Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't goalies get sent off for handling outside the box?

Handling the ball is a yellow card. Preventing a goal scoring opportunity is a red card.

Irl a goalie won't handle the ball unless preventing a goal scoring opportunity (or he must really be somewhere else with his mind), while in FM goalies tend to slide halfway across the field everytime they dive for the ball, so they tend to end up outside the box with the ball in their hands while nobody is even close, so they don't deny a goalscoring opportunity.

I've seen this happen twice in FM so far, and in both cases they've only received a yellow card. Yet last season (IIRC) Buffon was sent off for exactly the same offence.

It is not always handled properly by the match engine but it should be dependant on the circumstances. Deliberate handball should be a yellow card- deiberate handball denying the opposition a clear goal scoring opportunity should be a red card.

Didn't Oliver Kahn once punch the ball when he was upfield for an attacking corner.
Yes, and he scored! And he got a second yellow and was sent off...
And replied with the epic quote: I thought goalies were allowed to handle the ball inside the penalty area!

Good ol' Kahn, such a shame that he already retired.

That's a good sense of humour.

Quite a good goal I bet even though it didn't count.

It'd probably be hard to get out of your mind if a GK about handling the ball, it'd probably come naturally.

Hmm well im not a rules expert but i always thought it was red card offence aswell (tho i think i remember Sorensen getting yellow for Villa for handball a good few years ago)

happened in my save game aswell, Craig Gordon handled outside the box and i thought, oh crap, was a big game aswell i think against Celtic but to my surprise and joy he got yellow

PS - Oliver Kahn, Legend, best GK of his generation imo

Archived