Does the game add new rivals

Do rivals get added in the game like players favourite personnel/club does? Also, does the values change for teams already rivals.

I made my own english league to tier 10 and the one thing i forgot was to give the teams a rival. I am Ashford United and I have played 3 years and not had any rivals added yet. I dont want to go back into the editor and have to start a new game as i am really into this one. I am loathed to start using FMRTE aswell (its like pringles-once you pop - you cant stop). Plus apparently you now have to buy it.

it doesnt make new rivals. Man Utd will still be rivals with Chelsea in 20 years in the game even if Chelsea were to fall into League 2. However you can probably use FMRTE to edit this without restarting your game.

I think it is seen as cheating if you are playing LLM rules, all 3rd part tools are.

I would love to see them added as the game went along. I have played PSG something like 10 times in the last 4 seasons in Europe, a small rivalry would have developed over those games in real life.

Would be a nice little feature but I think it's one that would be very hard to balance correctly, I could easily see a rivalry list getting quickly out of control as more & more teams were added.

FMRTE is a real time editor not made by SI. You basically run it at the same time you run FM and you can edit just about anything in your current game. Some people claim it can make things go wrong with your save game and others claim it is totally safe to use. To get it I think you have to donate one Euro.

Yeah, it's a minimum donation of one euro to enable the save feature; otherwise, it's a scouting tool for the most part. I did use it last year, though, to add a fierce rival with a team from my league after we met in the final of two different tournaments for 3 years in a row. Debating whether or not to add one in my current save, as I've met one team for the final in two years consecutive previously, and faced them in the same continental group on two occasions (including my current season.)

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't say it's hard to implement in the game. Let's say you're runner-up in the league two times in a row behind the same team, I'd say they should be new rivals.

I'm playing with Swansea and Arsenal have been my toughest opponent the last years in the race for the PL. I've also won two CL-finals against Porto. Neither of those have me listed as rivals. Only Cardiff City, and those Bristol teams. I think Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City should automatically become rivals since I've entered "their" territory. Also Porto would hate me for beating them in the CL-final two years straight.

And about the editor: I don't think it would be natural to add those rivals before the game starts.. you're not their rivals by then!!

Making rivals appear and possibly disappear would DEFINITELY be a huge boost to the game. I had a norwegian game once, where my team and Tromsø finished occupied the 1st and 2nd spots for a decade, alternating who got to win the title, as well as regularly playing the cup final. Of course a fierce rivalry would've developed.

Also it'll be a huge benefit for the realism of lower league teams travelling to the premiership. When ChoChoTrain FC has fought with United and City for the title for half a decade, I doubt they care much for the old rivalry they had with Plumbercrack United back in the day...

A real life example of that would be Stabæk, who played in the 5. division 20 years ago. I highly doubt anyone cares about the rivalries they had back then now...

Adding new rivals is one of the best uses of FMRTE imo. I can understand why FM doesn't alter with the rivalries in the game. It would be very hard to implement something like that with in the game. For when you take a lower league club up the league pyramid, it is fun to add new rivals yourself with FMRTE.

Making rivals appear and possibly disappear would DEFINITELY be a huge boost to the game. I had a norwegian game once, where my team and Tromsø finished occupied the 1st and 2nd spots for a decade, alternating who got to win the title, as well as regularly playing the cup final. Of course a fierce rivalry would've developed.

If you had that people would complain about certain rivalries disappearing. Then if you had something where you could gain rivalries and not lose them, then in long term games things could get to a ridiculous state where almost every club in a league are rivals with each other. I think the best bet is to not have anything like that, and players can just change their rivalries with FMRTE.

If your a good motivator, then naturally the games will be more difficult. If for your average league game, if you motivate your players more effectively than your opposition manager does for his team, then you'll have an inherent advantage. However on a Cup Final or derby game, both sets of players are likely to be as motivated as each other, therefore nullifying your usual advantage.

I do agree with you that Cup Finals and games with rival teams are more difficult (which is why I don't like to play rivals too often), but rightfully so.

Archived