For Club and Country - Patriot or Preposterous?

Dave.

264px-Flag_of_San_Marino.svg.png

I've tried doing a sort of 'double challenge' with San Marino before, and had a lot of fun with it. The aim was to conquer Europe and the world with both club and country. I've taken the club side in Italian football, San Marino Calcio to Serie A and the UEFA Cup, but never further, and I've managed little more than two or three unexpected wins as the national side.

But it was worth it for the ride alone, and that's why I'm going back. This time, I'm not going to be managing in Italy, but rather San Marino itself. I'm going to be playing as Davide Lucarelli, former San Marino international footballer who at the age of 31, has just taken over the reigns of Tre Penne. The side is based in the City of San Marino, the capital of the tiny enclave of Italy, and despite never having won a league title, are one of the favourites this time around. They have been a steadily improving side, and it is Lucarelli's aim to transform them not only into San Marino's dominant teams, but also one of Europe's, while at the same time trying to achieve success with the perennial whipping boys that are the national team.

A set of goals has been drafted up, which Lucarelli has made it his life's work to achieve. As can be seen, some are rather more achievable than others. Wish Lucarelli luck; he's going to need it.

[b]Goals[/b]

[i]Club[/i]

- Win the Campionato Sammarinese - COMPLETE (2012)
- Win the Trofeo Federale - COMPLETE (2012)
- Win the Coppa Titano - COMPLETE (2012)
- Qualify for the Champions' League - COMPLETE (2012)
- Win the domestic treble - COMPLETE (2012)
- Go a season unbeaten - COMPLETE (2012)
- Produce a youth player that represents the national team - COMPLETE (2018)
- Transform the club into a professional outfit - COMPLETE (2018)
- Reach a continental competition group stage - COMPLETE (2016)
- Beat a Serie A club in Europe - COMPLETE (2021)
- Win a European club competition
- Win the World Club Championship
- Number one ranked team in Europe

[i]National Team[/i]

- Win a match (second ever) - COMPLETE (2012)
- Win a European Championship or World Cup Qualifying game - COMPLETE (2012)
- Finish off the bottom of a qualifying group
- Qualify for an international competition
- Beat Italy
- Win an international competition
- Become the highest ranked international team

Lucarelli joined a little too late for the Europa League 1st Qualifying match against Rabotnicki, which was lost 1-0 on aggregate. His first match in charge was the 3-1 trouncing of the Tre Penne U19s (always good to get off to a winning start right?) and after failing to organise any friendlies he was happy with, he would have to wait until the league started in September for his second.

International competition begun in August though, with a friendly against Greece.

Friendly, 10 August 2011.

Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus.

Greece (1)5-0(0) San Marino

It was a tough first game, with the tiny nation keeping in touch until about the 50th minutes, when the floodgate opened. Both Marani and star man Selva were unlucky not to get themselves on the scoresheet towards the end of the match.

The first competitive club game turned out not to be in the league at all, but rather in the Trofeo Federale. This competition is contested annually by the four finalists of the Campionato Sammarinese and the Coppa Titano. As the league runners up from the 2010/11 season, Tre Penne qualified for this competition, and were drawn against cup runners up Virtus in the semis.

Trofeo Federale Semi Final, 28 August 2011.

Fonte dell'Ovo, Acquaviva.

Virtus (0)0-2(2) Tre Penne

Vannucci 22, Bucci 37

An excellent result for Lucarelli, providing fans with instant joy. Tre Fiori will contest the final with his victorious charges, to be held on the 23rd November at the national stadium, Olimpico.

Cejas looks immense for this league.

He is, he's outrageously good, way better than any other 'keeper. When my scout gave me a report on him, and I found out I was actually able to offer him an amateur contract I was shocked. It's just a case of crossing fingers that no other clubs come in for him because if they do, as an amateur club, we have no way of trying to keep hold of him short of re-offering the same contract.

September 2011

Club

Coppa Titano Grp C, 14 September 2011.

Chiesanuova, Chiesanuova.

San Giovanni (0)0-2(1) Tre Penne

Maggiore pen 29, 63

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 25 September 2011.

Domagnano, Domagnano.

Libertas (0)0-1(1) Tre Penne

Sedivec 22

Country

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E, 2 September 2011.

De Kuip, Rotterdam.

Netherlands (3)8-0(0) San Marino

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E, 6 September 2011.

Olimpico, Serravalle.

San Marino (0)1-4(2) Sweden

Marani 61

A very pleasing month for Lucarelli club wise, and perhaps not the worst for his country either. Granted, the Netherlands loss was large even for San Marino's standards, but a goal against Sweden may live in the memory for a while. One more international match in this qualifying campaign remains, away to Moldova, with San Marino yet to pick up a point.

