Injuries after making all 3 subs?

As much as I love FM, I constantly find myself with a man injured after making 3 subs.

Every time I post a thread about this I come up with the usual "it happens in real life" which to be honest is utter b***ocks, I can't remember the last time MOTD showed a team using there allocated subs and finding themselves down to 10 men. it appears that the game seems to work on averages but if it happens at least 5+ times a season then surely that is wrong.

It doesn't "even itself out" either as the game has never in all the years I have played FM had a player injured after making 3 subs.

hopefully some people amy agree with me this time as I know i'm not just going mad, especially when I can almost predict when it happens.

I wonder how often teams use all their subs before the final 5 minutes?

As for FM it happened to me once in the season I've just finished.

Edit: A quick check of the games last weekend shows that the most common time for the final sub to be used (if indeed all three are used) is between 85-90 minutes, I wonder what the average time is for folk who claim there are too many post 3rd sub injuries in FM?

As much as I love FM, I constantly find myself with a man injured after making 3 subs.

Every time I post a thread about this I come up with the usual "it happens in real life" which to be honest is utter b***ocks, I can't remember the last time MOTD showed a team using there allocated subs and finding themselves down to 10 men. it appears that the game seems to work on averages but if it happens at least 5+ times a season then surely that is wrong.

It doesn't "even itself out" either as the game has never in all the years I have played FM had a player injured after making 3 subs.

hopefully some people amy agree with me this time as I know i'm not just going mad, especially when I can almost predict when it happens.

You got screenshots of the games where this has happened and the times of the subs made?

This has happened to me now and again, i wouldn't say a massive amount. But enforced match day injuries do happen too often IMO.

I go with this, although I now always try to make sure I still have one substitution available at 90 mins just in case!

I do get the feeling that it happens more often than in real life, but don't have the stats to back it up.

Please feel free to start a bugs forum thread and post your examples (save the match PKM and upload them to the SI FTP) in it so it can get looked at.

I've renamed the thread as well so people know what it's about and can hopefully contribute.

What I would like is being able to take off a player that picked up a knock even if I have made all three subs. The few times it has happened the player always end up with a serious injury as I cant take him off to rest him.

I mean it should be my choice if I want to play with 10 players or risk a greater injury.

I use all my subs in almost every match to give players a run out and i have had an injury after making all 3 subs only four times in 9 seasons in my current save.

I remember this as i have gone on to win all four.....seems more of a challenge to me PLUS i have seen it happen to the AI more than it has happened to me so i aint complaining :)

I have recently been forced to make 3 subs in a game by 70 mins at least 5 times due to a busy schedule and a small squad due to my wage budget not changing even after two back to back league wins!

Each time I had this thread in mind and each time I had players go down to ~60% and not get injured... none! NOTHING!

How come when I had a big squad I got injuries every time? Does the game go "Aww poor human and his teeny wage budget, better not make things worse for the guy"

I haven't play fm 2012 long enough to make this kind of observation BUT in the almost two seasons I manage my team I had this kind of injury twice when I used up all of my subs. Now I simply uses two subs and keep one just incase :p (or if I do need to use the 3rd sub I usually wait until 75th-80th minute).

Be interesting to know how many people make all 3 subs around the 60 minute mark. How often is that seen IRL? not very, quote me if im wrong but id say the majority of managers dont use all three subs at all, and if they do the last one if usually last 5 10 min

What I would like is being able to take off a player that picked up a knock even if I have made all three subs. The few times it has happened the player always end up with a serious injury as I cant take him off to rest him.

I mean it should be my choice if I want to play with 10 players or risk a greater injury.

You can do that. Just try to sub the injured player and it gives you the option.

Every time I post a thread about this I come up with the usual "it happens in real life" which to be honest is utter b***ocks, I can't remember the last time MOTD showed a team using there allocated subs and finding themselves down to 10 men.

Why would MOTD show it? It's hardly a big event because it's rare that a team makes all 3 subs before 80-odd minutes, so playing a few minutes with 10 men isn't worthy of a highlight. Also, why is your evidence MOTD? Doesn't that mean there are hundreds/thousands of matches you have no information on?

