Can you do well in the top division?

Can you do well in the top divisions with really young players? Im talking about world class (or potentially world class) players at the age of 15-16 years old. I have quite a mixed bag in my Sheffield Wednesday side. I have a range of players aging from 15 to 31 in my team. I have good squad depth and I have 5 players that all have the potential of being 5* at my club with a PA of 190. The problem is they aren't that good at the moment. I have just started my 2nd season in the Premiership and so far have got hammered twice. I luckily won the league cup last season and im doing quite well in that at the moment.

The thing is I need to play these young players in order for them to develop or am I thinking in the wrong frame of mind.

This is what I am struggling with in my Bradford save. Half the team are promising youngsters who are not good enough for PL yet, so I can't play them too often and too many of them at the same time because the overall ability of the starting eleven would be too low (you can tell from the match odds).

It's quite frustrating really. I've played 3 lost 3 now in the premier league. I finished 6th last season and was consistantly good throughout. It's been a poor start and im hoping my players learn quick enough. There playing well in the European Cup. I'm through to the group stage now. I even then tried loaning them out and my assistant is adamant that they are part of my first team plans... They are really but just not good enough.... yet.

I think players develop best when they are playing at the right level for them - for their current level of ability. If they're not ready for the Premiership yet, consider whether they might be better off playing in the reserves or on loan at a lower level - so long as they're getting regular football. You mention a PA of 190 - but what about their CA? For top level football, I'd probably be looking for that to be at least 120 before I was giving them a regular chance, and 140 before I was starting them routinely - just my personal opinion.

A lot of times it will be difficult getting consistent performances out of a young squad, yet I don't think the game is being harsh enough towards the really young squads. I try to balance my youngsters with a good experienced player in each field of play, someon they can fall back on when things aren't going their way, that is when I can afford it. The times when financials don't allow this and I'm stuck with only youngsters my team is usually not performing as well as they could, sure when things are going their way they are doing extremly good but as soon as the tide turns on them they just don't seem to be able to get a grip and turn it around. Most players reach the top of their game in their late 20's and that should be reflected more.

i got to the premier league.

areola in goal, sanogo up front with wilfried, uros cosic and savic in defence all under 24, but i do have some experiance, had a backline under the age of 21 once or twice this season, and i finished 7th

on my second season got newgens on the fringes, and being used

only 1 month so far i havn't won the young player of the month award as well.

It's possible because the match engine favors physical attributes. As long as you have physically good youngsters and play a fast direct style of football, you should be able to at least qualify for continental with an exceptional U23 team.

Cup competition is a different story though. I'd dare to say that it's impossible to win Champions League with a U23 team, simply because most of them don't have the mental attributes to go through the knock-out rounds.

Archived