October 2011

Club

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 15 October 2011.

Tre Penne (2)2-1(0) Cosmos

Bucci 20, Maggiore 24

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 22 October 2011.

Chiesanuova, Chiesanuova.

San Giovanni (0)1-4(3) Tre Penne

Sedivec 12, 20, Parma 36, Simoncini 73

Coppa Titano Grp C, 26 October 2011.

Tre Penne (1)2-1(0) Cailungo

Maggiore 9, Oshadogan pen 90+4

Country

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E, 11 October 2011.

Zimbru, Chişinău.

Moldova (3)3-0(0) San Marino

Still with a 100% record in all competitions, things are looking rosy for Tre Penne. Could this be their season? Lucarelli has had little luck in turning around the national team's performances thus far, and a 3-0 loss in Moldova did nothing to disprove that. Still, he'll be looking forward to a clean slate to start with next year in the World Cup Qualification. A friendly against Wales awaits next month.

November 2011

Club

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 5 November 2011.

Tre Penne (1)4-0(0) Faetano

Bucci 11, Oshadogan pen 57, Maggiore 64, Biliotti 71

Coppa Titano Grp C, 16 November 2011.

San Giovanni (0)0-2(0) Tre Penne

Vitaoli 81, Gorgone 90+4

Trofeo Federale Final, 23 November 2011.

Olimpico, Serravalle.

Tre Penne (1)1-0(0) Tre Fiore

Biliotti 43

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 26 November 2011.

Campo Sportivo, Borgo Maggiore.

Cailungo (1)2-2(1) Tre Penne

Della Valle 45+1, O Brand Rivas 64

Country

Friendly, 12 November 2011.

The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham.

Wales (3)7-0(0) San Marino

Lucarelli's first trophy came in November; hopefully the first of many more to come. However, the winning run also came to an end with the draw at Cailungo, where his team were twice behind. In international matters, the team lost to Wales, in a very disappointing performance. The Sammarinese FA have announced their intention to teach the team how to win on a 'world tour', where they will play the lowest ranked team beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Masterstroke or ridiculous?

December 2011

Club

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 18 December 2011.

Tre Penne (0)3-0(0) La Fiorita

Gorgone 48, Maggiore 59, Vannucci 85

Only one match this month, but it was a positive one. Victory over La Fiorita ensures we end the year top of our Campionato Sammarinese group, as well as have secured qualification from the Coppa Titano group stages and of course the Trofeo Federale title. Hopefully the second half of the season can be just as successful.

Some pretty good results so far. Great signing in Cejas :cool:.

Thanks! Yeah he's a cracking player for this level. I hired a Turkish scout (the only scout I could attract with a determination of greater than 3) and he's dug up a few gems; the best one being Cejas.

Looks like a long way to go internationally.

Completely. The clubs in San Marino are producing crap too; my best prospect is a 4 star potential midfielder who's expected to be 'as good' as San Marino's current midfield - and I haven't yet found a single regen from any other club even at that level. We've also just lost 2-0 at home to Andorra, so that probably demonstrates the extent of the challenge ahead.

Still, I'm sticking with my side all the way - I'm no Capello.

January 2012

75px-SP_Tre_Penne_logo.png

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 8 January 2012.

Tre Penne (1)3-1(1) Libertas

Maggiore 45+2, 46, Vannucci 53

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 29 January 2012.

Serravalle (B), Serravalle.

Cosmos (0)1-2(1) Tre Penne

Maggiore 12, Biliotti 75

A perfect month club wise, Tre Penne have almost sewn up qualification for the Campionato Sammarinese Champions' Playoff. Three more points would guarantee it.

February 2012

San_Marino_national_football_team_logo.png

Friendly, 29 February 2012.

Olimpico, Serravalle.

San Marino (0)0-2(1) Andorra

Disappointing. Yes, they're a better team than us, but at home this is a match we really should be competing in. We nearly matched them for possesion and chances but did nothing with what we had. Lucarelli is expecting a vastly improved performance against Brunei in June. No club games for Tre Penne this month.

March 2012

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 10 March 2012.

Tre Penne (1)1-1(0) San Giovanni

Molinari og 4

Coppa Titano Grp C, 28 March 2012.

Tre Penne (2)4-0(0) Juvenes Dogana

Maggiore 24, Bugli 42, Vannucci 50, Parma 89

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 31 March 2012.

Faetano, Faetano.

Faetano (0)1-1(0) Tre Penne

Taurisano 78

Not the best month. Unbeaten still, which is nice, but two disappointing draws in games we should well have won. Still, we've qualified for the Champions' playoff in the league, which is a 6-team mini league contested by the top three from each group. The winner is the Sammarinese champion and will represent the nation in the Champions' League next season. We're through to the Coppa Titano quarters, winning all four games in our group. The winner of that competition gains entry to the Europa League. The quarters, semis and final itself are all in April. Could be a big month.

