Wrongly Cup tied player?

ok so im managing Chelsea in 2017, have just signed a wonderkid 19 yr old striker from Cruziero in Brazil for big money (35m).

Next game up is Man City in Carling Cup semi final, trailing 2-1 from the first leg, so i think it perfect to unleash my new signing and see what he can do without the pressure of leading my line in a league match. To my surprise tho, i find said player is cup tied, despite him signing from a foreign country. What is more puzzling for me is that Brazil's season has only just started so i dont think it can be a follow on from a brazilian cup by error of the game because he didnt play a game in 2017 yet.

iirc the league cup works in a similar fashion to FA Cup replays therefore as he wasn't available for the first leg he cannot play in the second.

Yes, Barside is correct. It's definately in the rules for the FA Cup, but unfortunately the Carling Cup rules available on the website are not exactly in depth!

I seem to remember when Defoe went back to Tottenham 3 years ago, that there was a rush to get him signed before the semi final 1st leg against Burnley so he would be available to play in the 2nd.

Archived