FM2009: Club location maps

For FM2009 could the introduction of maps be placed into the game which could be used to indicate where all the clubs are geographically located in leagues/competitions etc?

For instance, if you selected the English Premier league, a map of England would pop up with all the city names appearing on the map and the club name associated with the highlighted city in brackets. Or for Next Match data, the Venue location could be hotlinked to jump to the appropriate country map and indicating geographically where your next match is.

This would add a bit more personality to the game instead of it feeling so cold and analytical all the time.

For FM2009 could the introduction of maps be placed into the game which could be used to indicate where all the clubs are geographically located in leagues/competitions etc?

For instance, if you selected the English Premier league, a map of England would pop up with all the city names appearing on the map and the club name associated with the highlighted city in brackets. Or for Next Match data, the Venue location could be hotlinked to jump to the appropriate country map and indicating geographically where your next match is.

This would add a bit more personality to the game instead of it feeling so cold and analytical all the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

I like it. Pointless in terms of gameplay but would improve the overall feel of the game, which is what is needed. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I know SI do a lot of reworking behind what the interface shows us but I think it's about time a little more eye candy was added to the game to not make it look so same-ish each year.

It's an interesting suggestion, but it might not always work. What if you created a side, and didn't specify where it was? How would that decide where it was? And wouldn't London get a bit congested, with so many teams there? Considering the size the map would be, it would be a bit cramped. And there would, of course, be the same people who complained about Facegen complaining again.

But I do think that little cosmetic changes like that are what will drive the series and the game forward, so, if they can solve the little teething problems, then I think it would potentially be a very good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

Yeah, I'd want other issues sorted first. As mentioned it's purely a cosmetic thing but it'd just add a little something... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if it's true that the guy who developed Facegen was completely seperate to the main game, that would probably be the same here. The development of this map would be seperate to the main game.

Yeah, I'd want other issues sorted first. As mentioned it's purely a cosmetic thing but it'd just add a little something... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if it's true that the guy who developed Facegen was completely seperate to the main game, that would probably be the same here. The development of this map would be seperate to the main game.

Nice idea as a seperate entity that you could perhaps click under a heading of "Location" in one of the menus perhaps.

In practice though, it probably would'nt bother me. Just have your game windowed and get Google Earth running in the background icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

Nice idea as a seperate entity that you could perhaps click under a heading of "Location" in one of the menus perhaps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, it would probably be a little map on the clubs information screen with a dot for the clubs location. Maybe if they use a bigger or more localised map they could show where your rivals are, but other than that I can't think of much else for it.

It's not a purely cosmetic item either. Geographical locations play a part in whether a player will sign for you, who you can get as a feeder / parent club, and who is likely to come on loan.

A map would be useful as I doubt any of us could say exactly where every team in every league is based. I'd like to see it implemented, particularly when I want to make a loan signing and would like to know which big teams are close by that I can poach from. I doubt many young players are going to want to move just to go on loan for a short period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by htfc_ttid@yahoo.co.uk:

So places didn't get clogged up you could have a circle on London saying "23" for the 23 London clubs, you could then double click and it could take you onto a list of London clubs.

To understand what I'm getting at and how this idea could work I'd strongly advise those who haven't to visit www.footiemap.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...nice site and pretty much how I pictured a similar implementation in FM, except for maybe the need to show roads but I still like the look of it. The filters that site has too for only showing clubs from certain leagues when you click on a country is how envisioned the same feature in FM to operate.

Having a map would give some context to clubs instead of just a list of names in some foreign location. The game needs more atmosphere instead of the clinical approach it currently suffers from. We don't even get crowd chanting anymore icon_frown.gif

Hopefully they would then be able to take the next step in this, which would be to develop rivalries. If two teams are close to each other, and play in the same league, a rivalry might build up, and the map would be able to show local derbies. That's one thing I would like to see in FM2009 - when you get a non-league team to the Premiership, they never have any derby matches at all, whereas established teams have loads.