April 2012

Coppa Titano Quarter Final, 18 April 2012.

Tre Penne (0)2-1(0) Juvenes Dogana

Oshadogan pen 63, O Brand Rivas 76

Campionato Sammarinese Grp B, 21 April 2012.

Tre Penne (2)3-0(0) Cailungo

Innocentin 9, Gorgone 45+1, Cervellini 75

Coppa Titano Semi Final, 25 April 2012.

Tre Penne (0)2-1(1) Tre Fiore

O Brand Rivas 54, Bucchi 60

Coppa Titano Final, 29 April 2012.

Olimpico, Serravalle.

Fiorentino (0)0-3(1) Tre Penne

O Brand Rivas 45, Maggiore 79, Bugli 83

We'd just thrashed Juvenes Dogana at home in the group, so to draw them at home again in the quarters was great. However, the match was much closer, and 2-1 was just about the right result. The same was true in the semis, where we played one of the best teams in the country. The final was a lot easier, as in Fiorentino we were playing a side who had done very well to reach the final and perhaps were a little overawed by the occasion. The league match was a non-event - we had already sewn up qualification, and I played a few of the fringe players, who ran out comfortable winners. One more league game left before the Champions' playoff.

May 2012

Campionato Sammarinese Champ. Playoff, 20 May 2012.

Federico Crescentini, Fiorentino.

Tre Fiore (0)0-1(1) Tre Penne

Maggiore 28

Campionato Sammarinese Champ. Playoff, 23 May 2012.

Tre Penne (4)7-1(1) La Fiorita

Oshadogan pen 7, 36, 48, Bucchi 28, Maggiore 41, 54, O Brand Rivas 89

Campionato Sammarinese Champ. Playoff, 26 May 2012.

Virtus (1)1-4(1) Tre Penne

Parma 38, O Brand Rivas 59, 81, Polidori og 88

Campionato Sammarinese Champ. Playoff, 28 May 2012.

Serravalle (B), Serravalle.

Murata (0)0-2(2) Tre Penne

Maggiore 12, Biliotti 30

Campionato Sammarinese Champ. Playoff, 30 May 2012.

Tre Penne (1)3-0(0) Faetano

Biliotti 40, 90, Vannucci 62

Simples. Davide Lucarelli's side wrap up the treble with a convincing week and a half contesting the Campionato Sammarinese Champions' Playoff. They'll now play in the Champions' League next season, while Murata and Tre Fiore qualify for the Europa League. A huge £435 in prize money was gained, too...

June 2012

San_Marino_national_football_team_logo.png

Friendly, 29 February 2012.

Padang Jabatan Belia and Sukan, Berakas.

Brunei (3)4-1(1) San Marino

Berretti 21

Ouch! On paper, this really should have been a win. We were outperformed vastly though. More performances like this, and it's likely that Lucarelli will be sacked before he sees the national side pick up a win. Or even a draw.

July 2012

Champions' League 1st Qual Rnd, 4, 11 July 2012.

B36 (3)5-1(0) Tre Penne

A disappointing tie really. We lost 3-0 in the first leg, mainly thanks to an early red card. We hit the bar twice too. B36 had two penalties. Second leg was similar. We led 1-0, hit the post when we could have made it 3-2 and things really interesting, got a red card, gave away another penalty, and ended up losing that match too. Still, the best part of £300k gained, so it's not all doom and gloom. Better luck next year, eh?

So, as well as losing about 10 players to retirement, we've lost about three first teamers and our best youth player by a country mile to Tre Fiore and Faetano, who seem intent on ruining us. Christ, I'll be glad when we're able to make the step up from being an amateur club.

Lost 7-1 to Montenegro, and then somehow beat Moldova 1-0 (second ever win for the national team!)

However, I've decided to quit my role as San Marino manager because it's just too annoying at the moment. I want to focus on club football at the moment, and hopefully in the future the Sammarinese FA will have me back.

I've done (more like attempted) The San Marino Treble, where you take San Marino NT the club and a club from Sammarinese league and try go as far as possible, and one thing I found in the short career I had was that a lot of Argentinians and some Uruguayans like signing for the club. Not sure why but they were always much better than any of the Italian players you could pick up and more willing to sign for less money..

I've done (more like attempted) The San Marino Treble, where you take San Marino NT the club and a club from Sammarinese league and try go as far as possible, and one thing I found in the short career I had was that a lot of Argentinians and some Uruguayans like signing for the club. Not sure why but they were always much better than any of the Italian players you could pick up and more willing to sign for less money..

