Can't tutor Consistency and Imp. Matches anymore

I think mental stats and hidden attributes are key attributes to a good player. In FM12 it is all but impossible to improve hidden attributes such as Consistency and Imp. Matches. Comparing screens of several players from 2011 and 2018, the highest improvement I've found is 1. yes, 1. In FM11 we were atleast able to improve these attributes through tutoring but in FM12 this is not possible. SI have done all they can to prevent players from improving their consistency and handling of important matches. It's a bit embarassing.

This is very unrealistic in my oppinion. Imagine a player in real life that plays for a top club like barcelona for 8 years from the age of 20. Wouldn't you expect him to be better at handling the big occassions and high profile matches at the age of 28? And isn't it likely that he'll be a more consistent player at the age of 28?

I know this mightn't be an important issue for most people but I want the game to be realistic and it's annoying when you have a great talent that will be worthless in CL finals for example. I just loved the way tutoring worked in FM11 and how I would keep my old boys to tutor the young players, similar to how Man Utd seem to work IRL.

I think the reason SI changed the tutoring feature is that there is a much higher chance for high-PA players to be created with good mental attributes than in FM11. It would be too easy to hoard fantastic players if you could both create wonderkids out of nobodies with high PA -and- sign ready-to-go wonderkids as well.

When that is said, I agree that Important Matches and Consistency should both increase with age as long as there is PA left. I also like the player interaction model better this time around; teenagers refusing to be tutored by club legends was just silly. I have rarely or never experienced being refused in FM12, so maybe the whole feature is really superfluous and should be changed to the same mechanism as that of Preferred Moves training.

I am not sure that the tutoring system is common outside of England, though, at least not in such a formalized manner as it seems it is in FM. So I would actually prefer that the youngsters coming to the club adapted to a hidden, general squad&staff personality type automatically, where the more reputed players would have the most influence along with players of similar type. To me that is more realistic, but then again I'm not English.

As I recall, these attributes didn't improve much in FM11 either. I never saw either improve by more than 2 points.

Frankly, I think Consistency and Important Matches are superfluous. It doesn't make sense to have "Consistency" as a separate attribute as inconsistency is a morale issue already reflected in professionalism, determination, etc.

Important matches should just be derived from determination and pressure-handling. It makes no sense to have an extremely determined, iron-willed player who randomly hates big games.

It makes no sense to have an extremely determined, iron-willed player who randomly hates big games.

that is a very logical affirmation

Though

I wonder how a player with Important matches = 1 Determination&Professionalism=20 will tackle an Important fixture like a final or a match versus a rival in the game

Badly.....

I can confirm this. I used the editor to create a non-league team of 16 year old kids with DET and PROF 20 for all (the intention being to maximise their long-term development). In league games they're fine but in cup games against higher opposition, those with poor Imp Matches attributes do tend to wilt in those games.

Important Matches and Consistency do not require CA points. Along with Aggression, Bravery, Determination, Flair, Influence, Natural Fitness, Dirtiness, Injury Proneness, Versatility, Adaptability, Ambition, Controversy, Loyalty, Pressure, Professionalism, Sportsmanship and Temperament.

Natural Fitness and Flair, are trainable but have a different learning curve compared to other trainable attributes but still don't take up CA points.

Bravery and Influence work in a different way. If you create a player with CA1 and set all the above attributes to 20, these 2 drop to 14. Why I don't know.

I think the reason SI changed the tutoring feature is that there is a much higher chance for high-PA players to be created with good mental attributes than in FM11. It would be too easy to hoard fantastic players if you could both create wonderkids out of nobodies with high PA -and- sign ready-to-go wonderkids as well.

When that is said, I agree that Important Matches and Consistency should both increase with age as long as there is PA left. I also like the player interaction model better this time around; teenagers refusing to be tutored by club legends was just silly. I have rarely or never experienced being refused in FM12, so maybe the whole feature is really superfluous and should be changed to the same mechanism as that of Preferred Moves training.

I am not sure that the tutoring system is common outside of England, though, at least not in such a formalized manner as it seems it is in FM. So I would actually prefer that the youngsters coming to the club adapted to a hidden, general squad&staff personality type automatically, where the more reputed players would have the most influence along with players of similar type. To me that is more realistic, but then again I'm not English.

I have that impression as well, i see a lot more regens with professional and model professional personality than on previous editions.

I hate when young players can't be tutored by legends as Rivaldo (because his reputation is not high enough), or when 18 years old Brazilian forward declines tutoring by such player as he "sees no benefit in it". It drives me nuts. I would probably attempt to swim all the way to Brazil if that would guarantee me the chance to meet him let alone learn from him! That said tutoring is absolutely overpowered and supertutors are able to turn Trigger into Enrico Fermi and Boycie into Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, not to mention big boost that players current ability gains during tutoring period.

Cheers to Welsh Lad for the point attribution info. It is disappointing that consistency and imp matches cant be improved through tutoring, and it pisses me off no end that reputation factors into who can tutor who. If this was translated to real life it would mean that the likes of Henry, Scholes, Raul, Van Nistelrooy wouldnt be able to pass on their knowledge to the rising stars at their respective clubs. This really takes alot of fun; nostalgia; interaction, out of the game.

However I have seen regens (newgens) have imp matches and consistency rises of 4-5 throught the course of their careers.

Archived