Gutted :(

I'd be gutted too! 5th is a decent position too, especially with a Champs League final in the offing.

It's not good enough if he was expected to win the league though.

Did you say you'd win the title? or did the board set the expectations?

Haha,back on FM08 was it i think...after around 20 seasons with a bulgarian team i was fired for finishing 2nd in the league when i had 4 CL semi finals in the last 4 seasons and the season I was fired i played a final.The Board is a bitch but at least the fans should love you :)

Well coming in 5th after winning it last season is quite a bad performance, unless you heavily overperformed in that season somehow, which however the board won't realise. So getting the sack isn't that surprising.

The timing however is insane and would never happen in my eyes and wasn't it so that the winner qualifies for next years champions league anyway? I'd say the board should at least wait till after the finals, if you win you got a CL and CL next season which definitely should be enough to keep your job and if you lose then a sack is a realistic option considering a title challenger needs the funds from CL football.

On another note, do you remember the salary you were getting? This seems to be quite a big factor on whether you get sacked or not.

This sucks more than the thread about the guy being sacked by a new chairmen, definitely a bug & needs reporting if the OP has a pre-sacking save on file.

As for the general issue of getting sacked I think the game needs to add some extra interaction with the board, do we really think that a club will really sack their manager without talking to him first or at least giving him indications that he's under threat? It's why most sackings irl are noted as leaving by mutual consent.

The game should direct you to a board meeting where you are informed that they are thinking about asking you to step down & you then get the chance to plead your case, things like;

• We had a number of important players out injured, it was just bad luck.

• I shouldn't be judge on one poor season, let me put things right over the summer & I'll prove my worth next season.

• We may have had a poor league campaign but we did get the team to two cup finals.

The board may or may not agree to give you another chance & if they do the pressure should certainly be on to perform well at the start of the following season.

I think this is unrealistic, I think in real life he would have been given the chance to win the Champions League final if he lost then he should have been sacked.

I agree that the timing doesn't make sense yeah

This sucks more than the thread about the guy being sacked by a new chairmen, definitely a bug & needs reporting if the OP has a pre-sacking save on file.

As for the general issue of getting sacked I think the game needs to add some extra interaction with the board, do we really think that a club will really sack their manager without talking to him first or at least giving him indications that he's under threat? It's why most sackings irl are noted as leaving by mutual consent.

The game should direct you to a board meeting where you are informed that they are thinking about asking you to step down & you then get the chance to plead your case, things like;

• We had a number of important players out injured, it was just bad luck.

• I shouldn't be judge on one poor season, let me put things right over the summer & I'll prove my worth next season.

• We may have had a poor league campaign but we did get the team to two cup finals.

The board may or may not agree to give you another chance & if they do the pressure should certainly be on to perform well at the start of the following season.

Like that idea, you should be able to defend your position as a manager. Players have that option, such as when they are placed in the reserves, they give counter arguments regarding your decision. Players can also want/demand first team football, to which you are badgered about in press conferences.

Suffice to say I think the idea very worthy.

Possibly also, if it is not already in the game, media asking you whether you feel you are about to get fired etc.

That's awful, I think I would be throwing my laptop out of the window after that! I can understand if it were a Chelsea or Man City manager sacked for finishing 5th the next season after winning the league, as they have 'previous' for getting rid of managers rashly. But Ashley? Hmmm I'm not too sure he would do that, and this is coming from a Newcastle fan. That's without even thinking of the epic poor timing.

I think Barside's idea is an excellent one too, it would be a very, very worthy addition to the next version of the game.

Like that idea, you should be able to defend your position as a manager. Players have that option, such as when they are placed in the reserves, they give counter arguments regarding your decision. Players can also want/demand first team football, to which you are badgered about in press conferences.

Suffice to say I think the idea very worthy.

Possibly also, if it is not already in the game, media asking you whether you feel you are about to get fired etc.