You're bang on there. I've got about 5 or 6 decent mid-30s Argentines in my squad now. No Uruguayans as of yet. I'd like to have an all, or at least mostly, Sammarinese squad, but the ones around at the moment are just not good enough.

The board agreed to improve youth facilities, but now have scrapped those plans due to a lack of funds... :mad:

Sooo... This insanely addictive game got me playing well ahead of myself and I've been neglecting this thread, so apologies for that. I'm currently in August 2016, the start of my 6th season in charge of Tre Penne. We've won the Campionato Sammarinese five out of five seasons, and the Trofeo Federale and Coppa Titano four times each. Both times we lost, it was to Domagnano.

Europe wise, we've managed to get to the 3rd Qualifying round of the Champions league the last two seasons. Both times we lost, and then lost the Europa League 4th Qualifying round that followed. Those performances rose our coefficient to the point that this year, we entered at the 2nd Qualifying round.

This is what happened...

Somehow we were seeded for the Champions' Playoff! We drew Omonoia Nicosia... Fingers crossed! No matter what happens, we'll be in the group stages of one European competition or the other.

Below is my current squad.. Yes it's rather large! I can't find it in my heart to release those who don't want to leave, and since we're still amateur and nobody's being paid, why should I!

Squad20161.png

Squad20162.png

Would be amazing to see an amateur team in the group stage of the champions league :D

How long are the seasons taking in San Marino?

Funny you should say that...

Qualification.png

Might have done with an easier group mind.

GroupA-7.png

And the seasons are really fast - I'm able to get through at least a couple a day with the rate I'm currently playing.

By all means keep them coming. This is amazing!!!

Well then this is for you Jack. Shame we didn't win but I'm delighted with the result - we're not bottom of the group after our first game!

We're no Carmathen Town just yet (or indeed San Giovanni if Makoto happens to read this :p) but I'm in dreamland right now.

:D Amazing, just to get an amateur team in the group stage is big but to draw your first game is just incredible. Let's see if you can keep this results coming...

Well this brought us back down to earth with a bang. Worst thing is, it could have been a lot worse! We did miss a penalty and have a disallowed goal at 5-0 though, so maybe we were the tiniest bit unlucky. Shows the amount of work there's still to be done though.

I happen to be reading this and I'm following, and greatly envying you at the same time, amazing to get a result against Valencia :thup:

You're envying me!? :p If I ever manage to get this far with purely youth products then maybe you can envy me ;)

I wouldnt be too disheartened. On another day that penalty might have gone in which im sure would have sparked the biggest comeback in champions league history :p

Heh, that's what I thought too!

Oh another note, uh-oh...

ohdear.png

The first two rounds were pretty tricky, but we're through to the group stages again! We drew Man City, Marseille and PSV, so although we're clear underdogs again (whouda thunk it) it's definitely not quite as deadly a selection of opponents as last time. Not exactly expecting much though...

Just broke our attendance record with 2384 for the home match against Pennarossa. We're ground sharing with Domagnano (2575 capacity) before we move into our expanded 1773-all seater.

2384. That's 7.5% of San Marino's population. Move over Man Utd - that's what you call a popular team.

What did you edit out? I'm sure it won't be long until everyone in the country is in your stadium!!

Our results in the CL last season (four losses - 2-0, 3-0 vs Porto, 2-0 vs Valencia and 2-1 vs Chelsea). Also just a couple of things about how our stadium and facilities are being upgraded. If I don't hear back from the mods before my next end of season update I'll just include a little bit in that.

Haha! That's the dream.

So I've neglected ANOTHER end of season update, this game is too addictive, I just keep clicking 'continue!'

But the long and the short of it is, we're in the 2018/19 season, and have just come second in our Europa League group. First European knockout stages beckon...

You shall have to wait for the full story (those of you who care) until tomorrow, as the pub beckons now.

This is the post I managed to edit over: (from the 2016/17 season I do believe)

Apologies... I've managed to play the rest of the season again without updating. We again did the domestic treble, and as expected were knocked out in the Champions' League group stages, seen below. The board has upgraded the training facilities and the stadium is to be expanded to a 1000(ish)-all-seater. We're now professional, and I've trimmed the squad hugely, offering full time contracts to those retained. We were helped by Atalanta, Bari and Empoli, who swiped our three best players from last season :(

Next season I promise to do a full end of season review! Of course European and other huge news will be posted as I go.

So as can be seen, there were no more humiliations. We gave as good as we got in the home games, and perhaps could have nicked a point against Chelsea. Definitely outclassed away from home though all three times. If we are lucky enough to make it here again in the next two or three seasons, this experience could prove invaluable.

Archived