recommend that, I think if you have the extra few £/$/E etc then buy something designed for the job. The benefits of it will be worth the extra cost.

Just to test if it was actually the computer overheating. It's what I used when my computer was overheating and it worked great. A fan for a fiver.

Works

If the computer doesn't shut down - then go ahead an buy a nice laptop cooler.

Archived