I wouldn't mind this if you took it a little further, two points in particular stand out:

1) Population of an area - if I'm taking a club from bottom of the heap to top dog, I'd love to be in an area with loads of potential fans. icon_wink.gif

2) A rough idea of city popularity. If I remember rightly, the editor has an option to edit a city's attractiveness. Surely it's going to be easier for a London team to sign someone than Wigan. We've seen it in real life after all. icon_wink.gif

I like this idea, in fact I suggested this long ago back in 2002 or so and got my head bit off by the anti-cosmetic changes snobs on these forums.

On the issue of clutter, that could be easily solved by a zoom feature. The map would orginally be zoomed out to show the entire world and then can be zoomed in to the city level. Of course there would be filters so you wouldn't see every club in the world on the map at once if you didn't want to.

I like it. Pointless in terms of gameplay but would improve the overall feel of the game, which is what is needed. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded icon14.gif

We don't need another Fifa Manager 2008 lookalike icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spoonguardreturns:

It's an interesting suggestion, but it might not always work. What if you created a side, and didn't specify where it was? How would that decide where it was? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty sure you have to specify a location when creating a side, so i don't think that'd be an issue. i don't see why anyone would bother creating a side without wanting to specify its location anyway.

really like the idea. in the grand FM scheme of things there are lots of other fixes or new features i'd like to see carried out/introduced first, but it would be good to see this in the game at some point.

threads like this re-emphasise the need for the return of the 'Suggestions for future versions' forum as well - hope this won't disappear down the page before the SI lads get the chance to see it.

Bump for good measure. icon_smile.gif

Just in case no-one has checked out the link previously posted above, here is a sample map of all the club locations in the Blue Square Premier English league.

Maybe I'm biased but I'd rather such a new feature be included sooner then later and hopefully wouldn't take development time away from tweaking other existing features. It would also make a nifty new feature for FM Live too.

there are quite a number of pointless features in the game already...eg Man U, Arsenal

i think its a great idea. at least people will finally know where newcastle is

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nostromo:

i think its a great idea. at least people will finally know where newcastle is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's about 100kms north of Sydney icon_biggrin.gif

I really do like the idea and it is something that has been mentioned before.

The only problem is although many of us support this kind of feature being bought in there will be a large number who would complain if this was to be bought in that SI weren't doing enough to include 'more important' new features. We have seen the countless threads complaining this year that not enough big new changes have been made but for me i quite appreciate the little things that get changed/added

I like the idea, however, I think it should be done for each league, rather than a large map of every club. So when you look at your league data, you could see where the other clubs in the league are, and it could show you where your next opponents are in relation to you.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like the idea, however, I think it should be done for each league, rather than a large map of every club. So when you look at your league data, you could see where the other clubs in the league are, and it could show you where your next opponents are in relation to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the functionality to display maps and locations on them was there then you could use them in a variety of different ways and wouldn't just be limited to one thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spoonguardreturns:

It's an interesting suggestion, but it might not always work. What if you created a side, and didn't specify where it was? How would that decide where it was? And wouldn't London get a bit congested, with so many teams there? Considering the size the map would be, it would be a bit cramped. And there would, of course, be the same people who complained about Facegen complaining again.

But I do think that little cosmetic changes like that are what will drive the series and the game forward, so, if they can solve the little teething problems, then I think it would potentially be a very good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

easiest fix would be to make you choose where your team is.

I think this is one of the best ideas that I've heard in quite some time. Besides just being a cool feature, I can think of some real uses for this. As someone who always plays smaller lower league teams, I don't always know where they are and spend time looking them up on the web and in my atlas. Also it would be great to see what other teams are in your geographic location so that you will easily know which teams will be natural rivals that you better beat. Also it would be great to scout the local talent, as I would love to see it easier to sign local players in the game because they would like to stay close to home. I could go on and on here. By the way, there is a website along these lines with maps if anyone is interested:

http://www.footiemap.com/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powermonger:

This would add a bit more personality to the game instead of it feeling so cold and analytical all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be ace!

Archived