Don't just dismiss the 'it happens irl' argument, nor use it without taking a closer look. Please take your time to actually think about what's going on here. Then you should see clearer in this case.

'It happens irl' is (only) part of the correct answer here. While it does happen irl, it happens a lot more often in FM than irl. That difference needs to be explained and I am convinced that here, it can be explained by the behaviour of FM users which differs from rl and thus leads to differing results.

I make my substitutions a lot earlier than managers do irl (my last sub is pretty much never made later than in the 75th minute, usually earlier) and I believe that this is true for most of the FM users.

Irl managers a lot more often than not still have one substitution option left until the very last minutes of the game. Naturally, they won't get into a situation in which an injury could appear after all substitutions have been made.

Check it, in the game this almost only happens after having made all substitutions way earlier than the last one would be used irl. Of course, that leads to a much higher likelihood of going down to 10 men due to having used all sub options earlier.

FM vs. RL difference explained, imho. :)

Sorry, I can't quite get my head round any of this.

You complain that you make 3 subs (the maximum) and then someone gets injured so you're left with 10 men. I would suggest that you are left with 10 men for a maximum of 5 minutes?

If not, why are you making subs too early? In real life a manager will often not make 3 subs, because he doesn't want to be left with 10 men if a player gets injured. If the 3rd sub is made, it is to really chase the game or very often the 3rd sub is made on 89 minutes.

I predict you are making sub number 3 at 70-80 minutes, at which point there is plenty of the game left.

Of course, towards the end of matches is where the players are tired and more susceptable to injuries.

I can only assume you are playing the game unrealistically by making 3 subs, every game, with time still to go.

Sorry, I can't quite get my head round any of this.

You complain that you make 3 subs (the maximum) and then someone gets injured so you're left with 10 men. I would suggest that you are left with 10 men for a maximum of 5 minutes?

If not, why are you making subs too early? In real life a manager will often not make 3 subs, because he doesn't want to be left with 10 men if a player gets injured. If the 3rd sub is made, it is to really chase the game or very often the 3rd sub is made on 89 minutes.

I predict you are making sub number 3 at 70-80 minutes, at which point there is plenty of the game left.

Of course, towards the end of matches is where the players are tired and more susceptable to injuries.

I can only assume you are playing the game unrealistically by making 3 subs, every game, with time still to go.

Exactly what I thought, I always save one sub untill like you said maybe the last 5 10 men untill Im either winning buy a considerable margin to rest players or chasing the game, bring on extra ST etc

Just had the whole injury after 3 subs hit me. Had a player sent off in the 47th minute, stupidly made 3 subs to re-shape. Already with 10 men, 58th minute down we go to 9 due to injury. 81st minute we get hit with another injury. Luckily we had a 3-0 lead at the break, managed to hold onto the win with just 8 players, finished 3-2. But still, the game is clearly broken, I want my money back :p

Just had the whole injury after 3 subs hit me. Had a player sent off in the 47th minute, stupidly made 3 subs to re-shape. Already with 10 men, 58th minute down we go to 9 due to injury. 81st minute we get hit with another injury. Luckily we had a 3-0 lead at the break, managed to hold onto the win with just 8 players, finished 3-2. But still, the game is clearly broken, I want my money back :p

How is that broken? Players can get injured at any point during the game? Just because you went down to 8 men doesnt so a broken game, it shows bad management IMO

It hardly happens in real life because real life managers don't use their last sub until very late in the game.

This. It infuriates me to watch coaches sit there with 3 unused subs as the game goes against their team...then they'll finally make one sub after 70 minutes, a second at 80 minutes, and finally a third sub at the ninety minute mark. Lot of good that final sub's gonna do you, isn't it?

This. It infuriates me to watch coaches sit there with 3 unused subs as the game goes against their team...then they'll finally make one sub after 70 minutes, a second at 80 minutes, and finally a third sub at the ninety minute mark. Lot of good that final sub's gonna do you, isn't it?

Technically subs aren't there to change tactics etc, they are there to cover injuries or at least that was the original intention.

Archived