How do i reduce club debt?

renegotiate shorter contracts to players on long term deals

renegotiate players/staff wages down and remove bonus payments and yearly wage rises etc

Sell players

loan players for money

Release players at the end of contracts (renegotiated to end of current season if required)

Keep a smaller squad

The other side of it

Take the time to find the best possible loan players, filter by skills rather than who your assistant thinks are unrealistic

Take the time to sign the best possible free transfers

For short term cash prioritise the cups

Only sign players on basic contracts with few bonuses etc

Qualify for champions league

Buy young talented players (Max 19 years). Play and train them for 2 years. Sell with enormous profit.

And what the other guy said. It's a bit difficult to give more precise answers when you haven't given any information about your team...

Something I've always wondered. Say you have 10 million in the transfer kitty - but you don't want to buy anyone - could there be an option to put this money into the debt instead and help pay it off quicker?

I doubt it, because your transfer budget isn't a separate amount of cash from your bank balance. If you spend it your balance goes down, if you don't the balance stays the same.

Once your finances are labeled "rich" the debts are paid off. Until then, I assume you want to go with a profit every month, and to do that wages must go down while the club is growing so that the income increases. There's normally not much money to be made until you are in the top division of the country you are playing in. If you take over a Premier League club it is difficult to earn money without CL because of the enormous Non-Football costs, but even smaller clubs slowly catch up with that cost over time once they are promoted.

The maximum wage limit set by the board is extremely high, so I divide it by two or even three to filter out unrealistic players. This can only be done by signing players from smaller clubs than yourself and/or someone who is already on lower wages, so avoid star players who streches your budget - they are usually not that much better at any point anyway. It is advisable to sign hot prospects on low weekly wages and rather high wages after 20+ matches for the club. They usually agree to that and this can save a lot of money. A little mean trick is to give them a new contract the match before they would have had gained the new wage... but that is a bit exploitative.

Wages - pure and simple. If you are £20K per week under your budget, that's £1M a year saved. I am currently £200K-£300K under my budget at Man U and have no problems with money. You also get an excellent rating from the board for your control of the finances and this is paramount with the littler clubs if you want to keep your job!

Look at who your highest earners are. If they aren't key players, get rid of them or renegotiate their contracts. Sign freebies who have been out of contract for a while. They will accept lower wages. Get rid of the reserves for a few seasons if you are that desperate. Get rid of any youth players who are crap as well. The club will generate 'greyed out' youth players to replace them.

• 7 months later...

Buy cheap, sell high.

The free transfers is probably the best bet. Take a lot of players on trial, you can sort them by potential and current ability. Then hire the best ones.

At the end of the season sell or loan them out for cash.

Winning competitions helps too.

I think the issue for me is that say you are paying back a debt of £20 million over 10 years with the payments each month.

What I'd like is an option to put some of my balance / transfer budget into this debt immediately to wipe it out - rather than go to shareholders or whatever.

That is not the job of a manager, that is controlled by the board.

The board will sometimes, if they can, pay off (some of) the loan early.

The transfer budget has nothing to do with debt, other than how much budget you are given at the start of each season.

I think the issue for me is that say you are paying back a debt of £20 million over 10 years with the payments each month.

What I'd like is an option to put some of my balance / transfer budget into this debt immediately to wipe it out - rather than go to shareholders or whatever.

This was what I tried to say in my previous post about being rich. My board did this, they paid off the debt with the bank balance. I had hundreds of millions in the bank at that point so the loan was the proverbial drop of water in the ocean, but they did it!

In the last editions I noticed that the rewards after winning competitions were really low, for example being myself a LLM when I won the Johnston Trophy I expected really much more than the two peanuts I was given. ( now I don't remember the precise amount but I clearly remember it was close to nothing ).

get your non playing staff on long term contracts. if any get poached you will get decent compensation, andf in many cases can find a similar replacement for free or a lot less.

not going to make you a fortune but every penny counts.

friendlies will bring in a few quid, especially pre season when the bigger clubs are available.

Archived