In one of my saves, when i was predicited to finish 5th and was like 12-13th fighting for good results, had quite a lot of crappy results, i kept getting media messges saying "Manager has 1 game left to prove him self bla bl bla" "Sack looming for manager xx", it kept happening and happening pretty much everygame, in the end nothing came of it but i guess thats pretty much how your told about "incoming sack", i do find it a bit strange tho, I have been sacked before aswell but its always been at the end of the season during the season review thing.

PSG's Kambouaré got sacked after new chairmen took over. Not because he was doing bad, just because they wanted change.

In 1996 Otto Rehhagel was sacked as manager of Bayern München just a few days before the 1st leg of the UEFA Cup finals. Bayern was sitting at 2nd in the league...

Beckenbauer took over. The UEFA Cup final was his first game on the bench.

It happens.

Another thing was poor early form picked up during the middle/end of the season after I tweaked my formation and I lost 2 in about 13 games and won around 9, so I was on the way up aswell which the board should appreciate

Oh yeah I got taken over by chillean tycoon a few seasons back..so Ashley weren't the one who sacked me..still don't think it would happen in real life

there is a general issue here. I've seen a manager who's side reach a play-off final in the championship resign 2 days before the final to move to a side that finished mid-table

He of course would wait until at least after the final to see if he was managing next season in the premiership

there is a general issue here. I've seen a manager who's side reach a play-off final in the championship resign 2 days before the final to move to a side that finished mid-table

He of course would wait until at least after the final to see if he was managing next season in the premiership

This isnt related at all though, one instance is a FM player gettting sacked before a game that could have saved his season, and the other is a AI player choosing to move, I agree it is an issue, but it is not related to this one.

This isnt related at all though, one instance is a FM player gettting sacked before a game that could have saved his season, and the other is a AI player choosing to move, I agree it is an issue, but it is not related to this one.

He got sacked because he was tipped to win the league and finished 5th. Even winning the CL wouldn't have saved his job imo.

The board didn't even expect me to reach the final I don't think. The closest scenario to real life is Chelsea sacking AVB this season for their league position even though he's on course to guide them to their first champions league title. The lack of flexibility is very unrealistic

The board didn't even expect me to reach the final I don't think. The closest scenario to real life is Chelsea sacking AVB this season for their league position even though he's on course to guide them to their first champions league title. The lack of flexibility is very unrealistic

Chelsea board (read Abrahimovich) however only wants the CL, so they care pretty little for the league position. So until AVB is out off the CL, while CL qualification is still in danger, I don't think AVB will be sacked. However if your board is more interested in the league for their reasons it's not unlikely you'd get sacked when you don't even qualify for the CL while they expected you to win the league. Was the sacking immediately after the last league match?

It's a bit of a tough nut. Every board will have different expectations and every board will consider certain competitions more important than others. Question is just whether competitions should have a minimum importance, as the CL is the biggest event in club football and I highly doubt a manager would get the boot when he manages to win it, even if his league performance is below expecations.

Haha, this reminds me of last years game where ancelotti got sacked at chelsea even though he had a CL final in a couple of days. I got the job 2 days before the final, won it and then resigned. My reputation soared and I even got on the icons list! Soo unrealistic but pretty funny.

Feeling for you, I've not been as good on this version myself :p Can't remember the last time I was sacked before FM12 but got the boot after 6 months at Man City and on the verge of losing the Arsenal job on a network game with my brother (which would be horrendous :D)

The timing makes absolutely no sense. Not realistic in the slightest. If it happened to me I'd edit myself back in.

If they still wanted to fire me after the final, then fine. Still harsh but I could see it happening.

Yet another one who ignores my post. It's exactly what happened with Bayern Munich in 1996. Was that unrealistic, as well?

Yet another one who ignores my post. It's exactly what happened with Bayern Munich in 1996. Was that unrealistic, as well?

Well for starters it wasn't 'a few days' before the final, it was three weeks, allowing time for the new manager - who happened to be the club president and a legend - to work with the team to prepare. Not a new man off the street, as in Justino's case. Also, the board and team all hated him. Unlike Justino's case. Not only that, be had no prior success with the team (being his only season in charge of Bayern). Again, unlike Justino's case.

So, if by 'exactly what happened at Bayern' you mean 'not really similar at all' then yes, yes it is.

Archived