CPU Vs RAM

Fairly simple question, I'm planning on getting a new PC in a week or so when my tax refund comes in and I'm wondering, in regards to FM12 what has the biggest impact on game speed.

Should I pony up for the faster CPU or more RAM (I'm assuming that FM bottlenecks on one of these, just wondering which resource it taxes more, so that I can get more capacity there)

Currently FM does not take advantage of a 64bit environment. I expect it will soon but for current versions it can only see 3.5GB.

See here for a "processor ranking". there is some variation as people have over-clocked and some have not and others have a better overall system.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/285828-Football-Manager-12-Benchmark-Thread?highlight=benchmarking+thread

Currently FM does not take advantage of a 64bit environment. I expect it will soon but for current versions it can only see 3.5GB.

See here for a "processor ranking". there is some variation as people have over-clocked and some have not and others have a better overall system.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/285828-Football-Manager-12-Benchmark-Thread?highlight=benchmarking+thread

im really hoping 13 is going to be 64bit.

im really hoping 13 is going to be 64bit.

Unlikely to happen for FM13, I think the Steam data will show that there is still a good percentage of players using a 32bit OS, hopefully one of the main benefits we see from being FM being a Steam only release is that SI will know when 64bit pushes over 85% which is what I believe will be the magic number.

Eventually I expect there will be a hybrid version which bridges the gap with 32 bit and 64 bit support. We are still years away from 32 bit being completely phased out.

From a technical point of view, that's neither feasible, meaningful nor possible. We are already gradually moving into more expansive 64 bit support (Skyrim has just been patched to allow the game to use over 2GB of RAM, for example) applications are already in the "hybrid stage" where they can use 2GB but don't crash because there's 4gb installed.

Eventually I expect there will be a hybrid version which bridges the gap with 32 bit and 64 bit support. We are still years away from 32 bit being completely phased out.
General figures on 32bit usage will be skewed by business users in much the same way XP is over all other OS options.

In terms of gaming software I now think that a vast majority of the potential consumer base will be using a 64bit OS within the next 12-18 months, according to Steam 64bit accounts for just over 60% of all submitted system reports which seems to have been a significant increase from the last time I saw the figures.

From a technical point of view, that's neither feasible, meaningful nor possible. We are already gradually moving into more expansive 64 bit support (Skyrim has just been patched to allow the game to use over 2GB of RAM, for example) applications are already in the "hybrid stage" where they can use 2GB but don't crash because there's 4gb installed.

I don't mean flat out "this one piece will detect and adjust" but WoW for example is launching a 64 bit version alongside its 32 bit version - this is what I expect to happen in the future. Swtor has a solution which uses 2 .exe's to draw upon more memory and skyrim as you used the example of had the update to use more RAM.

Sooner or later for most games it will be as simple as you go to the shop and buy the game, and then when you get home you can choose the 64 bit or 32 bit, through something like an additional download or choosing it from steam. A number of pieces of software are finally beginning to drop support for windows 2000 which shows how long 32 bit could hang around in terms of needing support. The next generation of consoles, as much as I detest console gaming, it could speed or slow down the process on the game front enormously.

Archived