How??

Can someone think of any reason why the following has just happened? I signed Kevin de Bruyne from Genk for my Arsenal team, January window in the first season. The deal went through just in time for the FA Cup 3rd round so I thought I would give him his debut only to find that he is cup tied!

I've checked his history to see if he was loaned to a club in England this season but he has only played for Genk.

How on earth can a player be cup tied when he hasn't even set foot in that country, let alone played in the competition?

Weird....:confused:

At a guess, possibly de Bruyne, played in the Belgian Cup ... (I have no idea what it is called) where in the the winner of that competition qualifies for the Euro, as does the FA Cup.

So as both Cups mean continental qualification for the winner, then maybe that is the reason he is cup tied

I am very much guessing btw...

I'm assuming it was a two-legged round of the competition?

If a player has been signed after the first leg has been played, he cannot take part in the second leg.

No, it was the FA Cup 3rd round so only one leg. I can only think that it was because the transfer went through on the day of the game,he wasn't available due to registration issues. I believe IRL they call it International Clearance, so really he wasn't "Cup-Tied" he was Unregistered.

Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

I have no idea if that's taken into account within the game or not, though it does sound likely.

In real life you have to be signed on the day before that rund takes place. If you are not then you can't play until the next round, and that includes replays.

In real life you have to be signed on the day before that rund takes place. If you are not then you can't play until the next round, and that includes replays.

This. IRL a players registration must be completed by 17:00 the day before to be elegible IIRC.

Archived